Slight squeek coming from drivers rear wheel.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When driving below 10 mph, I can hear a slight squeel coming from the drivers side rear wheel area. Dont think its the brakes because when I lightly push the brakes, the sound is still there and pads are fine. Would a wheel bearing make that kind of sound only at slow speeds? Maybe more likely brake dust or pad glazing? Also, if I stop and put it in reverse and go very slow I get the same sound. Any info. is appreciated.

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
8000 miles, does not go away while turning, I have not changed the diff. fluid. Will try the E brake, forgot about trying that.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Might also be the rubber bushings in the A arms. Sand and small pebbles can collect between the bushings and the bushing surrounds that are welded to the frame.

I clean out the sand / pebbles and spray mine with WD 40 every once in a while when I get this type of squeak. It has worked so far.....

Dan

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan,
I was thinking that It may be something related to that also. Noticed that when I hit small bumps in a parking lot the sound would change like it may be a suspension item. Will try that also. Will let you know the results. Thanks again.

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playin around a little with it, I think its the Ebrak pads on the driver side. Woud a brake cleaner spray or some type of cleaner help. I am assuming that its just dust/brake dust in the pads. Thanks for all the input!

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playin around a little with it, I think its the Ebrak pads on the driver side. Woud a brake cleaner spray or some type of cleaner help. I am assuming that its just dust/brake dust in the pads. Thanks for all the input!
...I've read (on this forum) that in some cases the e-brake pads "over self-adjust", resulting in premature wear... worst case, when ignored, scoring the rotors.
Check those e-brake pads.

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The pads look good, but how would I adjust the " over adjustment" if thats the case? Must be an adjustment spot on the cable somewhere? Also, would that over adjustment only happen on one side? Thanks again.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The pads look good, but how would I adjust the " over adjustment" if thats the case? Must be an adjustment spot on the cable somewhere? Also, would that over adjustment only happen on one side? Thanks again.

If the e-brake pads look OK, particularly the inner pads, then you're not suffering from the same problem. Or maybe you've caught it early?

I haven't searched for a specific solution to this problem, but there are multiple threads re: the e-brake topic. The one referenced below recommends swapping the inner and outer pads after awhile to increase the lifetime of the set; also speculation that the cable itself is causing this asymmetric, premature wear:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/636503-E-brake-pads?highlight=e-brake

I have read that some guys avoid using the e-brake in hopes of preventing the "over self-adjustment" phenomenon. Dunno if anyone's proven that or not...

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. Will look into this. For know maybe just not use the e brake and see if anything changes:dunno:

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update on the brake squeel situation. I tried not using the ebrake for about a week and it does help alot. Only hear a slight noise about 20% of the time now. Is there some type of backflow valve on the hydro parts of the ebrake that will not allow the release of pressure when the brake is released?:dunno: Seems that not using the ebrake allows the pressure on the pads to gradually decrease after a period of time and keeps them from contacting the rotors as much. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
E-brake mechanism is mechanical and it can be loosened up a bit but is a pain.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its all mechanical, then there goes the pressure theory! Must be that when the pads wear and are not adjusted back against the rotor by pulling the brake the noise stops due to the extra gap created by the worn pads:dunno: Makes sense I guess?

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine just recently started the same noise but coming from the passenger side. Another club member (same car 2010 FE) went to dealership about 2 days later with same noise, same side. Both have approx 12,000 miles. My car is going in on Thurs to check it out. I will post findings here probably Fri/Sat.

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Golfer15, that would be great. Keep me updated on what they find out.
Mine just recently started the same noise but coming from the passenger side. Another club member (same car 2010 FE) went to dealership about 2 days later with same noise, same side. Both have approx 12,000 miles. My car is going in on Thurs to check it out. I will post findings here probably Fri/Sat.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
E-brake pads on these cars can wear pretty quickly.....

Good luck,

Dan

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem was the e brake. Just build up, got them cleaned and no issues so far(just had it looked at yesterday). LOL, the e brake now goes back a little further with very little resistance. That there was I sign I did not think about. (It's been 18 years since my last standard). After picking the car up, parked her, pulled on the e brake, and said wow that was smooth and easy. Went for a cruise last night, got home late so it was very quiet, and heard nothing. I'll post in this thread next week sometime and give updates

John

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem was the e brake. Just build up, got them cleaned and no issues so far(just had it looked at yesterday). LOL, the e brake now goes back a little further with very little resistance. That there was I sign I did not think about. (It's been 18 years since my last standard). After picking the car up, parked her, pulled on the e brake, and said wow that was smooth and easy. Went for a cruise last night, got home late so it was very quiet, and heard nothing. I'll post in this thread next week sometime and give updates

John
Thanks for the update! Do you know if they used a simple brake parts cleaner? Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang