Removing "track rubber" from paint...HELP!!

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got around to cleaning mine. Bug and tar remover worked pretty good but for the stubborn spots turtle wax polish paste worked great by hand. No luck with Goo gone. Still have a few areas where there are slight dark spots but it will need a full detail to correct those.

The inside of my front drivers wheel was a pain. A piece of rubber was stuck between the caliber and the wheel creating a mess to clean up. Had to use my buddies buffer with stronger abrasive to remove that crap.

I had a similar issue with a piece of rubber between the caliper and wheel. It actually marred the finish on the wheel. :mad:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got it on the road and put some miles on it since the race and it does not seem to be helping me to kick out the rocks and tire chunks that are melted to the tires. If anything it is hindering the car severly. My traction is way off what it should be and is definitely showing signs of issues. I took an on ramp at 40mph yesterday, no gas, and the rear end slide out a little from me, roughly 3 feet of sliding out. Not happy about that.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all these issues specific to VIR? I've run at Summit Point, and Watkins Glen with my old '96 RT/10 (white wheels), and don't remember having any problems of the magnitude I'm reading here.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tire-**** marks come off almost instantly with HONDA SPRAY CLEANER-WAX in the pink and black can. Miracle stuff. Cheep too. Many, many touch-up uses.

Marbles are a function of volume of cars, how often the track is swept, and DO YOU DRIVE THE CLEAN RACING LINE ? !!! There are pace-car weekends when I have to take breaks to clean the marbles! (Pace Cars dont get to use the race line...we ride track center, ever notice that? We get a SPITLOAD of marbles.)

Marbles slough-off the tire as it corners, and can GREATLY minimize your ability to corner safely.

The BEST way to clean them off is on a concrete (not asphalt) skid-pad (deserted parking lot?) You have to drive in fast, medium-tight circles, as fast as you can, til the car begins to slip. Then drive 4-5 more circles to warm the marbles even further. Keep circling. Try to corner in such a way as to force the front to plow-push-understeer. By circle # 10 or so, they come FLYING off like shrapnel-cigars.....rattling in the wheel wells...Keep your windows closed or you can actually collect them inside while tight cornering!

Spinning-out does NOT clean marbles as well as weighted, hard cornering, on the VERGE of loss of traction. "Threshold Spinouts"

Then, dont slow down, do more circles the OTHER direction, half as many, since the tires will be warmed. NOTE: I am usually DIZZY afterwards, as are my passengers. This scuffs off 80% of em..... and if you have a flat-bladed putty knife you can then easily "peel" off the fronts while still hot.

A lot of the rear marbles will have come off, but can also be "burnout cleaned" off, again rougher concrete works better than smoothe asphalt.

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to find a lot to do this in. Haven't found one yet. Good information though. I was driving a couple days ago on the highway and pulled into my Uncle's driveway. I left and came back the next day there were 2 nice looking skid marks in his drive way from the front tires. Apparently that old rubber has started coming off and just normal rolling is removing it. But your way sounds better Jon :)

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of rims, SSRs and man they have track rubber caked in the toughest spots to get to. I know how to get rid of the rubber, takes a lot of time, but what is the best method to get rid of the caked up brake dust on the inside of the wheel?

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of rims, SSRs and man they have track rubber caked in the toughest spots to get to. I know how to get rid of the rubber, takes a lot of time, but what is the best method to get rid of the caked up brake dust on the inside of the wheel?

So far, this Adam's product has handled everything I've thrown at it, with ease :) I bet it would clean-up your wheels too :2tu:

Adam's All-Purpose Cleaner

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got it on the road and put some miles on it since the race and it does not seem to be helping me to kick out the rocks and tire chunks that are melted to the tires. If anything it is hindering the car severly. My traction is way off what it should be and is definitely showing signs of issues. I took an on ramp at 40mph yesterday, no gas, and the rear end slide out a little from me, roughly 3 feet of sliding out. Not happy about that.

The "no gas" also lightened the back of your Viper.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best thing I have ever found to get the black rubber off the car is plain ole paste KIT WAX. No hard work at all, so I always keep a can around for the hard stuff. :headbang:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to find a lot to do this in. Haven't found one yet. Good information though. I was driving a couple days ago on the highway and pulled into my Uncle's driveway. I left and came back the next day there were 2 nice looking skid marks in his drive way from the front tires. Apparently that old rubber has started coming off and just normal rolling is removing it. But your way sounds better Jon :)

Jon's way does sound fun!

We usually have a lot of stones built up on the tires on the racecar after a run. When we get back to the pits and have the car on the Pro-Jacks, I put on a pair of the Mechanics Gloves and go side-to-side around the tire. Knocks most of the stuff off. Next time you're at the track, try to knock the stuff off as soon as you get back in the pits and the tires are still hot.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AND, once you've cleaned the wheels up, hit them with a coat of good wax. I use Adam's Machine Super Wax, followed by Adam's Brilliant Glaze. That way, next time at the track, the rubber won't stick as easily.