Sideways through a ditch now car pulls hard right

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodged a deer last Saturday night, slid sideways through a ditch and back up onto the road without hitting anything, and now I'm afraid to know how much damage was done. The deer darted out, but I was too close to stop in time, so I thought I could hit the shoulder and beat it before it got to us. Instead...the rear tires broke loose on the shoulder and sideways through the gentle sloping ditch we went. I maintained control and got it back on the asphalt, but grass and dirt got between the tire and rims of both passenger wheels and I could hear air leaking but wasn't flat. I pulled back into the store I had just pulled out of, but they didn't have an air compressor. I hadn't shifted out of 2nd when all this happened. It was over as fast as it started.

Got a friend to pick us up and went back the next morning. The side of the car had a little mud but no body damage at all. The spot where I went off was smooth as glass and there wasn't even any ruts, but you could see where the tires slid across the top of the grass.

I was able to get the car to my house after cleaning the dirt from the rims and airing the tires up. Now it pulls hard to the right and the steering wheel has to be held a quarter turn to the left to keep it straight. I am taking it to an alignment shop Friday. Hopefully it's nothing too major to correct, maybe a bent tie rod at the most (fingers crossed).

Can anybody that knows the steering system on our cars chime in to give me some insight as to what we might find? Could this be a major(costly) mishap?

Going back this Saturday night with my rifle and waiting for the deer...

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here is an idea for the deer :D glad you guys are ok

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have titled this thread "My car almost wrecked"!!!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it ends up being a rear wheel toe issue, inspect the knuckle casting for cracks in the arm that the toe link attaches to. This seems to be more of an issue on Gen III cars, though.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have titled this thread "My car almost wrecked"!!!

Now THAT is the comment I was waiting for!!! I knew it was coming! Always appreciate your humor Free...lol

Thanks guys. Looks like it may be Saturday before I can get it to the shop, but I will reply as soon as I find out the damage. Like Broom said, expect the damage to be double what you can see from the outside.

I been craving venison backstrap wrapped in bacon for a while anyway....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So what was the consensus at the shop, since all our guesses were just that ---sliding through a ditch can be minor or major, but trying to estimate damage without looking at it is like going on blind date with only the knowledge that she is of the female persuasion, ha.

OP
OP
C

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally a stroke of good luck!! It turned out all of you were right to an extent. It was only an alignment issue with no major damage, including no cracks in the a-arms. The tech said it was bad out though. He even had to start it in on an angle to get it on the alignment rack because the rear end was crabbing out 1 foot for every 10 feet forward. He adjusted all four corners to get them in spec, then went around it again to fine tune it. He said some of the older adjustments were out too. I think he said the front camber was set at 3 and it needed to be around 5 or 6???(greek to me...) He did say it is now back in the middle and I have tons of adjustment either way in all directions.
Anyway, after unmounting the tires and cleaning the dirt and grass out, remounting, balancing and putting them back on plus the 'double' alignment it now drives straighter and smoother than it ever has before. Yep...VERY LUCKY! I haven't detailed it yet as I left it like it was with the mud and dirt on it so he could see how it slid, so I don't know yet if there is any paint scratches or damage. But I think it's gonna be fine(sorry to disappoint you Free...:smirk:)

Thanks,

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he said the front camber was set at 3 and it needed to be around 5 or 6???(greek to me...)

That sounds like he was talking about a caster spec, not camber.

Good to hear that the car is OK. Your description sounded like a lot of misalignment resulting from a damage free offroad "tweaking" like that; however, I have no experience to draw from to make a judgement anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper