sad news...viper plant shuttered until end June.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how times change for decades the Porsche 911 was the nimble sports car that could destroy the clunky American Sports cars at the track - American Cars where only good for "going fast in a straight line". Not sports cars but crude Muscle Cars.

But for the past 15 years or so that has totally flipped. The Hi-Po Corvettes and the Vipers will bend over a 911TT on every road course on earth from Laguna Seca to Porsches home turf the Nurburgring. Even the new Z28 is a monster track car!

The 911TT is now resigned to only dominate on drag strips - you know "Only good for going fast in a straight line" a German Muscle car. LOL.

Good times indeed for American Sports cars.

Yes,I have driven the Gen.5s,it is improved over the Gen.4.Again,I like Vipers ,but the main issues I have ,is the locked computer and I would like a option of a DCT...As for the 991 TS,again the reason I bumped up is it is much better in everyway what the 997 TS.I am actually pleased that it runs the same times as a 997 TS stock(10.70/80s).I mean how much faster can a new car go with a warranty??Yes, correct,the TS is no track dog like a TA Viper,but for a all around performance car ,it holds pretty well...

Remember, my intentions is for the Viper is for it to improve and survive and for SRT to give us customers and potential customers what we want, NOT to bash the Viper...

I see the issues with SRT management as the problem, not the car it self. If they do not correct this situation, their will be not more new Vipers in a couple years. That is real..

Vipers companion on a race track is not a Porsche 911 Turbo S,it will be that new C7 Z07 coming out..

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are you George .I too heard the exact same thing from what i understand the motor (direct injection ) with a pulley and tune easily hits the 750 plus mark and passes Chevys driveability and durability tests at that power level .As you said few will care about the Z06 shortcomings if the car can be had in the 80k range

Heck, my wifes supercharged 5.0 Range Rover can touch 600 crank h.p. with a pulley, tune and cat back exhaust.....and that's from 5 liters, lol.

You have a pm.

Cheers,
George

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I have run 5 back to back quarter mile runs using Launch Control at 5500 RPMs/all 10 second/11 Flat @128/129 runs..No issues at all with the car,temp at 175 .As for the track duty,don,t know,but I do run it hard to red line a lot ,no issues..The car loves to run hard.. Road and Track just 50 plus Launches w/a new 991 TS in a row ,No Issues... It is on You Tube... Car is not boring, it is so violently fast, it really scars you every time.If you take a guest, they will freak out...

That is the difference between a GTR and a TS,GTR will not launch any more after a couple launches and will break easily also...

Also, the Porsche dealer I deal with is excellent, they tell me that is what it is made for,if it breaks,bring it back and we will fix it...

Agreed,the C7 Z07 is a mid 10 second car all day long at the drag strip,just as the Viper would be with a DCT and good LC System...It will also be a animal at the track. SRT will really have to step up with a Gen.5 ACR to be any were close...

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how times change for decades the Porsche 911 was the nimble sports car that could destroy the clunky American Sports cars at the track - American Cars where only good for "going fast in a straight line". Not sports cars but crude Muscle Cars.

But for the past 15 years or so that has totally flipped. The Hi-Po Corvettes and the Vipers will bend over a 911TT on every road course on earth from Laguna Seca to Porsches home turf the Nurburgring. Even the new Z28 is a monster track car!

The 911TT is now resigned to only dominate on drag strips - you know "Only good for going fast in a straight line" a German Muscle car. LOL.

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/...empest-destroyed-the-worlds-best-sports-cars/

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can thank overweight and luxury demanding Americans for Porsche getting bigger, heavier and more of a "muscle car" than the nimble, lightweight sports cars of the past.....funny how that worked out. Still, Porsche does an incredible engineering feat to keep the cars very fast, but at a very hefty price tag. Porsche guys will always buy Porsches, Ferrari guys will buy F-cars, and so on. Loyalty and belonging to a certain "group" will always be there and is to be commended. Look at how many Viper owners own multiple snakes.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great part about the 991TTs launch control is you can go to a local middle school, find a kid who can reach the pedals and his first run he can run a 10.6 just like everyone else with a TTs!

how exciting!

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great part about the 991TTs launch control is you can go to a local middle school, find a kid who can reach the pedals and his first run he can run a 10.6 just like everyone else with a TTs!

how exciting!

LOL, well put. Different strokes I guess.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The great part about the 991TT's launch control is you can go to a local middle school, find a kid who can reach the pedals, and his first run he can run a 10.6. Then you will be arrested and be a registered sex offender like everyone else with a Porsche".

Fixed it.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The great part about the 991TT's launch control is you can go to a local middle school, find a kid who can reach the pedals, and his first run he can run a 10.6. Then you will be arrested and be a registered sex offender like everyone else with a Porsche".

Fixed it.

That is funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper