So close to a 10 second pass last night :(

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 09 VOI to the track and even with the really hot and bad air correct altitude of 3620 still managed a 11.0@130Mph with a 1.8 60ft just can't seem to get the car to 60ft better then that any suggestions?

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like you are not letting go of your clutch..... The motor has
No bog at all... Seems like you or the clutch is slipping too much ..
Lower your stage rpm and try to get the clutch out faster!
Just a thought.....

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you are not letting go of your clutch..... The motor has
No bog at all... Seems like you or the clutch is slipping too much ..
Lower your stage rpm and try to get the clutch out faster!
Just a thought.....

Ill try that I tried to release the clutch fast since im on 3.55's I'll try to lower the Rpm I was on Nitto Dr's and still could only cut a 1.79 60ft I think if I can get the 60ft down to at 1.6 I should be in business !

Last edited:

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have to slip the clutch more with a 3:08 than a 3:55.....
Relax and enjoy!!! It is so nice to see vipers at the track. :)
You are working very ******* your car, it will pay off soon for sure!

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet. I have nitto drs also. I want to go to the track and see what mine will do.

Btw. What tire pressures were you running.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think lower pressures would help? Also this might sound weird. But 2nd gear burnouts? Get the tires hotter. When I was drag racing my 800 hp Honda it hooked way better with 3rd gear burnouts instead of 2nd. 3rd was geared to do 120ish of I remember right.

Just a suggestion. There will be differences between dr and full Slicks. But it might give you enough to break that last tenth.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill try to get the clutch out and hopefully not such a hot day and better air don't see why a 10.6-8 isn't possible with the right conditions and good launch. Whats everybodies best 60ft's on Nitto DR's?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're pulling 10 second 60' times. Try shifting faster and run the rpm's right up to redline.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure the red light is on every shift and my shifts didn't seem to slow to me???

I honestly thought the shifts seemed fine.

This is what I would do if it were my car:

1) play with tire pressures. I never 1/4 mile raced with DRs but a lot of people that I talked to ran really low pressures, in the mid teens to 20 psi range (not sure if that is ideal on a viper)

2) "faster" burn out. So possibly do 2nd gear burn outs to get the tires hotter and stickier.

I am no expert on drag racing a viper. I have yet to take mine to the track as our local track closed but I'm interested to see if that would help you get your 10 second pass.

3) You can always take weight out of the car. Make sure all the loose stuff is not in the car. Go extreme and pull the passenger seat :)

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to take out the passenger seat when my boy car seat was there as he rode to the track with me :) I corrected the time for sea level and came up with 10.67@135 so I think better air and a better 60ft and I'm there

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're pulling 10 second 60' times. Try shifting faster and run the rpm's right up to redline.
My understanding of redline in most cars is you are past the max HP and torque curves and just waisting time and effort? At least for road racing I set my shift light as close to the max HP and torque as possible.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to take out the passenger seat when my boy car seat was there as he rode to the track with me :) I corrected the time for sea level and came up with 10.67@135 so I think better air and a better 60ft and I'm there

Nothing against corrections. But I don't live on corrections. To me it either ran out or it didn't. I understand how they work but when world records are set. .. They don't use correction factors. Just my opinion :)

Oh ya on the boy car seat. I was amazed to see the passenger seat had factory baby seat anchors and tethers

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the OP, those are great runs. The lower '60 foot will come by with better throttle/clutch modulations. For me, I was doing 5,000 rpm clutch slips in order to get low 1.7 60' ft. Its tougher on our 3.07s, but its doable at the expense of a smoking clutch :drive:

My understanding of redline in most cars is you are past the max HP and torque curves and just waisting time and effort? .

Your statement is true only in very small cases where power/torque drop off are significant. Any college mechanical engineering sophomore can solve this torque gearing example. I won't get into the math here, but send me a PM and I can send you some calculations.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want to shift at max power you want to shift so your rpm drops back to your max power range

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run low 20's as far as tire pressure goes. If the car isn't bogging, slip the clutch faster, and if it starts to bog, raise your launch RPM. I've gone 1.75 60' on my 10 second pass, on street tires, and I launched at almost 5k rpm with my stock car. I also did 2nd gear burn outs. You are almost there, keep it up!!

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say street tires, are you talking about drag radials or a "REAL" true radial like a pilot or other

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you not spin at 5000rpm launch, even on drag radials above 3000r equaled spin for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prosperitymirra