Smoke ***! Same sex marriages! NOW PHOTO RADAR!!!

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope the USA don't follow us Canadians.... Goverment now installing photo radar that will take a picture of all calls speeding and send you a ticket in the mail.

Unreal!!!!! Viper may be up for sale soon unless someone can tell me what the best radar system on the market it is? Cost is not an option.

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the system you are talking about is fixed at a point on the highway. Just like the system in NYC that automatically mails you a ticket if you pass a red light at an intersection.

If so, you don't need a radar detector. You need this plastic license plate cover that looks clear, but when you take a photo of it at a certain angle it 'whites out'. They are not legal here, but maybe ok by you. Good luck.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also heard of a clear coat (course, can't recall the name) that you apply to the license plate, so coppers can't even tell you have it on...Apparently this product was tested by some big names, maybe Consumer reports or C&D, so it got a lot of publicity...Can anyone recall the name? cheers Tomer

DR VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's just another revenue generating gimmick for the government....they tried it once before and scrapped it soon after.
There are certain intersections that have permanent cameras recording 24 hours a day.....as for the mobile Photo radar-nothing's been finalized yet!

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find out the aperture speed is on the cameras. Then all you have to do is exceed it, how could they give a ticket to a blur! :2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the system you are talking about is fixed at a point on the highway. Just like the system in NYC that automatically mails you a ticket if you pass a red light at an intersection.

If so, you don't need a radar detector. You need this plastic license plate cover that looks clear, but when you take a photo of it at a certain angle it 'whites out'. They are not legal here, but maybe ok by you. Good luck.
This get's the car's owner a ticket, but NOT a moving violation since they cannot determine the driver from behind.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very poular in europe for 2 decades, check out some british mags I recall some countermeaseurs being advertised a few issues back.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article in the Washington Post about the clear coats a while back. The product they were talking about was called PhotoBlocker. It's a little pricey at $30 a can but the person they interviewed put it on his eight delivery trucks. He said he had $1200 worth of tickets before then (they didn't state a time period) but not a single ticket since applying the clear coat.

I've always wondered what the photo flash systems do in case of either a funeral procession or an ambulance or fire truck. It's legal to go through a red light if you're doing it to clear the way for an emergency vehicle. It'd be a shame if those people got a photo ticket because they were trying to get out of the way. We'd have a situation where people would stop moving out of the way for emergency vehicles. This is what happens when you use a machine with no sense of reason to enforce the law.

--Rob

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you folks in the rest of the Country are way behind the times. We have had photo radar here in the Phoenix Metro area for well over 10 years (Paradise Valley, AZ was the first ever place to have it, now Scottsdale as well as Tempe are using it). The units are in vans and suburbans that are mobile and they park them in hidden locations on the side of the road so you cannot memorize where they are. Now don't forget that we have no front license plates here in AZ, so I hate to burst your bubble but the system is so sophisticated that when it senses a speeder coming, it flash pictures the driver then based on the speed of the vehicle flashes a picture of the rear license plate and matches them up. If a ticket comes in the mail and it is not you driving the car, you can visit the station, show them it is not you and the game is over (unless you are dumb enough to tell them oh that is my wife like one of my clients!). Current law is that if you do not answer the summons sent in the mail they do not have good service and you can ignore it, however, smelling lost revenue slipping away, it looks like if you get two or more they will hire a process server to come and serve you personally and you are screwed. We also have redlight running cameras (awesome idea that I support 100%) all over the Valley and I understand they can be upgraded to have photo radar so it might be more prevalent in the future.

Funniest photoradar picture I ever saw was shown on a network magazine/news show once. It was Alice Cooper driving his Mercedes with Glenn Campbell in the passenger seat. What a combination.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is simple. Go to court and plead "not Guilty". You have no idea who was driving your car. They have no proof YOU are guilty of speeding and must drop the case against you due to lack of evidence. You would be surprised how many people admit guilt by mailing in the fine. I wish they would install them here where I live and eliminate the live ticketers!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately have some of them most update digital speed camera's, the latest have strips on the road linked to the camera, it takes a picture (with no flash) of every front number plate regardless of speed then 2 miles further up the road is another camera which takes another picture averages your speed over the distance, then if your speeding automatically you get a fine/points off your license in the post. Swapping lanes doesnt make a difference and radar detectors dont detect them as the dont give out a signal. Its Ok if you know the roads where they are installed or spot the strips in the road.

We have lots of 'safety'camera's here, but groups are putting pressure on the government to remove them, most of them as they are money making machines and are not helping reduce accidents, infact some of the fixed camera's have been proven to create accidents!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is simple. Go to court and plead "not Guilty". You have no idea who was driving your car. They have no proof YOU are guilty of speeding and must drop the case against you due to lack of evidence. You would be surprised how many people admit guilt by mailing in the fine. I wish they would install them here where I live and eliminate the live ticketers!
They have a picture of you driving the car. No better evidence than that and you will lose.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a $3 dollar can of Aquanette oughta do the trick. The goal is to put a high gloss on plate to render it unreadable. This is not valid advice, just an opinion. We have a resident member of the board, I think, Biggsie, who sells a license plate blocker. Does anyone remember the posts he made about his product. Someone do a search if inclined on the words license plate and/or electronic and see what you come up with. He even had a demo video.

Jay K.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't wait to find out where one of these are so I can blow past it at 150. I'm sure the image will not be crystal clear since the wind and the G-Force accelleration will be distorting my good looks. My image will look like the Great Adventure photo image taken on the Millenium Roller Coaster. I fix those ********.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a product that is designed to make sure that your license plate doesn[t show up on camera... turns out that the "spray" is just hairspray! Put that on your license plate and the cameras will see nothing but shine when they take the pic. No joke!

JD

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are plagued by these over here. Dozens of the things.

Mobile ones they set up by the side of the road
Fixed cameras
Fixed red light cameras with radar for speed too
Distance/time averagers on the freeways

This state has about 4 million people in it, and the gov expects to make $427 MILLION from speed fines this year. They have turned it into an artform. Automated everything, laws that state that unless you can give them someone's admission they were driving the car, you get the ticket and the points. Fines for going 3kmh over the limit. That's right, 1.8mph over the limit, bang.

DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN NEAR YOU.

Meanwhile the Police minister is on tv saying "oh but it's for safety, we have cut the road toll". The toll has GONE UP - IT IS NOT RELATED! But the public here are too lazy to have themselves represented in government, and the elected officials, for some reason, seem to like to introduce this crap - like the greater earnings are theirs or something. Idiots.

All I can say is, start burning those things down like they do in England and France. Get them out now before they take hold!

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:
I've always wondered what the photo flash systems do in case of either a funeral procession or an ambulance or fire truck. It's legal to go through a red light if you're doing it to clear the way for an emergency vehicle. It'd be a shame if those people got a photo ticket because they were trying to get out of the way. We'd have a situation where people would stop moving out of the way for emergency vehicles. This is what happens when you use a machine with no sense of reason to enforce the law.

--Rob
This has happened and the person must get verification of emergency.This took place right after they came out.This topic and event was on 98 rock FM radio way back when they started enforcing these.By the way my sales rep got nailed by one in company car.He tried saying the truck was in the shop that day .And it must of been someone else who was working on his truck.But the picture was perfect of him @tag.And yes he had to pay fine and pts