Skip shift eliminator

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to disengage the annoying 1-4 skip shift on my 1994 RT/10. I did some searching on this forum and online and found the following 2 methods:

1. Simply unplug the solenoid and tape everything off to prevent possible corrosion on the plug ends.
2. Purchase a skip shift eliminator that plugs into the harness to keep all things connected and achieve the same result.

I elected to go with option 2 (didn't feel as comfortable leaving a plug dangling around under this vehicle. Anyway, I purchased a "skip shift eliminator" off of ebay for around $13.00
Ebay link to what I bought
I was expecting a small harness that would plug into my set-up. To my surprise, I received a fancy color print-out with a resistor taped to the top. The "skip shift eliminator" solution was to jam the resistor into my harness and tape everything up. Not what I was looking for, at all.
I did some more searching and found this product, which appears to be the plug that I was expecting.
Click here
I don't want to be the victim of another ebay scam. Can anyone chime in and offer some advice? I did see that Northwind Engineering sells a skip shift plug for around $60.00. Is this the price to pay for a professional solution?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search and you will find a simple way to use a 10 cent resistor to disable this. It works. The resistor goes in to a connector, and you use electrical tape to secure it.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That appears to be what he purchased from Ebay for 10 dollars. I think he is looking for a "cleaner" solution, which is represented above.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the pigtail connector and installed it and it works just fine. You can get one from JonB at PartsRack. Be carefull to install it on the correct connector as there is another one that it can also plug in to. The right connector is the one towards the front of the car as the one behind it is for reverse. Good luck!!!:drive:

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with CROM. I bought that same unit on E-bay. The guy is an electrician (small business owner) and Viper owner. I was pleased with the piece...furtheremore there were shipping issues which he promptly resolved by sending another unit no excuses or questions asked. Install was a snap.

Kurt E

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did some more searching and found this product, which appears to be the plug that I was expecting.
Click here
I don't want to be the victim of another ebay scam. Can anyone chime in and offer some advice? I did see that Northwind Engineering sells a skip shift plug for around $60.00. Is this the price to pay for a professional solution?

I bought the unit from the link above late last week but I haven't received it yet. Looks like a clean/easy install and doesn't leave any loose wires. What interested me was that the description says that it doesn't connect to CAGS solenoid itself. Maybe this description is for another car but we'll see what comes and I'll post back, if you like.

Santo

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha ha!!! My car already had some sort of a "skip shift eliminator" installed when I got it, but I would just unplug the solenoid if I had to do it. Who cares if the wires/connector get dirty.... they will never be used again....EVER. The skip shift connector is just a resistor....? makes sense, to bleed off the short burst of voltage. Why not just leave it as an open and zip tie the connector up out of the way somewhere or even just cut the wires. Less problems, with less junk, inline with the system. I mean if the solenoid just needs a voltage source to enguage, the remove the source and the solenoid will sit at idle and you can shift at will. The source will still send a designated volt signal to the wires (origionally attached to the solenoid) but it doesn't care one way or the other if anything is attached at the end of the wires or not.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After looking at the item you linked Santo, and reading the description it appears that there is no male end to the piece. Thus, as the description details, eliminating the solenoid in the system altogether. So, you will have a dangling plug to tie up apparently.

-FROG-: I like to make everything nice and clean.:shower:

Last edited:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just unplug it, tale up the connectors, zip tie out of the way (if they are), and forget it.
I unplugged mine in 2000 when I got the car, and never looked back.
There may be some issues with later model cars setting a code.
Later,

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After looking at the item you linked Santo, and reading the description it appears that there is no male end to the piece. Thus, as the description details, eliminating the solenoid in the system altogether. So, you will have a dangling plug to tie up apparently.

Crom,

After reading the Ebay ad with what you said in mind, you are probably right. It's a fancy 10 cent resistor :) At least one end will be sealed ;-)

Santo

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crom,

After reading the Ebay ad with what you said in mind, you are probably right. It's a fancy 10 cent resistor :) At least one end will be sealed ;-)

Santo

Actually, believe it or not, when I buy resistors and other electronic components like caps, and inductors here at work, they are priced at $.001 each, so they are super, mega cheap!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drive the car like it's meant to be driven.

I haven't had a skip shift eliminator in either of my Vipers and yet have never had it kick in.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used just the cheap plug in resistor & the more substantial plug into the loom type & never have had a problem w/ either. I like the wires that plug into the loom as it looks better & has better protection from the elements.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R