Sneaky Pete 3'rd brake lite now illegal in NC?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my GTS inspected today, the inspector said that due to a new law in North Carolina regarding anything covering the lite emmisions on the 3'rd brake lite, he is supposed to fail my Viper because it has the Sneaky Pete emblem in it. I told him that is how it comes from the factory and he said they were informed to fail ANY vehicle, even if it's a factory item. He also said the 2010 Dodge trucks are having a similar issue. I haven't seen their 3'rd brake lite to know what may be in that. Ram horns? Good news is he passed it, but I can't believe Vipers would not be exempt from this new law. I tried looking it up myself, but the DMV site may as well be written in Russian, it's that difficult to sort through.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a similar problem many years ago in New Jersey. At 18 I bought a new corvette with side pipes. New Jersey would not approve it since at that time the exhaust must exit past the rear wheels. I had to purchase an entire exhaust just to pass state inspection then take it all off. Had the same arguement with Jersey, telling them it was factory. in the end it was easier to change the exhaust.
And people want these clowns to handle our health care!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask him to provide you with the name of his supervisor and politely start going up the food chain on the issue. Preserve the record by making memos of your conversations. Also, it seems to me that the sneaky Pete emblem makes the light more noticeable not less noticeable.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a similar story from a fellow here in Europe...remove the sticker on your brake light!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper