RT/10 Top A Pain, Now Add To That The Back Window

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, now I'm beginning to think this RT/10 is just a cover for a high school regents exam!:eater:

How DO you lock the rear window in place. I put the key in and turned it easy enough, but cannot turn it once the piece hits the slot. I thought a sledge hammer and chisel might help,:bonker: but then thought better of it!!! I already tried, moving the window to the left and right, trying to find that "sweet spot." But, to no avail...not happening, no way, nada, nien, niet and so on.:brick:

So, how does the window lock without me breaking something while trying???? Or, do I drive with the side windows closed all the time, for fear of the back window flying out and hitting a car in back of me:crazy2:

Help!!!!:omg:

All I wanna do is driveeeeeeeeeee :drive::drive::drive::drive:

Peter

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try going up and down or forward and back. The gasket must be getting old. Don't drive with it if its not locked.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lock is simple enough....the key turns a cylinder "arm" that fits into a "notch". If the key is not turning, put some pressure on the window to move it either forward or back to line up the notch with the arm. When it's lined up, it will easily slide right in. Don't force it.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone...yes, tried to move up, down, back and forth, now side to side....hey, sounds like some kinda dance.:rolaugh:

But seriously, I did try moving it in all directions to line up the arm with the slot. I got it to go part way into the slot but no more. Clearly, I don't want to force it, so not sure what to do....here again, think I'm going to "ask Chuck" when I bring in the car. I may play a little more, but if I can't get it to work, then I'll just wait.:dunno:

Actually, I just wanna drive :drive::drive::drive::drive:

Thanks all.

Peter

1998 RT/10, Red (5k Miles)

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is garage kept, leave it off. I took mine off in the spring and won't put it on again until fall. Just go drive......

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, garaged, but I still have the issue of not being able to get the rear latches on the soft top open!!!:brick:

After my service at Tator's (24th), I'll just leave everything off...but still do need to make sure the window goes in an locks.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Peter

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a mini How To in soft top removal for a GenII:

This is the latch mechanism (two of them) that holds down the rear of the soft top. Notice the clothespin-type mechanism. This latch slides over a pin located in the sports-bar:
Latch.jpg

The sports-bar is the black piece that runs behind your head when you're seated in the Viper. It has two slots on either side to accommodate the soft-top latches. The latches slide into these slots:
Sport_Pad.jpg

From inside your Viper, you can see the latch inserted through the sportspad, it looks something like this:
Inside_View.jpg

When the latch is engaged, it's latched onto a steel pin found inside this slot in your sport pad:
Latched.jpg

To disengage the latch from the pin, use a finger to pull the latch lever toward you:
Finger.jpg

If pulling that lever is difficult, then the top is on too tight. Push down on the top (over the latch area) while pulling the lever and it disengage:
Push.jpg

Don't forget to do the same on the other side.

Don't forget the front. Just pull the lever until is says "Unlatched":
Front3.jpg

My top was on too tight originally and I had a difficult time unlatching the rear. In the first pic showing the latch, you'll see two screws. You can looses these screws and adjust the height of the latch to make the fit looser or tighter. I loosened it about 1/4" and it fits like a glove now.

Hope this helps.
- Tony

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi tony:

Thanks for the detail and the pics. I will have to look again to see if I can figure it out. When I looked at the rear latch, it was inside part of the frame of the top...not sure how to explain that. So, it was very difficult to get my hands in to see what and how I was supposed to open.

I wasn't sure how you shot the photo showing the latch engaged on the pin. I looked under the sports bar and did not see any opening. If I am supposed to open the latch from around the pin (which is under under the slot, don't know what I move or squeeze to do that.

Hard to describe, how you understand. I'm sure it is easy once you know, but as I've said before, this car is not exactly user friendly.:crazy2:

Thanks again, will check when I get home.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony: GREAT write-up and illustrations!!! (Tho confusing to me, as I haven't seen the full inside of an RT) You are GREAT to try to help Peter out!~~~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi tony:

Thanks for the detail and the pics. I will have to look again to see if I can figure it out. When I looked at the rear latch, it was inside part of the frame of the top...not sure how to explain that. So, it was very difficult to get my hands in to see what and how I was supposed to open.

From the driver's side, stick your head in the car and look at the back window. Actually, look up where the rear of the top meets to the top of the car. You should see a slot where the latch hooks into. Stick your finger in there and feel for the latch.

I wasn't sure how you shot the photo showing the latch engaged on the pin. I looked under the sports bar and did not see any opening. If I am supposed to open the latch from around the pin (which is under under the slot, don't know what I move or squeeze to do that.

The 'inside' pics were taken from inside the car looking upward where the top meets with top of the car or sportspad. This is the area behind you, inside the cockpit, where the rear brake light is located above the rear window. Do as pic illustrates...take your finger and try to move the latch so it disengages. If it's not cooperating, push down on the top at the same time you try to slide the latch.

Hard to describe, how you understand. I'm sure it is easy once you know, but as I've said before, this car is not exactly user friendly.:crazy2:

The car itself is user friendly, one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on. The problem is the soft top. It's an afterthought and could've been designed better but it is what it is. You're going through a learning curve. Once you've got it off/on a couple of times you'll get the hang of it. The fun part is unfolding the top...but we'll save that for later. :D

Thanks again, will check when I get home.

Peter

See my comments above. - Tony

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony: GREAT write-up and illustrations!!! (Tho confusing to me, as I haven't seen the full inside of an RT) You are GREAT to try to help Peter out!~~~juli

By far the soft top on the GenIII is awesome. Dimitrios enjoys showing me how easy it is to open and close his soft top on the GenIII. I'm sure I'll get another demonstration from him on Sunday as it will be a joy working the soft top if it rains.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave