Should the Gen V have Gull Wing Doors

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been reading about the new AMG SLS and was wondering if it would be a good idea for the next generation Viper Coupe to come with Gull WIng Doors?

I understand Mercedes did some prototyping for the new car with the Gen IV Viper.

Comments...

I used to drive a Gull WIng Bricklin, and found it pretty easy to live with.:drive:

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pros: center T-bar structure to attach the Gull Wing portion of the doors to

Cons: convertible means totally different doors
increased cost to engineer two models

I like gull wing doors on cars that are coupes only, but the Viper always has to have a Vert model in my opinion.

Regards,
Aaron

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unnecessary! It is a door. Put the money into other areas of greater return. A very smart and aggressive design will sell just as well, gull-wing or non-gullwing.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of that would be necessary, they should leave the doors alone, I mean- not only is it a sports car, but it is a "muscle car" so gull doors, lambo doors would just not seem right. In my honest opinion they should restyle the Viper Coupe and Convertible to look more along the lines of the Gen 2. Bring back the legendary curves along the hood and roof especially with all the original styling blended in with some new improved styling as well of course; but also merge it with the already existing SRT by keeping a lot of the SRT features and styling as well- such as the aggressive hood vents, relocation of the battery, combine the SRT interior with the Gen 2s. I actually like how the hood opens on the Gen 2 better, since it's different, but allowing the hood to open up from the front like the SRT would mean a MUCH cheaper hood repair if need be. I also think having the car manufactured with both side exhaust and rear exhaust should be an option. That way everyone can be different without spending the extra $$$ to change it themselves. :)

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big thing to consider - it's hard to get gullwing doors open when the car is upside down... I'm actually surprised they make any cars with them. They may look cool, but from a safety perspective, I don't know if a high-performance car (by nature more likely than most to wind up upside-down) should have them... Back in engineering daze, we had a long discussion about the Mercedes 300 SL and all the hassles Mercedes had with it because of people flipping them and getting hopelessly stuck in the car.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not gull wing doors, but the next viper should have a clam shell hood like the gen 1 and gen 2 vipers

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big thing to consider - it's hard to get gullwing doors open when the car is upside down... I'm actually surprised they make any cars with them. They may look cool, but from a safety perspective, I don't know if a high-performance car (by nature more likely than most to wind up upside-down) should have them... Back in engineering daze, we had a long discussion about the Mercedes 300 SL and all the hassles Mercedes had with it because of people flipping them and getting hopelessly stuck in the car.

A fantastic point. Well done.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Idea, for many reasons most of which are stated above.

Not gull wing doors, but the next viper should have a clam shell hood like the gen 1 and gen 2 vipers
Clamshell hood? Good Idea:2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me be as clear about this as I can be....**** NO! :nono:

Thank you. :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.It seems to me that the time and dollars necessary to develop and test gullwing doors would be better spent developing something that enhances performance.

2. Wouldn't the mechanism for them be heavier?

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clamshell hood, great idea, gullwings, not so good. just doesn't seem - Viper.

Want to stop traffic, open the hood on a gen 2 and watch the crowds gather.

It's just another one of those things that set a Viper apart and make it special.:usa:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gullwing doors - nah.

Clamshell? Had those on my 96 Vettes. Easier to work on but I don't want the increased insurance premiums.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth