Short throw question.

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,

My car is an 04. Pretty close to stock minus K&N kit and possibly a cat-back (havent had the sills off yet to check but im fairly certain it isnt stock). I'm looking to do a few tidy mods and one of them is a short throw kit. The stock setup isnt terrible but i'm sure most will agree that it could be better. I've seen the kits offered on most of the sites (Viper store, roe, etc) and most of them arent really "branded" except for the MGW. I've seen a bunch of references to a Hurst kit but have had no luck finding one online. I've also considered just have my shifter cut down a bit or buying one of the shorter shift knobs that are available. Just want to hear opinions... who's running the different kits out there and what feedback do you have? Thanks in advance!

jjhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a ipsco short throw shifter, great installation instructions online. Havent gotten around to installing it yet but I do dislike the stock shifter, it feels like I'm rowing a boat. :)

I also ordered a MGW barrel shifter knob. They sell them for their corvettes but an easy fix to fit on the viper.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've got the same shift knob as Kirkinsb and have enjoyed it. Never knew the stock knob until my dad got an 03 and it's a world of different with just that small change.

OP
OP
N

nate1121

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody used one of the stock shifter lowering kits from parts rack (made by dave's viper shop i think)?

jjhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody used one of the stock shifter lowering kits from parts rack (made by dave's viper shop i think)?
I used the 1" lowering kit from Parts Rack. Really happy with the shifter and the new knob.
You must be registered for see images attach

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the same shift knob as Kirkinsb and have enjoyed it.

+1 for me. I have the same knob as them, plus I installed a B&M shifter and I LOVE IT!!! I also have a brand new transmission so the NEW shifter and the NEW transmission are both still kinda tight so don't try to drag race anybody by quick shifting. You have to almost wait for the synchros to align so the shifter will go to the next gear. No grinding of gears, but there is a definite pause between shifts.

But you really can't go wrong with any upgrade as long as you stick to quality. The stock knob shoulda went in the Viper trucks... The only other thing you will run into with shorter knobs (except the one we bought) is some people complain their knuckles hit the bezel ring. There is a flush mount ring kit you can buy to fix that, but then you are getting further from stock. My .02.....

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never quite understood how people could put up with some of those super short shifters. I've practically seen the shift knob inside the bezel ring on some cars and just think it would be annoying.