SCCA Mid Ohio National STO Report

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The maiden voyage of my new 2006 STO Viper is this weekend at the SCCA Ohio Valley Region's Mid Ohio "Race of Champions."

I have the pole in STO over a Camaro and a Corvette, but the qualifying sessions were in the wet so we have no idea what each driver has for the others. Today's race will be held under perfect racing conditions so it should be lots of fun.

I will report back later tonight with details of the event.

But let me assure you that SCCA's STO class is a great one if you want to race your Viper. At Sebring in January I ran against Vettes, Porsches and Ferraris. This is such a cool class!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep us posted and give some further detail on the class your running with them? Good luck man and do the Viper Proud!:2tu:

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back home from the track...day went as I planned, hoped and expected. Pole, fast lap and track record and win. Not bad for the maiden voyage.

The track was slower this weekend than the last time I raced at Mid Ohio. Last year had perfect conditions and I was able to set the T1 track record in my 2004 SRT10 Viper. This year the best T1 car was off my pace by over 1 second, and it WAS the conditions not the driver. Tom Sloe, the 2009 American Sedan National Champion, is driving a very trick C5 Corvette in T1 and was off my record, so it was the weather.

I was able to lower the STO record by over 1.3 seconds despite the higher temps. If we had 2009's weather I think I would have gone 1.5 seconds faster.

That being said, I am very proud to hold BOTH the T1 and STO track records at Mid Ohio, both done in Dodge Vipers!

More info coming later...

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done! Rumor had it you were building a beast...guess it came together well. Times? (course?) Car specs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well done! Rumor had it you were building a beast...guess it came together well. Times? (course?) Car specs?

It will be a great car when it is all finished. Right now it is a T1 car with 300 lbs less weight and 90 more rear wheel HP. So my results reflect that.

I have much more to do to fully develop the car. I have to mention that I have had some great guidance and support from vendors that support this site. I plan on sharing my experiences with everyone when the time allows.

I have video and data, but the video is boring as heck as there was no one around me for the entire race, and the data is, ah, how do I say? "proprietary." :lmao:

Stan Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,

Sounds great! My work continues, and I hope to have the machine ready to hit the track before the end of the summer.
:drive:

Hope to see you soon. :2tu:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats man!! Thats so exciting! Yea get some pics up on this car. And how the heck did you get 300lbs off the car with added safety equiptment? Do tell :2tu:

Way to go man!!!:headbang::headbang:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I guess we have different philosophies. I don't worry about 'proprietary', if you can watch my videos, copy my car setup and beat my times, more power to you! ;) One of our Viper CC guys was studying my vid of Mid-O and said he used it to his advantage recently, and I am all about that, esp if he is beating Vettes! LOL I was just curious if the SCCA record is below 1:32.5 (NASA GL record)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats man!! Thats so exciting! Yea get some pics up on this car. And how the heck did you get 300lbs off the car with added safety equiptment? Do tell :2tu:

Way to go man!!!:headbang::headbang:

The T1 Viper had to weight 3600 lbs with me in it. In STO the minimum is 3300 (again with me in it), but we are about 50-60 lbs heavy.

I have a Lexan windshield that will be installed after this weekend, plus a CF Gen 4 hood that I am patiently waiting for, and supposedly a Lexan rear window. A Tilton clutch and flywheel will help the weight as well.

Lastly, I have shed 18 lbs off my fat self since January's Sebring races, so that helps.

Boxer, I am more than willing to share video. I have done quite a bit in the past, I just need to figure out how to work with this file.

The 1:34.3 that I ran this past weekend was on the Club Course, which includes the Kind before the Keyhole. I don't know what your 1:32 was on. I have run 1:32's on the Pro Course in my old T1 Viper.

Thanks Mark, you guys have been great in getting the right parts out to us.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow in the low 32's at Mid OH, that's a great time! I felt lucky to get 1:42 as my best hahaa!

I would love to see a pic of your Viper too, congrats on your great run!

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow in the low 32's at Mid OH, that's a great time! I felt lucky to get 1:42 as my best hahaa!

I would love to see a pic of your Viper too, congrats on your great run!

Let's put things in perspective: in 2005 Scotty White had a T1 Viper doing 32's flat in qualifying for the Run Offs. That car weighted 3560 lbs and breathed threw a 56mm restrictor plate.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the win and great looking car, look forward to seeing the video. I enjoyed seeing your Sebring video.

-David

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great! Thats some great times!! I can only dream of getting that fast right now! Years of track time ahead of me to achieve that im sure!

Way to go on your personal weight loss! That will make you faster on and OFF the track :D

Thanks for the photo's!:2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey David if you are ever at mid oh or putnam park let us know! We will round up some vipers and cheer you on in the pits! Would be fun to watch you run and take some pics.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey David if you are ever at mid oh or putnam park let us know! We will round up some vipers and cheer you on in the pits! Would be fun to watch you run and take some pics.

I will be at Nelson Ledges this weekend, as well as the July 4th weekend.

July 10-11 I am heading to Watkins Glen for the big SCCA ouble National. Maybe Beaverun in August to race or Road America to test.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am glad to see you kept the silver stripes !

I am glad to see it all came together.

This must be Sam. Dude, your car is beautiful. You kept real good care of it. It is almost a shame to race it now, but race it I will.

Silver stripes on red? Race wins will be marked with a Buckeye leaf on the roof...:2tu:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, its me... I'm still patiently looking for the next Viper. With summer here it is getting harder and harder to be patient.

Good plan, great buckeye colors!

By the way, you should PM one of the moderators and have them put you in as an owner instead of an enthusiast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235