Simple road racing question

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is some truth to it, or if it is a myth. Was talking to someone, and they said that road racing is extremely bad for our cars, and the heads will warp over time. Is this something that is true and needs to be worried about, or something that doesn't happen on our cars since they are designed for racing?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were u and your buddies smokin when u had this conversation?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a legit question, just the conclusion is not well founded. First off, yes, the Viper has been designed with track use in mind and many small details make the car more trackworthy than others, such as Corvettes (I am always bored at the track, because there is rarely anthing to repair on a Viper and the Vette guys are constantly repairing their cars). There are many spectrums in road racing, from short sprints to endurance racing. Most people just do what are called Drivers Education (DE or HPDE) which is simply spirited driving on the track in a safer environment than the street (with helmets, instructors, rules on passing, corner workers to warn of hazards ahead, etc). Extreme heat is the danger to your motor. A Viper will generally not overheat on the track unless the situation is extreme and not handled correctly. Personally, I change oil and filter after every track day. I monitor the fluids and temps carefully. I have never seen either my GTS or my ACR overheat, even in high 90 degrees and high humidity. That being said, I don't do endurance racing, where sometimes cars do overheat usu because a hose leaks or something out of the ordinary. You can run a motor up to redline frequently without doing any damage whatsoever, so long as properly maintained. The Viper motor rarely needs to be or is redlined on the track. Only during sprints down straights...even then, a good driver will shift before redline (due to HP and TQ dropoffs before redline). The Viper motor has so much torque that it easily handles the added stress of sticky tires. The drivetrain is usually the weak link, not the motor. Wheel bearings are a common item that needs to be replaced sooner when you track the car, but it isn't a big deal unless you don't recognize the need to maintain proper torque, don't know when to change them out and drive the wheel off the car! Yes, there are maintenance and preparation issues that most guys don't know about who track their cars, but again, most guys are just doing DE's and spirited driving that doesn't require more than ordinary maintenance. Guys and gals who actually race usually have a very extensive list of items to prep between races, and avoid problems.

OP
OP
D

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. The guy telling me this stuff owns a Corvette, he may of drawn his conclusions based on his car then passed them onto mine. He will be visiting in May and bringing his Corvette. When I brought up going down to laguna seca, he made it sound like I was asking to take a sledge hammer to his car.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been roadracing my GenII Viper the last 20k miles in the past 2 yrs.

I am an instructor, so I push the car..... but don't abuse it:)

Car is driving stronger than ever!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont know how I could add anything worthwhile to what Boxer, Pintaric, et-al have stated, but this. From Arnold Palmer:

Take Care Of the Old Equipment.....and it will take care of you."

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I push my car very hard and have never had any failure of any kind.

When I bench race with others they're always complaining about reliability. I absolutely LOVE my vipers reliability.

Others also complain about over heating issues in cars that are not vipers, especially corvettes. I've raced my viper in 90+ degree days wearing a cool suit to keep my wits about me and have never had any type of heat issues.

Engines can have issues that aren't raced. I have a friend that had an engine failure in his viper and its never been on the track. I've even done instructor days and given ride-alongs where I'm on the track for over an hour at a time without a single temp issue. The only issue I have then is the gas bill!! haha

Just take care of the car and it will be good to you. Run good brake fluid and bleed/flush it accordingly. I also change my oil after every race weekend. Every season I also have a chassis shop look over all the suspension parts just to make sure nothing looks out of place. So far after about 3000 track miles the only thing I've had to replace is brake pads and fluids.

I think the fact that all my parts come fron JonB@PartsRack and Woodhouse helps. :)