Slow Market for coupes right now?

Thefng

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 06 Coupe with 39k miles that I have been trying for 6 months to move at a fairly competitive price compared to what's out there on autotrader/cars.com/cargurus. I can't understand the lack of interest in such a clean car. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm just not willing to wholesale it when I see so many cars priced higher than mine. Conventual wisdom says just take the loss, but that doesn't equate for me lol

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your price is high and your car is not that clean. You're a dealer, you should know what its worth.

Go take a look at BAT in the past 6 months

- red coupe like yours, stock, 3100 miles, $72.5k

- Black 1800 mi. $79k

- Black w/silver stripes, 24k miles, $69k

- Red w/silver stripes w/supercharger, 13k miles, $66k

Price sells cars, retail on yours, low's $60's at best, good luck!!!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with what was written above. You are asking no stories, low mile money for a car that clearly has a story, and is not low miles (I'm talking at least < 10k miles, < 5k miles would be more like it).

The pics that are available are all low-res and there aren't enough - pics underneath can go a long way to proving this is such a clean car.

Your description also lacks detail.

Google search of the VIN shows what the car used to look like when it was sold by Premiere Sports Cars who knows how long ago. It looked clean in those pics, but that was ~37k miles and many owners ago.

Car Gurus states 9 previous owners. That would be a red flag for me (and likely for most prospective owners).

Excellent condition tires means nothing. How many miles on them? Date codes? From the pics, there are Michelins on the back and Continentals up front...mis-matched tires isn't a deal-breaker, but it would make me wonder why. So, why?

"One accident on the car fax that air bags didn’t even deploy from the front bumper."

Again, that isn't enough info. What exactly happened? Did it happen while you were the owner? Pics of the damage? Who did the repair? What was repaired vs. replaced? Damaged Vipers can most definitely be fixed, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a high performance car unless I knew exactly what happened and how it was fixed. This ain't a '94 Corolla.

Others have already pointed out the obvious - the finish on the wheels isn't OEM (the OEM finish can be seen on the Premiere Sports Cars page) and the rotors look like cheap Chinesium from Ebay. Forged carbon fiber is either love it or hate it - either way, it likely won't be a selling point for most prospective buyers. The car has clearly been lowered (again, see original pics on the Premiere Sports Cars site), but no mention about what parts were used to do that. What happened to all of the badges/emblems?

Based on all of the above, it gives the impression that something isn't quite right. It also doesn't look like you've been in the business for very long, and it looks like selling cars is a side hustle for you. That may also be a cause for concern for some.

The market will certainly let you know what a fair price is. If you want top dollar, you are going to have to hang on to it for a long time, or find someone that isn't very savvy about these cars and has loads of cash burning a hole in their pocket. I'm sure they are out there.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
To me at least if you are asking more than $60k that gets into gen 4 territory, as in I would start looking at gen 4s and see what I could find for similar or not much more. The gen 3 coupe is unique in that it's a one year only deal, but it's still a gen 3 in the long run. You might need to see where those are priced and undercut them more than looking at similar gen 3s if you want to move it faster.

I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to price creep in my head about what I want to buy. By that I mean back when I first got my job I was looking for a small 4WD pickup for a daily driver, something like an S10, though I found they didn't exactly make those. Anyway, I was hoping to pay ~$5k. Then I started thinking about getting a WRX to keep the AWD but have more fun. That shifted my budget to around $7k since that was what I was finding them for. Then I added the Mitsubishi EVO into the search as they are similar cars, but that bumped my budget up to $8-9k. In the end I got an XKR because my parents had an XJR at the time and I remembered liking the XK in the Bond movie, so my $5k pickup turned into a $12k Jaguar because it was always "one more step" up the ladder. The same can happen with Vipers pretty easily. You might start looking at higher mileage gen 2s in the 20s and 30s, then decide a gen 3 would be nice for the better brakes so your budget shifts to 30s-40s. Then you decide you want a coupe and your budget shifts again up to 50-60. Then you start cross shopping gen 3s and 4s because they are both coupes and you might snag a higher mileage gen 4 for the same price as a low mileage gen 3 coupe. Probably not super typical to go all the way from a well used $20k gen 2 to a $60k+ gen 4 for most shoppers, but probably not that big of a leap to go from $60k for a gen 3 to $70k for a gen 4.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you state that you "see so many cars priced higher than mine". Have those cars sold?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices are going to dump along with the economy soon. If you don't need to sell, don't.

Shakazito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s your answer. The price should be south of this BaT auction.

46k-Mile 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe​

Sold for $55,500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21