Reliability on Gen 3

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Was wondering how reliable are the Gen3 Vipers, I know its not Honda civic reliable. Just wondering do the cars have allot of issues? Would appreciate feedback

Thank you

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very reliable.

SEARCH FEATURE

Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006, except for the occasional window regulator issue, that a number of us have experienced, that has been discussed in a number of threads, has been bullet proof. It may be more reliable than a Honda Civic. Personally, I would not rely on a Honda Civic for anything other than being a death trap if hit by a Ram pickup truck.

OP
OP
T

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006, except for the occasional window regulator issue, that a number of us have experienced, that has been discussed in a number of threads, has been bullet proof. It may be more reliable than a Honda Civic. Personally, I would not rely on a Honda Civic for anything other than being a death trap if hit by a Ram pickup truck.

Thanks for the input, I read about the window regulator issue online did not really understand what it was. Gonna search on the forum about it.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how reliable these cars are. I would say more reliable than a Honda, and I own and operate an auto repair shop. You couldn't give me a Honda. My 2c.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was about to say, a friend of mine at my gym is a Honda tech at a local dealership, and he can tell you Honda stories all day.

I think you'll find the Viper, like most Mopars, has a couple of nagging little issues, but overall reliability is high, assuming the car has been and continues to be properly maintained.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as Im concerned these snakes are bullit proof compared to other exotics..

clutch job on my viper..parts plus labor=$1000

clutch job on my nsx...parts plus labor=$3000

Abused the hell out of the stock Viper clutch..Probally 300 1/4 mile passes and 100 street races and the stock clutch lasted for 7 years...

nsx clutch. Drag raced her 3 times after installing a clutch two years prior and BAM..needs new clutch.

Vipers are amazingly bullit proof.

OP
OP
T

Trekk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to know, honestly people I know have a bad image of this car having reliability issues. Wherever I read seemed like the car is very reliable. I said best place to ask is here in the forums, and the feedbacks here are very positive and make me more confident is purchasing it.

Thank you

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Trekk before I bought my 03 in April I called the local Dodge dealer and asked to speak to their one and only Viper tech. I went out to meet him personally. He essentially confirmed what you heard on the forums. The Viper is very reliable. He rarely works on one except for maintenance. He did note the window lift regulator as a weak area. I had mine break about a month after I bought and my Viper only has 5000 miles on it at the time. So it is not only weak point but very susceptable to failing. And it is expensive to have the dealer fix because the part is like $800. I assume it is made in low volume. On the other hand if you are half way mechanical you can repair the existing part. I did for about 5 buck of parts and my labor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper