service history by VIN?

watersnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a dealer can pull a car's service history at any Dodge dealer nationwide by using the car's VIN? I don't have a lot of info on my car's history prior to my purchase two years ago. It does look like it had the 998 recall done, but I'd like to confirm that, and any other info (head gaskets, etc). Thanks

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, they certainly can, this is something all should do before buying a car. The service manager is ussally the one that will pull the info. Some dealers have no issue with doing this, while some may shy away from it unless you have a little history with them.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to be careful of is the period covered. The first time I had a dealer run mine very little came up. I had it run again, but, requested the data from the the original delivery date and far more came up. It was as though unless you specified a date, only a fixed period prior to the request would appear.

OP
OP
W

watersnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I've had no concerns with the car, but need to sell it, and would like to have more info available for a prospective buyer. Wish I'd thought to do this before I bought it.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ol Chuck always there when you need em

How can you not love this man.

Doug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the dealer pull my vin#. the only thing that came back was the original purchase date and first owner.they really didnt want to help me.

chuck, do you mind checking out my vin?

OP
OP
W

watersnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to give Chuck a call during business hours tomorrow. I think Tator would be about the only thing that would make me want to live in NY! I don't even bother going to the local Dodge dealer for my minivan, much less the Viper--no Viper certified tech on board.