Road America 2:28.0

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran 9 sessions over the weekend. Only got 2 "clean" laps over the entire weekend.

For the first 8 sessions my only mistake was coming into 8 too hot and missing the apex by about 4 feet. DOH.

My 9'th session I couldn't make the 5-4-3 shift at the end of the main straight to save my life, and also butchered turn 3 as well. After making about 5 mistakes in that session I took the car to the pits and loaded it up on the trailer.

Tracking the car over the summer at Autobahn has increased my comfort level and awareness of the car. I'm now flat after the kink to red line just before 12. I also deepend my break points in 1 and 5, and am carrying more speed through the carousel and kink. I'll get the figures later.

Here are a couple vids:

Day 1 Session 1, car spun 2 cars in front of me. Description in the vid.
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15963161[/media]
I'm running 295 tires up front with 345's in the rear. This incident reassured me to stick with the pushy setup instead of going with a wider front. The only time I ever had to battle the rear was 6 and 13. That's all the fun I want to have with that. :)

Day 2 Session 1, 2:28.0. Got held up on the exit out of 3, as well as after 14. If only I could string 2 good laps together... but all in all I was very comfortable running the high 2:2x's, and now running low 2:3x's seems like cake.
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/15963501[/media]

I still can go a bit more deeper into 1, as well as carry more speed. I also think I can go around the carousel a bit faster and quite a bit faster though the kink. I could also short shift 5'th from 4-5 and 11-12. I'm quite happy with the way the car is right now though so I don't feel the need to push it on those faster segments of the track.

There where 2 problems with the car. My wheel weights, even taped up with reflective heat tape, were moving and coming off. :( The car is at Blackdog racing now getting that taken care of. The second was the front splitter, again. The down force is just too much for it. The passenger side pulled down about half an inch. I had to readjust one of the brackets inside to hold it up. Other than that the car was solid.

There were also 6-8 vipers out, which was nice to see. An orange ACR-x was also out. I timed him a few times at 2:25, he was pretty quick!

I'll be at Road America again this weekend. Everyone should come out!

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have attached my last lap from the 2010 SCCA Run Offs. This is the fastest STO lap at RA in a car very similar to yours. My 2006 Viper has the ACR-style aero package but doesn't make as much RWHP as an ACR. I do have a 3.55 rear gear, though.

You may learn something from it. (I write "may" as I have not viewed your laps at this time).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwNnjL-E2o[/media]

Understand that I don't think i know everything, so please don't take offense in me posting this lap as a comparison. It is done more to help, especially with you going back to RA this coming weekend.

I will watch your videos tonight when I am at home (shouldn't do so at work!) and will offer suggestions, if you want.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
David, absolutely I'd like feedback.

My 06 has a stock engine, + intake/tb/bellangers/tune/3.08 gear.

I notice with your 3.55 gear you seem to just be up a gear in most places than I. However, it does work well for each of the straights for you, as you see I'm at the top of 4'th at the end of the middle and back straight.

I also see that you turn in sooner than I, but also track out wider using more of the track as well. Since I'm not competing I like to keep that extra track there just in case. :)

I run Hoosier R6's, 345/295. The car is pushy but I like it that way.

The moton club sports were set in the middle setting all around, with 700/1000 spring rates. I probably need more spring. If I pushed it a little harder coming out of the carousel, that little dip/bump at the exit would cause the left rear tire to hit the inner guard.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magnus, nice lap! Practically living my dream right there, I love Road America, my favorite road course! I can't imagine tackling that track in a ACR. Any clue how fast your going through the right kink after the carousel?

--RS

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
David, absolutely I'd like feedback.

My 06 has a stock engine, + intake/tb/bellangers/tune/3.08 gear.

I notice with your 3.55 gear you seem to just be up a gear in most places than I. However, it does work well for each of the straights for you, as you see I'm at the top of 4'th at the end of the middle and back straight.

I also see that you turn in sooner than I, but also track out wider using more of the track as well. Since I'm not competing I like to keep that extra track there just in case. :)

I run Hoosier R6's, 345/295. The car is pushy but I like it that way.

The moton club sports were set in the middle setting all around, with 700/1000 spring rates. I probably need more spring. If I pushed it a little harder coming out of the carousel, that little dip/bump at the exit would cause the left rear tire to hit the inner guard.

Oh geez, I am sorry. From your picture I thought you had an ACR/Gen 4 car. My error. Our RWHP numbers are pretty equal then. If you are using R'ss as opposed to A's, that's a big difference. I use 315s in the front and 345s, but I have the option of changing rear axle ratios. At most tracks, when using the 3.07 rear, I liked the 335s in the back because that tire was about 4% shorter than the 345, whcih gave me a bit better acceleration. But RA is a 345 track!

Your spring rates seem pretty close. I have an 800/1100 bias. I used the 1300s at RA, but disconnected the rear sway bar. We jsut replaced the 1100s and reconnected the rear bar this week for Road Atlanta. Try the 315s next time you buy tires. The car will be more balanced.

My lines were not that good until the end of the race. I did not test prior to the race, and had not been behind the wheel of a race car for over a month, so I was real rusty. In fact, I did not show up until Day Two of qualifying for our group. I did this because I had to drop my daughter off at college. Doing so set me back.

So yes, I was turning in a bit too early.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RS, here are the speeds I took most turns at:

Into 1: 160
Turn 1: 85 (Could have carried a bit more speed)

Into 3: 120
Turn 3: 70

Into 5: 154
Turn 5: 50

Into 6: 93
Turn 6: 65

Into 7: 85
Turn 7: 80 (Could have probably carried more)

Into 8: 115
Turn 8: 50

Carousel: 90 (Maybe could have carried more)

Into Kink: 118
Kink: 105 (Definitely could carry more)

Into 12: 150 (Could have shifted and carried more)
Turn 12: 60

Turn 13: 65

Turn 14: 55 (Could have carried a bit more)

Turn 1 is a very very fast off-camber turn. Coming down the main straight at 160mph up to that turn is very nerve-racking. I would pre-brake twice to slow the car down up to my main brake point, then slow down the car in excess and accelerate into and through the turn.

Turn 6 is a ton of fun. Brake right before the crest of the hill, then feel the car kinda float as you turn in.

The carousel is a really painful turn. I pull 1.3-1.4 G's that whole turn, and then exit on the gas. It really takes guts to take the exit at speed.

The kink I take at around 1G.

Turn 13 is also a ton of fun. You have the extra traction of going up hill as you go into and apex the turn, but then crest as you track out. If it wasn't for the exit the apex could be taken a bit quicker.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have my data with me right now, but I do remember so points of interest. Keep in mind the Hoosier A versus Hoosier R makes a huge difference. Motivation is big as well. My motivation is to win the race; if I ball the car up, so be it. Your motivation is to go home with the car in one piece.

Carousel max Gs: 1.95
Kink min speed 117-119

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
holy cow 1.95 G through there must have been painful!

The seat I have is a cobra suzuka pro. It has good leg support and I was harnessed in pretty tight and I still had zero desire to pull any more G's through there, haha.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4