Search functionality proposal

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the years there have been several threads regarding inner tie rods and tie rod ends. I searched and came back with zero results. It didn't even return the inner tie rod thread I started this week. So I propose this, actually working search functionality for Venom members.

Also, if anyone can give me info on finding an inner tie rod I'd appreciate it.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Runnr. It just doesn't work at all. Maybe it's my personal settings? Do a search on "inner tie rod". Does it work for you?

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Yes, and no.

When I search for inner tie rods, it does a search but it seems to drop the word "inner". I suppose this is part of their anti-hack protection, as "inner" is actually a command in mySql.

When I do a search for "inner tie rods" (using the quotes) I get a different search result, which contains stuff you may have been looking for.

I started looking last night at possibly moving this board away from vBulletins search procedures to another one called Spinx. I think we may simply be at the point in our life (and database size) where the default search simply *****.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"inner tie rod" will not find "inner tie rods" because the two phrases are in quotes and so the search engine searches for the exact same phrase. This works as it should.

"inner tie rods" does find "inner tie rods" because the two phrases are exact matches.

inner tie rods is found because the search engine is looking for exact individual matches of the words. Your assessment of INNER being a SQL keyword is probably correct and it must apply to the word TIE also because that search doesn't return anything either.

inner tie rod does not return anything.

Conclusion: it kinda works. The simple solution is to advise users to use double quotes and search for the exact phrase.

I hope I remember.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started looking last night at possibly moving this board away from vBulletins search procedures to another one called Spinx. I think we may simply be at the point in our life (and database size) where the default search simply *****.

No question about it, it does ****, we've outgrown it. Prior to the upgrade, I had figured out the last search feature getting the right combination of "", etc. in my search strings to find what I was looking for. Now...now I'd rather rip out my brain stem, carry it to the nearest 4-way intersection and skip rope with it as opposed to performing a search here. I'd like to see the search feature upgraded before I rip out my brain stem.