Serious Business

Grailkeeper

VCA Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Viper Nation.....

Time to speak seriously..... Now that the smoke has cleared and Viper is on solid ground for the forseeable future, let's talk the business of keeping CAAP running. The plant has what's called a gateline that reflects the number of new orders scheduled into the plant. The gateline, in simple terms, drive the rest of the activity that gets your car built. This means all the suppliers look at the g-line and then they can plan for delivery of parts. Of course this means body panels as well but the color situation complicates that end of the business further. Let's be clear.... without orders coming out of the dealers to the plant the entire process in put in jeopardy. And remember, if you take the attitude you want to wait for an '010 and pass on an '09 it risks shutting the plant down for lack of '09 orders. Get out there and beat the bushes to get folks that are on the fence to act now. Waiting may end up being fatal. No one wants to see the production stop, but without support from the Nation....well you can guess the rest.......GK

ps....I'm back in town after an extended visit to the east coast with no internet access....so fire up those questions and shoot.....

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi there,im from canada.i think i did my part for ording cars,i have 2 08 and 2 09. my question is could someone do a break down on cars that came to canada in 08 and 09? thanks shawn

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm in that situation now. I hear rumors of a gen V in 2010. Is it true?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Chrysler have a policy which prohibits dealers from ordering cars without a buyer? Make them all ACR's (most manuf go with the best product at the end of production run) and put those cars in showrooms, and they will sell! What about racing support? Put the ACR in some race series, or support those who do (like me!) JMHO

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about racing support? Put the ACR in some race series, or support those who do (like me!) JMHO

+1.

Relatively speaking it wouldn't take a lot of money to encourage Viper racing. Lotsa racers already want Vipers because at the end of the season they are less to maintain than any other car in it's class. And racers LOVE winning a check no matter how small.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm in that situation now. I hear rumors of a gen V in 2010. Is it true?

I think I can say with 100% certainty - no. If you want a Viper - don't wait. 2010 won't getcha anything other than perhaps a color or trim choice not available on 2009. And waiting may just end up hastening the Viper's demise.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buyer may not be happy buying an 09 now and in a few months the 2010s are out? Plus its a newer model and may offer differences the buyer would be happier with. Plus, get the dealers service to again have Mobil 1 available per the owners manual. Love the Tators bit. How many other dealers on here do you hear customers rave about? Not many.

VENOMNS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya... im still loving my 06 b/w, especially with the paxton going on soon! :D

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not buying something I don't have enough head room in!
(Oh is THAT the 2010 change we have been hearing about?)

RAH!!! Glad I waited!!!
PBR

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want another Viper there is no reason to wait. The 08/09s are awesome cars. Much better than my previous Gen 3 and way better than the Gen 1/2s. Ok styling is personal choice but I love the Gen 4 style. I can't see Dodge making too many changes except colors for 10.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a Quaife diff in the ACR. I found the limit of the one in my ACR at TWS...Yee Haw! Took that thing for ever to "lock up". Never mind my early turn-in to turn 4. I felt like I was driving a Fox body Mustang with an open diff! Throw another $1500 onto the price of an ACR - no body will complain. We (ACR buyers) aren't exactly getting what you call "discounts" when we buy them. Not like the $20k rebates on the SRTs a few months ago.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no major changes planned for 2010 and it is definitely not worth waiting for if you are expecting something big. Maybe a couple different colors (and a couple that go away) and non-essentials like a different cowling (the thing under your windshield wipers), but not much more.

Having had the distinct pleasure of flying to Dallas on Saturday and driving back an '08 ACR with the KCVCA VP (his new car), I cannot begin to tell you how incredible that car really is. Mind you, we absolutely adore our '05 roadster with all the DLM goodies, but the Gen IV is truly a world apart. The simple fact is that the '08/'09 Viper represents the pinnacle of the breed when it comes to performance and mechanics. Certainly that doesn't mean you should be tossing out all the other Vipers (hardly!), but as Ferris Bueller would say, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." And I couldn't agree more.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is that even with a hood refresh in 08', the car looks pretty much the same as an 03' With a 10' model, that is an 8 year styling period. Way, way too long in the tooth.

Most people have said, when they see a car, they just have to have it which creates that impulse buy manufacturers love. With Viper (for me) it was the same thing. BUT, that was 4 years ago with my 06' Coupe. Even with the hp jump and better mechanicals, it is the same dash, same look, same overall car. For most, like myself, there is just not a big enough reason to change from what they have already and buy a new one with the price diff being very substantial and the way the value of the new car drops like a stone with these newer models. It really only makes sense, if you HAVE the means.

Colors, wheels and refinement are always welcome, but appeal and got to have it style, sell the cars. Hope talk of a true GEN V happens soon to give it real hope.

However like others have posted, it is hard to justify buying a new one without support. My local Dodge dealer went on the hit list for Chrysler and left me and others to fend for ourselves with regards to Viper service. Seriously not a trustworthy tech (other than if I went private, all out of my pocket with the Viper Tech they abandoned) or Dodge dealership left in Colorado. Hard to sell a car without support. Feel like my Viper turned into all those Saleens I have owned over the years.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a Quaife diff in the ACR. I found the limit of the one in my ACR at TWS...Yee Haw! Took that thing for ever to "lock up". Never mind my early turn-in to turn 4. I felt like I was driving a Fox body Mustang with an open diff! Throw another $1500 onto the price of an ACR - no body will complain. We (ACR buyers) aren't exactly getting what you call "discounts" when we buy them. Not like the $20k rebates on the SRTs a few months ago.

I don't think the Quaife would have helped you, Archer evaluated the new rear end in the 08 and pronounced it the equal of the Quaife. He actually said something to the effect that he would not be able to tell the difference between the new rear end and a Quaife under track conditions.

BJ MOTORS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2009 Vipers are incredible machines :drive:, I can personally say that each and every car is its own unique car; The colors this year are by far the best color combinations options yet. Several comments regarding seat positions are easily addressed, a few bolt ons and the cars increased power just amazes me.

This past month at TWS (Texas World Speedway) we had the first ACR run with us in the wheel to wheel at Viper Days, I had an incredible time trying to keep up with him on the front stretch. I mean this snake means business.

Viper Days with its demand of ACR entries has even created a separate class for 2010 so it will make for great friends and family environemnt and great competition.
I applaud Dodge and the engineers/designers behind the creation of this car, as there is no other car in my existence that can run like our beloved Competition Coupes. I think in the owner's manual it should state "If you can't hang with the "Big Dogs" or maybe "Big Snakes" stay out of the Garage. I am sure that someone else can do better, but I think you know what I mean.

I am doing my part to help the Viper “Stay Alive” and will continue to be a strong supporter :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a dealer I talked to back in April when I bought my '09 shoot me a note saying he's got 15 ACRs arriving and I could buy one for $5K back. If I hadn't bought mine aleady, I'd seriously consider the ACR now. I really miss the fact that I didn't do it then but in April the choices were farily limited and no one would deal on them like the Coupe. I can't add the different parts to mine for the cost difference of the ACR. the ACR is a great deal overall.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is that even with a hood refresh in 08', the car looks pretty much the same as an 03' With a 10' model, that is an 8 year styling period. Way, way too long in the tooth.

Most people have said, when they see a car, they just have to have it which creates that impulse buy manufacturers love. With Viper (for me) it was the same thing. BUT, that was 4 years ago with my 06' Coupe. Even with the hp jump and better mechanicals, it is the same dash, same look, same overall car. For most, like myself, there is just not a big enough reason to change from what they have already and buy a new one with the price diff being very substantial and the way the value of the new car drops like a stone with these newer models. It really only makes sense, if you HAVE the means.

Colors, wheels and refinement are always welcome, but appeal and got to have it style, sell the cars. Hope talk of a true GEN V happens soon to give it real hope.

However like others have posted, it is hard to justify buying a new one without support. My local Dodge dealer went on the hit list for Chrysler and left me and others to fend for ourselves with regards to Viper service. Seriously not a trustworthy tech (other than if I went private, all out of my pocket with the Viper Tech they abandoned) or Dodge dealership left in Colorado. Hard to sell a car without support. Feel like my Viper turned into all those Saleens I have owned over the years.

I agree too, as much as I LOVE the Gen 3 and 4 styling.... It is now due for a redesign, not that we don't like like, its just that everything grows old after a while.... If it was redesigned I KNOW that would boost sales, although I find it hard to believe Chrysler has the means to do anything like that anytime soon.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree too, as much as I LOVE the Gen 3 and 4 styling.... It is now due for a redesign, not that we don't like like, its just that everything grows old after a while.... If it was redesigned I KNOW that would boost sales, although I find it hard to believe Chrysler has the means to do anything like that anytime soon.

+1. While I would take a Gen IV if given one, I'd rather take the difference in price and adding a Gen IV hood and Paxton to my 06.