Slotted Cross Drilled Brake Rotor Recommendations?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through Rotor Works on ebay. Kinda skeptical at first...but they turned out being damn nice.

I think it was 350ish for all four...and I run them with the EBC greens

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cross drilled rotors are a poser mod., if you drive the car very hard or track it you could get stress cracks on the rotor. If you look at the rotors that most of the viper race cars run they are either solid or slotted. my two cents

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cross drilled rotors are a poser mod., if you drive the car very hard or track it you could get stress cracks on the rotor. If you look at the rotors that most of the viper race cars run they are either solid or slotted. my two cents

Take a look at his sig, "Custom Viper Overlays"

I think he's safe with slotted cross drilled. In fact, he could probably put CF overlays on them and still be fine.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baer Eradispeed here, they do the job!

1494ZAFcovers-med.jpg

yes the picture was taken in the future! LOL

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with the for looks only crowd, unless your pads 'out-gas' the slots or holes (which are designed to break up a potential gas layer between the pads and the rotors) won't do anything for actual brake performance.

Most high performance pads don't out-gas anymore (although I have heard that Pagids do) FWIW, I tried sloted and plain rotors on my Z28 trak car with Performance Friction 93 pads and couldn't tell any diference. Now I just use plain rotors.

Jim

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Take a look at his sig, "Custom Viper Overlays"

I think he's safe with slotted cross drilled. In fact, he could probably put CF overlays on them and still be fine.

lol.

Bat™

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did EBC's slotted and dimpled rotors. They seem to work great and have the same look without the weakness.

JonB gave me an excellent deal!

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is cross drilled rotors a poser mod for all cars? Or just for heavier cars like ours that really need a lot of breaking force?

For example all sport bikes have drilled rotors and I've never heard of them having issues. Obviously though the brake power to weight ratio is much better on bikes then most cars.

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as my brake kit goes, I'm gonna go with Dave(Racecars) kit.

SRT/Gen2 Big Brake Bracket Kit
This kit uses your old Gen2 front calipers & 13" rotors on the rear, and Uses SRT-10 front calipers and 14" rotors on the front.(calipers & rotors not included, and are available seperately.

DOT S/S Brake Flexline Kit
13" E-Brake Kit

Bat™

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if it applies only to the vented type of rotor that our cars use or to rotors in general. the comp coupe rotors may be slotted only, if i remember correctly that the LeMans winning vipers had solid rotors. i think that motorcycle rotors are not of the vented type and area solid disc with cross drilling and or slots. i'm sure someone with much more knowledge than myself can chime in.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes you are right, motorcycles are a solid rotor with holes drilled through them, I didn't even think about the venting of car rotors. It all is starting to make sense now. :)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've been told, the slots DO help with exhausting gas and heat. The cross drilling is generally less effective but DO provide more bling. The problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, no one is manufacturing a CAST cross drilled rotor, which is the only means of providing the bling without weakening the rotor. I believe you can get them, but a one off cost is outrageous (at least to me). Maybe someone can find a reliable manufacturer and organize a large group purchase?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was just gonna add (but somebody beat me to it) it depends whether they were drilled or cast that way. Some cars (Z51 package for C6 vettes) come with CR rotors.

Another company you might wanna check out is stoptech. They're local. I don't know how good theyre brakes are, but alot of folks are switching over to them.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought EBC's slotted and "dimpled" from JonB. Great deal and you get the "look" without the weakened rotor at a reasonable price.

I'm using them with the SRT brake upgrade kit from Dave (Racecars).

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the BREMBO Cross drilled rotors for the front and rear with new metal matrix pads and new lines, stops a bit better. :2tu:

96 B&W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you guys go with Daves setup are you buying the gen III
front rotor and calipers new from DC or does he have a line on used sets???? How much does the whole setup cost??

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought EBC's slotted and "dimpled" from JonB. Great deal and you get the "look" without the weakened rotor at a reasonable price.

I'm using them with the SRT brake upgrade kit from Dave (Racecars).

I'll have to give JohnB a call today :) .

Bat™

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got it Dave :) . Cant wait to get them on. I tried contacting Rotorpro's several times, but got no reply. That leaves me no choice other than to look elsewhere.

Bat™

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JohnB hooked me up with a set of slotted dimpled rotors today. Thanks John!

Bat™

[image]http://partsrack.blastmart.com/product_image.php?imageid=258[/image]

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my GTS with Dave's Big Brake Kit using SRT Brakes Front and Rear with EBC dimpled and slotted rotors.

Let me add that Dave has been unbelievable through this process in helping me through wheel fitment issues with these brakes.

Also, thanks to Jon B. for hooking me up with a smoking deal on SRT brake parts and the EBC rotors. Jon has been and will continue to be my first call.

3419Apr_06_173s-med.jpg

3419Apr_06_171s-med.jpg

3419Apr_06_170s-med.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets