Removing "track rubber" from paint...HELP!!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent the weekend at NARRA / Viper Days at VIR and my car is covered with rubber streaks both from my tires throwing stuff and from getting hit by the marbles from the cars in front of me.

What's the best way to safely, effectively remove this from my paint?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WD-40 will help to take off the rubber. But be careful getting it off. Harsh solvents will eat your clearcoat.

We pre-lube our wheelie bars (bare titanium and cro-moly) with WD-40 and the rubber comes right off. We also wipe the paint down with Adam's detail spray before every pass. I use a 4oz bottle that fits in my pocket. This puts a film on the car and this helps the rubber releases easier from the rear quarters.

Next time you go to the track, throw a quick wax on the car before you go out, including the wheels to prevent rubber and grime from sticking. It's easier to prevent it than correct it.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the "Purple" colored clay bar. This bar has slight abrasives. It's not like the over the counter types you get at autoparts stores.
You can get it at professional autobody supply outlets.

I then use a mildly abrasive polish or rubbing compound.

Works Great!....:2tu:

You might want to think about a clear bra too.

Let me know if you have trouble finding the purple clay bar.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching this thread. I need to remove the wheel rocks also.

I think all but the very small ones are gone from my tires after the drive home, but yeah, that's something I need to do as well. I don't know about you, but I couldn't believe how soft the tires actually were after our sessions...they were like putty.

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fwiw, it sounds easier to remove the rubber from the paint then it does from the clearbra/vinyl striping... I had a couple pieces of my clearbra redone and the guy couldn't get off the black streaks from them.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard that 3M makes a spray on clear bra material that after the track you can just peel it off ... don't know the details of what product it was or how well it actually works though

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fwiw, it sounds easier to remove the rubber from the paint then it does from the clearbra/vinyl striping... I had a couple pieces of my clearbra redone and the guy couldn't get off the black streaks from them.

It IS as easy as it sounds if you use the right equipment. Unless the mark goes through the paint, it CAN be removed. It is basically a "smudge" of rubber on the surface of the paint. Using the right texture and sequence of abrasive polishes will remove surface smudges.

Regarding the clear bra. I don't know what to say. I removed the marks from my car...:dunno:

I have participated in four track days this year so far. It takes some time and effort, but I have been able to remove all the marks so far... :dunno:

Good Luck KCOBEAN. Unfortunately, I'll bet those black marks show up on your yellow car...:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It IS as easy as it sounds if you use the equipment. Unless the mark goes through the paint, it CAN be removed. It is basically a "smudge" of rubber on the surface of the paint. Using the right texture and sequence of abrasive polishes will remove surface smudges.

Regarding the clear bra. I don't know what to say. I removed the marks from my car...:dunno:

I have participated in four track days this year so far. It takes some time and effort, but I have been able to remove all the marks so far... :dunno:

Good Luck KCOBEAN. Unfortunately, I'll bet those black marks show up on your yellow car...:(

Thanks....and yes, they really do show up quite vividly against the yellow paint. I tried the WD40 on a few spots in an inconspicuous place last night and it worked well, so this weekend I'll thoroughly wash the car, hit it with the WD40 (will also try Meguiars cleaner wax, as I do have some of that) then re-wash the car with Dawn, then re-wax it. Hope it's not 100+ degrees this weekend!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a burn out after I pulled her off the trailer and removed some of the rocks but there are still a ton of rocks stuck.

I think all but the very small ones are gone from my tires after the drive home, but yeah, that's something I need to do as well. I don't know about you, but I couldn't believe how soft the tires actually were after our sessions...they were like putty.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly, I don't know who is worse off...your Yellow or my White when it comes to tire marks.

After track days, I find that it is easier to pull the side sill completely off. Then I can stand up and clean them on my bench. My side sills have clear bra on them, so technically you are not supposed to use anything with petroleum products on it. I use the Plexis spray and Meguiars Scratch-X together and that takes the stuff right off.

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just use a microfiber cloth and quick detailer to remove the rubber marks. They are actually easier to remove than the bugs.

Did anyone else have a problem with all of the rocks on the track? "Someones" 2009 yellow ACR with sticky tires sent a rock straight into the windshield in front of my face! It happened while braking for turn 1 and I was so horrified that I pretty much forgot to brake or turn. I spent the next 10 turns looking at the crack and NOT looking at the road. I finally accepted the fact that it was real and decided I better pay attention to what I was doing or I would end up with more cracks than that. LOL.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just use a microfiber cloth and quick detailer to remove the rubber marks. They are actually easier to remove than the bugs.

Did anyone else have a problem with all of the rocks on the track? "Someones" 2009 yellow ACR with sticky tires sent a rock straight into the windshield in front of my face! It happened while braking for turn 1 and I was so horrified that I pretty much forgot to brake or turn. I spent the next 10 turns looking at the crack and NOT looking at the road. I finally accepted the fact that it was real and decided I better pay attention to what I was doing or I would end up with more cracks than that. LOL.

