Rear lug nut twisted off

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing my wheels today, to have them sent out to be polished, and twisted in half one of my rear lug nuts. Don't know what could have made it freeze up. It screwed it off about half way (with some resistance) and it stopped. I wrenched it I little more and it snapped in half. I’ve taken these wheels off hundreds of time, I can’t believe I could have cross threaded them putting them on last time.

Any how need to put in a new lug nut. Any one know an easy way? I’m looked in my service manual and it looks involved. I hate to take it to dodge and Larry Mecedo is 2 1/2 hours away.
Help!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's very simple.

My steps are:

1. remove wheel
2. take off break calipers off the rotor
3. take off the 4 bolts holding the back of the hub on to the spindle
4. take off the main axel bolt..you will need to remove the cotter pin.
5. Pull off the hub assemble.
6. Knock out the bad stud with a hammer and maybe a pin.
7. Put new stud in and tap it in.
8. Put everything in back together.
9. tighten down by HAND and tire wrench until the rest of the bolt comes through...don't over tighten! You will cause the same problems.
10. Avoid using air guns to thread your nuts on your stud...this is where it can easily get cross threaded..do it by hand first then air gun.

Hope this helps...it's real simple to do. A 20-30 min job!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or: do step one and two-- use hammer to strike broken stud inwards to remove. Take new stud-- install from inside and use a spare lug nut (not the one you'll use) and two washers with an impact wrench. (air or electric) I'm just lazy! John

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the 10 step program. I had my front brake calipers and rotors moved to the back when I put the alcons up front. So I guess I’ve got to remove two sets of calipers to remove. Also, I always use a tork wrench when tightening the lug bolts. About 95lbs. I can’t understand what could of seized the bolt.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a front lug do the same thing, except it broke while still fully spun down. I had to end up drilling the lug out from the center just to get the lug nut off (a 350 ft/lb impact wrench wouldn't budge the lug nut). The lug replacement was as easy as ab says, but the drilling was a PITA.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use antiseize on the lugs. If you do not have them already, get solid lug nuts from Archer Racing Accessories. I replace my lug nuts each year since I have the wheels on and off lots during Viper Days.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks,
I have ordered new lug nuts, but for the shine not the quality. Why would it matter. I'm taking mine on and off all the time as well, for the driving school events down in florida.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or: do step one and two-- use hammer to strike broken stud inwards to remove. Take new stud-- install from inside and use a spare lug nut (not the one you'll use) and two washers with an impact wrench. (air or electric) I'm just lazy! John

That's my way.....or you could use ab's 6000 step method :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isn't it possible to knock you alignment out of whack if you just hammer away on the spindle? :confused:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Isn't it possible to knock you alignment out of whack if you just hammer away on the spindle? :confused:

Yes and that's why tony can't think or drive straight. :D

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of my rear lug nuts twist off. So do my front ones. Why is this a problem?

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the service manual it does say and I quote "DO NOT hammer it out of the flange, damage to the hub and bearing assembly will occur leading to premature bearing falure" but I too am lazy and looking for an easier way.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can hammer it out if you put a deep well socket in the back of it to support the hub. Don't hammer it with the it on the car...nooo!

Shebly! Very funny!

Tony...you're not funny...infact I am going to twist off a nut of yours...notice I said "nut" and not nuts! I may think that one over because if I did that you wouldn't have any balls left! Balless Tony..or should I say after the nut removel...Toni. :D :D :D :headbang:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where does it say to hammer on the spindle ?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I was waiting for your reply. Small hammer, drift punch-- strike the stud, the stud, the stud!!!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I was waiting for your reply. Small hammer, drift punch-- strike the stud, the stud, the stud!!! Or, bring it to my shop and help me pay next months rent. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4