Removing clear-bra adhesive...how?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has some OLD clear bra material on the bottom lip of the front bumper and on the front edges of the sills. It's discolored, damaged and it needs to come off. The few pieces I've pulled off have left some adhesive residue that's proving difficult to remove. Anybody have a good, paint-safe solution for taking care of this left-over goo?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used a product made for body shops to remove tar wax and adhesives forget the name but bought it at oreillys auto parts.It works real well although I havent used it for clear bra. 85 of 200 is doing clear bras pm him I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try mineral spirits or "mild" 3M adhesive remover

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the 3M adhesive stuff many times and it still is very hard to get the adhesive off. They should name it "3M Adhesive Sort-Of Remover." I have no suggestions, although some have said use brake cleaner, although the can I have says not to get on paint. I'll have to give that Paint Prep a try.

Reaction score
There is a buffing wheel that is used by the body shops for this made by Rubber seal and 3M. It works like a big eraser and will not chemically hurt the paint.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the 3M adhesive stuff many times and it still is very hard to get the adhesive off. They should name it "3M Adhesive Sort-Of Remover." I have no suggestions, although some have said use brake cleaner, although the can I have says not to get on paint. I'll have to give that Paint Prep a try.

I was told by an "installer". He prefers to use Avery. Becuase 3M is hard to remove. Said hes seen 3M "pull" the paint right off.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right he is. It pulled the clear off one of my Harleys. Could be Harley specific, since it hasn't pulled it off my cars yet.

He claimed "ferrari" has the WORST paint. If you put 3m on a Farrari, DONT plan on taking it off. EVER..

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a heat gun and heat the material up first. Its allot easier and if you have a factory paint, it should not hurt the paint. Do like 1 foot sections at a time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235