Ahh I remember someone introducing theirselves to me and trying to tell me their screen name. Believe that was you.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried Meguiars QD spray and it didn't seem to budge the rubber marks. :dunno:

Yes, I was amazed at how many rocks were on the track, particularly on Sunday. I'm not sure I fully understand the logic of making the paddock area sand/gravel. Sorry to hear about your windshield. When you find the guy in that yellow ACR, you should kick his butt!!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried Meguiars QD spray and it didn't seem to budge the rubber marks. :dunno:

Yes, I was amazed at how many rocks were on the track, particularly on Sunday. I'm not sure I fully understand the logic of making the paddock area sand/gravel. Sorry to hear about your windshield. When you find the guy in that yellow ACR, you should kick his butt!!!

Meguairs QD and Meguiars Body Wash did nothing for me. I used to use 3M Adhesive Remover which worked ridiculously well but I feared for the paint so I stopped using it. WD-40 works well for me. However, as others have pointed out it's the preventive work that helps the most. i.e. a good wax base coat and the rubber comes off much easier.

One thing I found that does help, is Griot's Bug Off. I spray this on my fascia, side sills before I get on the track. But it's a PITA to get off.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get any kind of adhesive off the car, there is a product made especially for that. It is called Goo Gone.

You must be registered for see images

It is perfectly safe for the paint no matter how long you leave it on. Just a little elbow grease and your paint is good as new. In order to keep bug guts and everything else from adhering to the paint, I use Machine Superwax. It makes removing stuff from the paint real easy. Especially bug guts.

Before:

After:

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get any kind of adhesive off the car, there is a product made especially for that. It is called Goo Gone.

It is perfectly safe for the paint no matter how long you leave it on. Just a little elbow grease and your paint is good as new. In order to keep bug guts and everything else from adhering to the paint, I use Machine Superwax. It makes removing stuff from the paint real easy. Especially bug guts.

Before:

After:

ah, excellent. I will take a picture of a couple different places on the car tonight. There is rubber EVERYWHERE! :crazy2:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Believe it or not, one burnout contest some loser Biker with a 9sec Hemi car did a smokey burnout while parked in front of my car. I ran over and told him to _____ off and pointed out that he was doing a smokey burnout while 10' from my Duster. He stopped and aplogized.

I ran the water hose until the water was cold, sprayed the rubber stuck all over my car with the COLD water and the rubber fell off the car when I ran my hand over it!!! The rubber fell off the car! Don't use anything until you've used cold water to 'set' the rubber so it doesn't stick anymore. Then a simple wipe removed it from my car. I imagine different types of rubber may not work this well but ... When I tried a cleaner it smeared the rubber and took a long time to get off my car.

Ted

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, one burnout contest some loser Biker with a 9sec Hemi car did a smokey burnout while parked in front of my car. I ran over and told him to _____ off and pointed out that he was doing a smokey burnout while 10' from my Duster. He stopped and aplogized.

I ran the water hose until the water was cold, sprayed the rubber stuck all over my car with the COLD water and the rubber fell off the car when I ran my hand over it!!! The rubber fell off the car! Don't use anything until you've used cold water to 'set' the rubber so it doesn't stick anymore. Then a simple wipe removed it from my car. I imagine different types of rubber may not work this well but ... When I tried a cleaner it smeared the rubber and took a long time to get off my car.

Ted

That worked because you immediately addressed it. Very similar to bug guts. However, if the stuff has hd time to bake on and cool off, you won't have that luck.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, you were at a show, so I assume you had a good coat of wax on the car, which probably helped.

We hit the paint and windows on our car with detail spray before every pass. Def. worth the 5 min. If you know you're going to the track, paint protection should be part of the prep work.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, you were at a show, so I assume you had a good coat of wax on the car, which probably helped.

We hit the paint and windows on our car with detail spray before every pass. Def. worth the 5 min. If you know you're going to the track, paint protection should be part of the prep work.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually the burnout contests were at night and it was the next morning before I had acess to a water hose.

Yes, I did have wax on my car.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the paint I use Tarminator then a detailing spray wax when the rubber has been removed. I got the Tarminator (from the company with the green body can with Yellow tops) from ORiley's as for the clear bra I ordered a acrylic polish. Just put the product on a damp microfiber cloth and it comes of easily. My wife uses a plastic polish on her car on the clearbra and it worked well also.

What you tape you don't have to clean.

Richard

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got around to cleaning mine. Bug and tar remover worked pretty good but for the stubborn spots turtle wax polish paste worked great by hand. No luck with Goo gone. Still have a few areas where there are slight dark spots but it will need a full detail to correct those.

The inside of my front drivers wheel was a pain. A piece of rubber was stuck between the caliber and the wheel creating a mess to clean up. Had to use my buddies buffer with stronger abrasive to remove that crap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave