SCT Tuner?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here used the SCT handheld device in conjunction with the software to tune their Viper?

Any feedback on the SCT system?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from Sean Roe. It has three programs depending on fuel octane. I had been running the program for the low octane and the engine always felt like it was laboring. Like the timing was ********. Probably so. Last week I entered the high octane program and holy S*&$ does it fly now! Before it took a long time to hit 5K RPM, now I must watch the tach as it JUMPS to 5K RPM. Made a huge difference in the HP. I'll dyno again to see how much. With the low octane program it was 501 to the wheels. KAI, how did you get 600 plus with an NA engine? WOW

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from Sean Roe. It has three programs depending on fuel octane. I had been running the program for the low octane and the engine always felt like it was laboring. Like the timing was ********. Probably so. Last week I entered the high octane program and holy S*&$ does it fly now! Before it took a long time to hit 5K RPM, now I must watch the tach as it JUMPS to 5K RPM. Made a huge difference in the HP. I'll dyno again to see how much. With the low octane program it was 501 to the wheels. KAI, how did you get 600 plus with an NA engine? WOW

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered the software and hand-held from Daniel at Viper Specialty Performance.

As for my 600 hp build, it was done by Kevin Singleton at Exotic Engine, with help from the folks at DC Performance. It was a pretty comprehensive build. I don't think that there are any stock parts in the engine or drive train. One thing about the engine that is unusual for a n/a high-hp build is that it has the original stroke, so I was able to get that hp without increasing the stroke.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sean roe sent me three and none of them would put a tune in my 1996 gts sean could not figure it out so he just return my money

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like mine, it really does add some kick through out the entire rpm range. I also run the 94 octane tune. Another thing that is good about SCT is as you add more mods Roe can send you an updated program via email and you can download it straight to your tuner from your PC. Also if you have a dyno print out and if the air/fuel mix or anything else is not right they can modify your tune to correct it and email it to ya too. I recommend for sure:2tu:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had mine done. I posted the dyno run. It is under SRT forum, A.R.T dyno/tune. I got 10 hp and 48 torque.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had mine done. I posted the dyno run. It is under SRT forum, A.R.T dyno/tune. I got 10 hp and 48 torque.
So you think the SCT is a good way to go? 10hp what tune was that and what octane? I was thinking of trying just a bit hotter fuel like 93 on my stock motor. I am just running a DC tune and corsa and single blade TB. Let me know.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Roe mid-octane program and noticed a difference as well. However, for you guys running the 94 octane program, is there any issue with running 93 octane pump gas with the high level program?

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the ROE SCT Flash on my 04. I run the middle tune and love the extra midrange feel. It's also very easy to program (less than 3 minutes plugged into the OBD II) and it saves your stock tune if you ever need to go back to the dealer or back to stock.

On the 94 tune I noticed more cabin heat but I was only running 93 oct so I went back to the middle and am very pleased with it.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you think the SCT is a good way to go? 10hp what tune was that and what octane? I was thinking of trying just a bit hotter fuel like 93 on my stock motor. I am just running a DC tune and corsa and single blade TB. Let me know.

Well, I'm not going to say it is better than a DC tune. I have seen some post on here where cars are getting some huge numbers from a DC tune. I gained 10HP on the top end and 48lb on the torque on the 93 octane tune. But the good numbers are in the mid range, where I drive the most, 2500 to 4500. The cars feels much faster after the tune. Here is my dyno sheet with base and the 93 tune. The dyno was a dynojet 248 and was SAE corrected

picture.php

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see some real nice gains between 3500 rpm's to 5000 rpm's. Looks like close to a 40 hp gain at the 4000 rpm mark.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also run an SCT. Tunes courtesy of Roe (delivered same-day via email). I got a 91 oct, a 94 oct, and a Valet. :)
Painless purchasing and painless installation.
No dyno numbers, but I'm VERY happy with SOTP feel and a tiny improvement in MPG.

Choosing between Roe and DC Perf. for your tunes is like trying to choose who's the hotter chick at the ******* Mansion.
It's REALLY tough to go wrong.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I didn't get that much more with the DC tune anlthogh it was better all around. Not complaining here just the facts. I just wonder how the sct tune would perform with the 93 tune over the DC tune. Be nice to try it out to see.

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of the email tunes are going to be 100% optimized for your vehicle. If you really want to have the best tune for you car then it is wise to have a custom tune done on a dyno. My prefrence is load based dyno.
Michael

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got mine from sean roe, really smoothed out the power on the 93 octane :2tu:

btw, just noticed on the box it says the sct tuner can also "read/clear & diagnose dtc trouble codes/ check engine lights", though i have not used it for this yet

(if anyone has used this feature, how much info does it provide?:dunno:)

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the Valet tune? Is that a tune to use while you get valet parking I am guessing. Can someone explain how it makes the car react?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the Valet tune? Is that a tune to use while you get valet parking I am guessing. Can someone explain how it makes the car react?
Heh heh...it's hysterical.
Well, to me it was.

I tried it out in a parking lot last Nov. Wouldn't let me get above about 15-20 mph before it shut things down. 1st gear worked, but 2nd was useless.
The truck bucked and bounced as I tried mashing the pedal. The guys watching me were laughing incredibly hard.
I really should do a video of it so you all can join in the laughter.

Sean would have the complete details on what all it entails regarding the computer and it's controls.
A quick email or phone call will probably get you the info.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it the SCT isn't available for Gen4s yet? Anyone know when/if it's coming out? I did some searches but couldn't find any info on it, and Roe's site didn't have any info yet.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be jinxed my 01 GTS with the SCT from Roe was good for 18 more horsepower with the stock tune,I am going to send it back and have them do whatever it is they do to adjust.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone here used the SCT handheld device in conjunction with the software to tune their Viper?

Any feedback on the SCT system?

Yeah I have and it's still in the fine tunning stages, it's been on the lean side ever since the first fopah with it.

sct-tuner-prog-prob-update

Last edited:

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Heh heh...it's hysterical.
Well, to me it was.

I tried it out in a parking lot last Nov. Wouldn't let me get above about 15-20 mph before it shut things down. 1st gear worked, but 2nd was useless.
The truck bucked and bounced as I tried mashing the pedal. The guys watching me were laughing incredibly hard.
I really should do a video of it so you all can join in the laughter.

Sean would have the complete details on what all it entails regarding the computer and it's controls.
A quick email or phone call will probably get you the info.

Thanks for awnsering my question. That is really unique and a great idea; it would be the way to go for Valet parking. Will it still allow the car to break the wheels lose or does the 15-20 mph thing take in effect. Like, could they still burn up your tires but just not go anywhere? The more I hear about the SCT Tuner I think I am going to put it next on the list.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for awnsering my question. That is really unique and a great idea; it would be the way to go for Valet parking. Will it still allow the car to break the wheels lose or does the 15-20 mph thing take in effect. Like, could they still burn up your tires but just not go anywhere? The more I hear about the SCT Tuner I think I am going to put it next on the list.
There shalnt be any breaking loose of the tires. :D
Maybe a chirp if the valet tried and dumped the clutch really hard, or as the rev limit kicks in and the engaged clutch locks up the rear end and the vehicle skids a little. LOL

It would be REALLY nice if it was a quick swap from 94 OCT to Valet, but the SCT takes a few minutes (less than 5) and a couple of turns of the key.
Not only does he get to put his butt in your ride, but you're also tipping him, so........he can wait. :)

As some others have said, the BEST tunes come from you, your car and the SCT being all in the same place at the same time and run on a dyno. That's optimal and the tuner (Roe/DC/etc.) can get the car running like a top.
The ones you get via email will be basic and VERY safe.
SOTP feel was immediate in my case. It's like I got a brand new engine. 3rd gear became a real treat.
With the generic ones, you'll get varying results (improved HP? improved TQ? improved MPG?).
With the ones done via dyno, you'll end up with improved results specific to your vehicle's engine.

Oh, and you *CAN* get a pre-owned SCT and use it.
The SCT allows for (3) different vehicles to use one tuner, then it needs to be reset (by SCT, for a fee).
So, you can be User #2 and still put your 3 tunes on it. No problem.
Just make sure you're not User #4. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave