Re: Group Buy On SCT Handheld Flash Programmers

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should we start a new thread with questions other than related to the group buy? That being said, I'll ask a question here:

I bought my Viper 3 years ago and I'm the 3rd owner. I have no idea if the previous owner(s) had the pcm reprogrammed. I was surprised when I dyno'd my car, as it put down 449rwhp/470rwtq. The mods are smooth tubes, hi-flo cats, and exhaust. I expected about 420-430rwhp. Do you think it's possible to gain 20rwhp+/- with the SCT programmer over what I put down? I know every dyno is different, so maybe the local dyno reads higher. The numbers were corrected and from a DynoJet. I'd just hate to buy the programmer and not gain or even lose power.

Another question. If the car battery dies, will that affect the tune stored on the pcm when replacing the battery?

Thanks!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Group Buy Interest:

1. 2k6voi9, '06 Coupe
2. Parisianviper, 01 RT/10
3. Chuck Greggs S Arizona ACR, ACR
4. Canyon707, 99ACR
5. CROM, 98 GTS
6. viperflex, 2004
7. 281cammer 01 GTS
8. Dimitrios, 05 SRT
9. ViperVon, RT/10 Year?
10. MTGTS, 01? GTS
11. FlyBy: 2000 GTS
12. cyaford, '97 GTS[
13. YELLOH SRT-10:2tu:
14.Viper 210, 96 GTS
15. ViperVegas 2001 GTS
16. ELW98

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Should we start a new thread with questions other than related to the group buy? That being said, I'll ask a question here:

I bought my Viper 3 years ago and I'm the 3rd owner. I have no idea if the previous owner(s) had the pcm reprogrammed. I was surprised when I dyno'd my car, as it put down 449rwhp/470rwtq. The mods are smooth tubes, hi-flo cats, and exhaust. I expected about 420-430rwhp. Do you think it's possible to gain 20rwhp+/- with the SCT programmer over what I put down? I know every dyno is different, so maybe the local dyno reads higher. The numbers were corrected and from a DynoJet. I'd just hate to buy the programmer and not gain or even lose power.

Another question. If the car battery dies, will that affect the tune stored on the pcm when replacing the battery?

Thanks!

That's just about where it should be, depending on what "exhaust" mods it has past high flow cats. On a '97 that probably started at about 405-410 RWHP stock, you can gain 15-17 RWHP for the cats and 17-20 RWHP for the smooth tubes and filters. Add a cat-back as the "exhaust" mod and you're right on target.
What you didn't do was increase the fuel at lower RPM, which gains throttle response / torque (and HP of course) and add ignition advance in the midrange (more torque again). Those would be the biggest areas of gain, though the upper RPM will benefit from the timing and fuel changes also.

If the battery dies or is disconnected, the program will not be lost.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's just about where it should be, depending on what "exhaust" mods it has past high flow cats. On a '97 that probably started at about 405-410 RWHP stock, you can gain 15-17 RWHP for the cats and 17-20 RWHP for the smooth tubes and filters. Add a cat-back as the "exhaust" mod and you're right on target.
What you didn't do was increase the fuel at lower RPM, which gains throttle response / torque (and HP of course) and add ignition advance in the midrange (more torque again). Those would be the biggest areas of gain, though the upper RPM will benefit from the timing and fuel changes also.

If the battery dies or is disconnected, the program will not be lost.

Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to be sure I would see some nice gains, whether it is peak numbers and/or more power under the curve.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in.

Group Buy Interest:

1. 2k6voi9, '06 Coupe
4. Canyon707, 99ACR
5. CROM, 98 GTS
6. viperflex, 2004
7. 281cammer 01 GTS
8. Dimitrios, 05 SRT
9. ViperVon, RT/10 Year?
10. MTGTS, 01? GTS
12. cyaford, '97 GTS[
13. YELLOH SRT-10
14.Viper 210, 96 GTS
15. ViperVegas 2001 GTS
16. ELW98
17. JiPi, 96 RT/10

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Sean,

If you can offer a special on the "Pro Racer" verison that comes with the tuning software, I am in.

Thx

-Jason

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in as long as my wife doesn't spend all of our money when we are in Hawaii next week!:omg:

Group Buy Interest:

1. 2k6voi9, '06 Coupe
4. Canyon707, 99ACR
5. CROM, 98 GTS
6. viperflex, 2004
7. 281cammer 01 GTS
8. Dimitrios, 05 SRT
9. ViperVon, RT/10 Year?
10. MTGTS, 01? GTS
12. cyaford, '97 GTS[
13. YELLOH SRT-10
14.Viper 210, 96 GTS
15. ViperVegas 2001 GTS
16. ELW98
17. JiPi, 96 RT/10
18. IEATVETS 00 GTS

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be interested.

