• The hood with six distinct vents as shown on the blue SRT model

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • The hood with the single pair of vents as shown on the dark red GTS model

Votes: 41 32.5%

• Total voters

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm of the same thought as Ralph is about the whole car ... function over form. The GTS hood looks good in person, deep, curvey, high cowl look. But he talked about the significantly better cooling from the SRT hood in a way he talks about every duct, curve, line of the car, passionately driven by the function. Cooler = better, especially on our V10's.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once again, its a lot of cool pieces individually, that don't seem to fit together as a whole. The ducted hood looks cooler by itself, but the smooth hood looks better with the current milder "European touring" style front end. If we could get the front end more aggressive to match the ducted hood, it would all come together.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the Gts hood in person and it's too tame!! The SRT hood all the way!! Only thing left is to change that hideous grill and the car will be perfect!

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, its a lot of cool pieces individually, that don't seem to fit together as a whole. The ducted hood looks cooler by itself, but the smooth hood looks better with the current milder "European touring" style front end. If we could get the front end more aggressive to match the ducted hood, it would all come together.

I have to agree....

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish they would do something different on the SRT hood because it looks way to much like the GEN IV hood. I like the SRT hood they had on the New York Autoshow slide show better.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is awesome that SRT is actually polling our opinion on the actual look of the Gen V hoods indirectly. They really want to get it right. I voted the SRT hood because it is more aggressive looking than the GTS hood. A few have mentioned that they wanted the GTS hood to be deeper like on the Ford GT but they forget the Ford is a mid engine car that has empty space in the front end unlike the Viper with a huge V10 in the front. I am sure that people intending to buy the Viper want it to look as close as possible to the GTS-R. However, the GTS-R can get away with the GTS hood with only 2 vents because it also has a splitter and a wing. Without the splitter and wing, the Viper needs the more aggressive looking SRT hood.

An analogy can be mede to how the smooth hood of the Gen I still works because the Gen I has very pronounced sidepipes to look aggressive. The Gen II needed a more aggressive hood with a NACA air inlet and vents to compensate for the lack of side pipes.

Now when the ACR version comes out, have it be as close as possoble to the GTS-R as possible, including the hood.:drive:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is awesome that SRT is actually polling our opinion on the actual look of the Gen V hoods indirectly. They really want to get it right.
Since they are making both the hoods, I don't think it has anything to do with "getting it right". It has everything to do with how many to plan on making of a big, expensive part and avoiding production bottlenecks at start up. Small sample, but it's an indication. All IMHO, of course!

Bill

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few have mentioned that they wanted the GTS hood to be deeper like on the Ford GT but they forget the Ford is a mid engine car that has empty space in the front end unlike the Viper with a huge V10 in the front.

I'm rather certain that no one forgot that the viper and the ford GT have engines in different places. In my post, I also noted that the race car seemed to have deeper vents and thought that it would help the look of the GTS. I don't know how much is different under the hood in those areas between the race car and the road car, but it certainly seems like it is something that could have been implemented on the road car design considering it works for the race car. The vipers have always had a front midship engine layout which means that the engine isn't sitting over the front axel which is well behind where the vents appear to be.

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm rather certain that no one forgot that the viper and the ford GT have engines in different places. In my post, I also noted that the race car seemed to have deeper vents and thought that it would help the look of the GTS. I don't know how much is different under the hood in those areas between the race car and the road car, but it certainly seems like it is something that could have been implemented on the road car design considering it works for the race car. The vipers have always had a front midship engine layout which means that the engine isn't sitting over the front axel which is well behind where the vents appear to be.

I think you are just seeing an optical illusion with the dark stripe down in the valley of the hood on the race car.

Also, we all know that a majority of the "smooth" hoods on the Gen 3 got replaced by the more aggressive Gen 4. Hell, even the Gen 1 hoods got beefed up with vents and looked better, it is a no brainer. Why they would go back and repeat history a 3rd time is beyond my understanding. :crazy2:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my take on the hood poll: why was the SRT hood not used for the GTS-R? In racing you need all the extra cooling you can get :dunno:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the srt hood in person on an actual car? I have seen the gts hood on the gen V and to me, looks more agressive, functional and better style than the gen4 vents that look to be trying to hard. I have no idea how the gen 4 vents will look on this hood in person, but I "think" they will actually detract from the best part of the gts hood which is the smooth flowing middle section and the side valley's that blend with the bulges on the roof.

Additionally, when buying a new one, I really don't want to have vents that remind me of the prior gen.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As nice as the SRT hood looks ...it belongs on the Gen 4. So the GTS hood would definitely be my choice as well.

New car design needs a new hood design.

Just like it needs some new wheel designs. Not saying I am sold on the wheels I have seen but I certainly don't think they should carry over any previous Gen wheels for the V.

Matt

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have went with rear exit exhaust, side exit exhaust is soooooo last gen. :rolleyes:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the srt hood in person on an actual car? I have seen the gts hood on the gen V and to me, looks more agressive, functional and better style than the gen4 vents that look to be trying to hard. I have no idea how the gen 4 vents will look on this hood in person, but I "think" they will actually detract from the best part of the gts hood which is the smooth flowing middle section and the side valley's that blend with the bulges on the roof.

Additionally, when buying a new one, I really don't want to have vents that remind me of the prior gen.

Definitely agree...GTS style. :2tu:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a question, if the SRT 6 hoel design is much better at cooling, then why is the GTS style on the GTS-R race car? I'd think they'd go with a modified SRT version for the added cooling???

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zentenk........on the GTSR, there are dark stripes with red edges and most likely will be the stripes we will see on the production GTS. Also if you know the Viper history, the Generation 2 cars had rear exhaust and Dodge went back to the side exhaust in 2003 with the advent of the Generation 3 car.:nono:

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the Gts hood in person and it's too tame!! The SRT hood all the way!! Only thing left is to change that hideous grill and the car will be perfect!
+1 I have a problem with the Grille. No Grille would probably be better like they did on the 2013 GT500. I wonder what it would look like with the standard Dodge Crosshair Grille.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62