Service Engine Soon light - help

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Service Engine soon light only comes ont when it detects a emission control problem. Take it back to the dealer and they will hook it up to the computer an check the code that comes up. And can fix the problem with the code

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem today. I got some overspray on the engine, but the car was completely cold... The light turned on instantly when I started the car. I've driven the car about 30 miles since then, with multiple on/offs, but the light never goes away. It's a 99 GTS w/3K miles, smooth tubes + K&Ns.

What was the final verdict on this?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, codes do get set for some reason or another.

*Try first by disconnecting the battery at the jump post for at least 1/2 hour.
If it's not a "hard code," the light will shut off.

*If it is a "hard code," the battery would have to be disconnected for over two years to remove the code.

In that case a trip to the dealer for a "DRB Scan Tool" would need to be used. Unless of course, you don't mind waiting two years and losing your favorite pre-programed radio stations
You must be registered for see images

Doug

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 GTS has had the code reset 3 times, back to my Viper tech for an emmision part replacement, and 2 days later the service engine light was back on. This has been going on for about 8 months. Going back in next week for the cars' spring check up and hopefully we'll get the problem solved. Bill Pembertons' 98 GTS also had the service engine light curse. Bill did you ever find out what the problem was on your car?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Haven't had a problem since we replaced one O2 sensor. I caused the problem,myself ,when I first got the car and I just spun on the gas cap quickly. After resetting the program, I made sure I ratchetted the cap tightly upon filling the tank, and after we fixed the O2 sensor things have been smooth sailing ever since.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, could be a LDP problem. This usually sets the code within the first minute of cold start up. Loose gas cap can also do it. Have someone qualified look at it. Don't sweat.dj