I have 2006 Coupe with Green air filters and Corsa cat backs.

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Group Buy Interest:

1. 2k6voi9, '06 Coupe
4. Canyon707, 99ACR
5. CROM, 98 GTS
6. viperflex, 2004
7. 281cammer 01 GTS
8. Dimitrios, 05 SRT
9. ViperVon, RT/10 Year?
10. MTGTS, 01? GTS
12. cyaford, '97 GTS[
13. YELLOH SRT-10
14.Viper 210, 96 GTS
15. ViperVegas 2001 GTS
16. ELW98
17. JiPi, 96 RT/10
18. IEATVETS 00 GTS
19. Steveoviper, 2006 Coupe

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Group Buy for SCT Handheld Flash Programmers Is ON

Hi Everyone,

The Group Buy is on!

Between those who posted here and the ones who emailed that didn’t want their names posted, we have 24 people on. We should be able to place a large enough order to get the price down to $500.

What I’ve done so far is print everyone’s email and the list posted here.

What we need to do now is have everyone actually place their orders, giving us the specific modifications done to their cars (if any). We’ll take that information and create three tunes specifically for your car running 91, 93 and 94+ octane gas.

All the normal functions we change, such as turning the fan on at earlier low and high speed, turning off the skip shift, turning off the downstream cats, etc will be done as well. The box will save your original stock program and you’ll be able to go back to it at any time if needed for emissions testing or a dealer service.

We’ll take the orders this week, until the end of the day, Friday the 25th. To get the Group Buy price, you have to say you’re purchasing on the Viper Club Group Buy and let the person know your screen name (if you put yours on the list in this thread). If you don’t say you’re ordering on the Viper Club Group Buy, you won’t get the $99 discount.

We will place the stock order with SCT and begin shipping as soon as the boxes arrive (probably Wednesday).

Here are the ways to order:

• Fax (904) 529-1215. Write everything down about your car, your shipping and billing address, payment type (I assume everyone will use credit cards, so we’ll need all the info including the verification code on the back), provide your contact telephone number and desired shipping method. We’ve been using US Priority Mail lately and it’s working out quite well (2-3 day service).
  • Telephone (904) 529-1219. When you get into our phone system, dial extension 1 or 2, followed by the # key. The phones are on from 8:30 am until 5:30 pm EST.
  • Email [email protected] . This is the least secure for your credit card information and I don’t really suggest it unless you don’t have access to a fax or can’t call during our regular hours.
I think that just about covers it. If anyone else has any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Sean,

If you can offer a special on the "Pro Racer" verison that comes with the tuning software, I am in.

Thx

-Jason

Box and software is $1,900. I can take 2% off of that if you don't use a credit card. That's as low as I can go.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean. I'll be calling later today after my shift ends to place the order. Is there a "re-learn" required after installing a tune to the pcm? I was wanting to dyno the car with the factory tune, and then download the "93" tune and dyno again. In other words, do I need to install the "93" tune and drive around a while before dynoing, or can it be done on the fly without a re-learn? Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I suggest (on any car) that you turn the key on and show the PCM the fullt hrottle voltage range by pressing the pedal to the floor (engine off).
Beyond that, for your dyno test, Wide Open Throttle is open loop and you should get pretty close to the real results.
Driving causes closed loop adaptives to change, which can effect open loop offset on the fuel. But, if you're stock injectors and naturally aspirated, these are miniscule changes in WOT A/F.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeehaww. mine is on its way. if i could get around 20 rwhp on the dyno it would be more than worth the $500 and would be greatly happy. thanks Sean

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!! I expected mine around Friday. It just showed up this afternoon! Haven't had time to mess around with installing the tune, but it looks very straightforward.

vipervegas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Received mine Monday also, will install Sunday. Anyone had it installed already?

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the tune earlier. The only hard part was unplugging the damn thing. :hypno: It was much easier than I had thought. I used a Predator programmer for my '03 Cobra a few years ago, which was a similar device, but the SCT is much easier to use.

The results? Nothing mind blowing, as one would expect. The first thing I noticed was that the car is much smoother when at low rpms. Usually, the car would buck/stumble when in 1st at a low speed, such as driving slowly through a parking lot. Not anymore. At idle, the rpms aren't as jumpy as they once were. The car seems more civilized, though I'm sure nobody else would use the same word if they were in or on the outside of my Viper. :D

I plan on dynoing in a few weeks and will report back. Nothing was felt by the SOTP meter, but 20+/- rwhp on a 449rwhp car would be extremely hard to feel by anyone.

I used Tune 2, as 93 octane is the most we have in the area. I may try to round up some 94 or add some Torco and try the 94 tune as well. You know, to pick up that extra 5rwhp or so. :rolaugh:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios you should bring it with you to the dyno day and dyno the car once before the programming and then after it is installed...

Yeehaww. mine is on its way. if i could get around 20 rwhp on the dyno it would be more than worth the $500 and would be greatly happy. thanks Sean

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios you should bring it with you to the dyno day and dyno the car once before the programming and then after it is installed...

oh yea for sure. ive already installed it. took about 5 mins to download your stock program into te device and to upload the 93 oct tune into the PCM. the car feels smoother to say and at around 3000rpm and up if feels very strong and not as sluggish as it used to. as i mentioned before if i get 20rwhp out of it for the $500 i paid i wolud be more than happy. im not sure of the gains yet but will know in a few weeks on our NY dyno day.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Remember, we still provide after the sale support. If you find the program made for your car needs a tweak, we'll tweak it free of charge. All can be done by email.

Regarding the tunes, I like providing three tunes with the primary difference being the ignition timing curve. With variances in fuel, I find this a very safe way to go. If you run the mid program (geared toward 93 octane), yet have no pinging (you can look at the spark plugs, which is a better way than listening for it), you can go to the program with one degree more advance. The opposite is also true in that you can step down two degrees also. Unlike the stock timing curve that goes up and down during Wide Open Throttle, we have a nice curve built in. The fuel curves are made according to the engine modifications, specific for each car.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean. So it wouldn't hurt to run the 94 program on the dyno as long as the 93 program seems to be doing fine? I plan on doing a dyno in a few weeks with A/F readings as well. Unfortunately, they only have the tail pipe sniffers, so it will not be that accurate. Still better than nothing.

My goal now is to try and find 94 octane here in Nashville. :rolleyes: Hell, I thought 93 was good. :rolaugh:

Last edited:

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess you can use the 94 tune but if you hear pinging you might have to go back to 93 oct tune

prolly best way to do it is on a dyno with A/F

Hey Sean. So it wouldn't hurt to run the 94 program on the dyno as long as the 93 program seems to be doing fine? I plan on doing a dyno in a few weeks with A/F readings as well. Unfortunately, they only have the tail pipe sniffers, so it will not that accurate. Still better than nothing.

My goal now is to try and find 94 octane here in Nashville. :rolleyes: Hell, I thought 93 was good. :rolaugh:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess you can use the 94 tune but if you hear pinging you might have to go back to 93 oct tune

prolly best way to do it is on a dyno with A/F

That's what I had planned, was to first use the 94 tune on the dyno. A friend told me about a shop that sells 100 octane for around $5/gallon, which is not much more than we're paying for 93 here. :mad:

I plan on dynoing with just a low amount of 93 in the tank, and then adding a gallon or so of the 100 and re-dynoing with the 94 tune. Hell, I may just do one pull on the 94 tune with 93 octane and then add the 100 and re-dyno. The possiblities are mind boggling. :lmao:

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, think of the differences in programs relating to timing advance.
The higher the fuel octane, the earlier you can / should light the cylinder and the more power it will make.
Run the most advance you can without pinging / detonation. You don't have to (shouldn't) rely on your ears. Reading the spark plugs for signs of detonation is easy enough (use a magnifying glass). Look for small spots of "pepper" or little silver beads on the insulator.
You can probably find pictures online also.
We employ several methods of verification during the tuning process used to create the programs we're sending out to everyone.

Regards,
Sean

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the 93 tune today and did a lot of traffic cruising. First impressions:

- Power band seems smoother (more linear) throughout the RPM range during normal and agressive driving and acceleration
- When shifting through the gears the car is much less "herky jerky." No hesitation when getting back on the gas.
- Less hesitation and no bucking when staying in gear and depressing the throttle during normal driving to pass someone or accelerate

I can't really say much for WOT runs, the few I did through 1st and 2nd the car lit up 2nd a lot easier than usual.

Are these big differences? No, not really. Can I feel the difference? Yup.

Bottom line: The car seems much smoother throughout the powerband during normal and agressive driving and it seems to have an increased amount of "get up and go."

Thats it for now. I'll need to do some more driving and get on a dyno.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62