Side pipes for GTS

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the coolest feature of the 1st gen viper was the side exhaust.:cool:
It wasn't too popular but I loved it, trying to imagine the noise out of a V10 engine.:D
And the 2nd gen came out....no more side pipe.:(
I do understood the good reasons for this decision but...it's just so uncool.
Back to side pipe with the 3rd gen.:)
Question is: Is it possible to mount 3rd gen side exhaust system on a GTS?
Would be an easy way to modify it.:dunno:

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes. The exhaust runs the same route. Either cut a hole for the new exit or buy a new side sill.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side pipes are cool but loud! I can honestly say that I do not miss the side pipes now that I went from a Gen1 to a Gen2. As deadeye said, you can put siders on a GTS but at at cost.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my sidepipes, especially with the heads/cam combo from PBJ. It is loud, but it sounds like no other viper I have heard before. Old ladies and small children run for cover at full throttle!!!

martyb

OVERBOOST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my Side pipes. It sounds perfect with the paxton and no cats. Its not that loud with the windows up.
Here is some in car sound with the windows down.
YouTube - d2m viper
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my sidepipes, especially with the heads/cam combo from PBJ. It is loud, but it sounds like no other viper I have heard before. Old ladies and small children run for cover at full throttle!!!
martyb

:rolaugh: Exactly what I meant.:2tu:

Love my Side pipes. It sounds perfect with the paxton and no cats. Its not that loud with the windows up.

Thank you overboost for the super nice photo and the awesome youtube link.Excelent.:headbang:
Your car sound terrific, incredible.
In my car,I just love to ear every noises,specially engine and exhaust.:D
No fancy music system (useless weight added) nor loud music.:nono:
Just mechanical noise. It sounds like music to my ears.:crazy2:

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also love my side pipes. I went with fairly subtle mufflers and stock cats, so the exhaust note is acceptable to me. I went with the Gen 1 side sills and am pleased with the end product.....Doc

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i lOVE sidepipes on a GEN2 but i hate the hole in the rear fascia it leaves. i never saw that hole repaired but would be curious to see what it looked like fixed

OP
OP
C

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also love my side pipes. I went with fairly subtle mufflers and stock cats, so the exhaust note is acceptable to me. I went with the Gen 1 side sills and am pleased with the end product.....Doc

Sounds great. Do you have any photos?;)

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the side pipes as well and I would guess you would get a 20-30lb weight savings by removing all the rear tubing as well as freeing up the flow even better.

Are those Autoform side sills as Simms suggested? I don't see them on their web site.

Does anyone else make anything similar or do you just have to get some custom work done to open the stock sills?

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of switching over my '97 GTS to side exhaust. I am trading side sills with another member who has some Gen 1 sills to keep cost down.
I'll probably then go with the Corsa track exhaust. I'll post pics when it's done, I'm pretty excited about it.:headbang:

Yes, I do like a little more noise, its not a daily driver, just a toy;)
After being at PIR all weekend for the NASCAR races, I caught the bug even more for some raspy sounding side exhaust....

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of switching over my '97 GTS to side exhaust. I am trading side sills with another member who has some Gen 1 sills to keep cost down.
I'll probably then go with the Corsa track exhaust. I'll post pics when it's done, I'm pretty excited about it.:headbang:

Yes, I do like a little more noise, its not a daily driver, just a toy;)
After being at PIR all weekend for the NASCAR races, I caught the bug even more for some raspy sounding side exhaust....

You will not regret it, great sound.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the total cost? Can't you sell the stock side sills for enough to pay for the Autoform replacements? Also, does someone make a decent looking rear diffuser to replace the hole?

Overboost, How about a sound clip with the windows down (which is required at the track)? My buddy has a Gen I and has to wear earplugs under his helmet at the track, and still gets ringing in his head...so I have been leary of making the conversion even though it is very impressive sounding and badass looking. ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has helped convert over 20 such cars, including the first GTS to be converted (AZ) # 33 back in in July 1996. We have a lot of experience at this....and we are AutoForm's #1 volume vendor!

We will even trade in the OE sills and will GIVE you the Autoform sills in exhange.......and the Belanger side exhaust is under $400/traded . If you want OE Gen 1 sills the cost is higher.

Please email me or call for more info. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds as a great deal.
Now I will keep a record of this thread.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's about as perfect a job you could do in filling the gap. That is exactly what I had envisioned for mine. In my mind patching the hole would be exactly that, a patch. Your set-up would enable you to go back to stock if you desired. Very nice

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about as perfect a job you could do in filling the gap. That is exactly what I had envisioned for mine. In my mind patching the hole would be exactly that, a patch. Your set-up would enable you to go back to stock if you desired. Very nice

I agree with that assessment and not the previous.

Make the cover (patch) reversible...

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PartsRack has helped convert over 20 such cars, including the first GTS to be converted (AZ) # 33 back in in July 1996. We have a lot of experience at this....and we are AutoForm's #1 volume vendor!

We will even trade in the OE sills and will GIVE you the Autoform sills in exhange.......and the Belanger side exhaust is under $400/traded . If you want OE Gen 1 sills the cost is higher.

Please email me or call for more info. Thanks

So if someone wanted to do this swap would the side exhaust be painted and look similar to the red viper in the picture above? I'm talking about the red viper in front of the f22s.

What about if you already have an aftermarket catback I assume that system is now useless?

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
going side exit on my red 02 rt - looking for a suitable way of protecting the pipe exit surround at the sill rear (keeping the existing, stock sills on) and am curious to see if something like the SRT moulded surround would be flexible to fit around the pipe??
You must be registered for see images

(just to check: is the surround on the SRT actually a separate piece to the sill component..?!)

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am having a custom side exit exhaust built as we speak. I hope it is done by mid next week. The system consists of Balenger Long Tubes thru a set of 3" random tech Cats to a set of SLP 3" in/out SS mufflers, exiting out thru the side sill with a 4" slash cut tip cut to be even with the edge of the facia. I'll post a few pics when I get the car back.