Shame

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had exactly the opposite happen to me a few days back at work experience whilst on a service drive, and I had to go up a fairly steep hill :crazy: This was in a Fiat Scudo delivery van, I thought I had shifted the car into 1st but it really was 3rd. Stalled the car going up the hill, 1st and 3rd are so very close.
Hopefully your girlfriend will forgive you/has forgiven you :2tu:

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh,

After looking at the photos, you must be thankful that NOTHING happened to you or your girlfriend. Like the others posted, it could've been much worse. We had a dear friend loose it going 40 mph in an RT/10. His car looked much better than yours, but he lost his life. If there is anything good that can come out of this, it's a new respect for power that so many of take for granted. Sure, it was human error, but just under that shifter lies 550 horses, just wanting to bust out. We learn from mistakes and thank God, it you walked away. I wouldn't even bother trying to repair this vehicle. It'll never ride the same. Maybe buy it from the INS company and scrap if for parts.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The airbags only deploy in a frontal collision, where the measured impact (or deceleration is above a specified limit). It could be that the car did not hit front end first. It looks like all sides were hit at some time so who knows.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you just bought that car. That's too bad it had to happen.
Reinforces the fact that we can never lose respect for the Viper.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the world feels like a horrible place for you right now but remember that bad times come and go. You were unharmed and that is simply the most important thing here. There are many greiving families who wish that things had turned out the way the did for you this time. I am glad that you and your girlfriend are ok.

OP
OP
J

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the posts and good thoughts.

Almost a month later and my girlfriend and I seem to be better physically with no long-term injuries. I still beat myself up about this accident mentally, but it is getting better.

I'm crossing my fingers that I will be the one lucky person of the 2005 folks with a ticket for the VCA raffle. Otherwise, I'm not sure yet about another Viper right away. That would be a great outcome and easy way to get back into a Viper.

I have not gotten the check yet, but I believe the insurance company settled for an amount higher than what I paid for the car (the only blessing in this whole ordeal - I'll be happy when I see the check). Some of you may recall that I searched for months to find my bargain... so that should help me recoup some of my time put into finding the deal of the century in TX. I paid down some too... so the remaining lein is not the actual cost of the car.

When I bought the car, it was from the original owner. But after the accident and airbags not going off, I looked into the car a little more. It was strange to find out Dodge actually had two owners on this car prior to me…. Somewhat confusing. The ticket I got was improper driving, so that seems fair enough (it did not spin off the road by itself).

I kind of summarized what I feel directly contributed to the accident to a friend:
1. Starting my downshifting while in a turn
2. Accidentally shifting into first instead of third
3. Being too confident that I was in third and letting out the clutch before checking that little gut feeling

I think if I took one of those three away, I would've been ok, but the combination of all three led to my loss of control…. but that’s life.

Someone just contacted me about wrecking their 04 SRT this weekend, so I hope for them they are OK as well.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done the exact same thing. I have learned to not do anything "sporty" on curves. You just never know. Could have happened to any of us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper