So, you want a VOI 11 right?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the raffle is over, could we have a separate forum set up with specific themes for location, activities, time of year, and the like?

Best make several different topics where everyone can discuss the matters at hand, right now it is all piled on top of each other in this topic which gets everyone lost on overseeing what needs to be overseen.

Does anybody have a membership distribution map that is current? Then we could put the numbers on Dave's map!

Briliant idea sir!

Lastly- I went to Nashville without my car. Since Dodge will no longer be providing support there will be no company cars to drive. I won't go to another VOI without my car, I simply won't go if it's too far. Make it central so all have equal chance to drive.

Very valid point here people.. we will have to get creative on filling in some of the activities that we are gonna have to miss this time around.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have a membership distribution map that is current?

I'm sure that will show there is a concentration in the east, a sprinkling through the middle, and a small concentration in California.

Do we know how many people have opted out this year? We had almost 3000 members last year at year end, and I'll bet we don't have half that number of members now. (Hey Marv- what numbers do we have?)

I seriously doubt it. Most members of my region have renewed, a few haven't, but then there are a few new ones, so it's probably +/- 10%.

Lastly- I went to Nashville without my car. Since Dodge will no longer be providing support there will be no company cars to drive. I won't go to another VOI without my car, I simply won't go if it's too far. Make it central so all have equal chance to drive.

That's part of the point I've brought it with it needing to be reasonably accessible to the east, with the greatest concentration of Viper owners, to enable them to drive their cars to the first VCA-run VOI event. It's unforunate but it's reality. Texas would be as far west as it could be pushed and still work.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...
Here is a copy of how many Vipers were in each state in 2007.
Vipers_by_State.jpg

Yes there are more in the East but also please not that there are over 2800 Vipers just in California. Many of the other western states show great numbers as well.

Once again I think you are incorrect in your logic. This would sell out in the West even with low participation form the East.
That being said I still don't believe that even if it was all the way on the West coast that the ********* members from the East wouldn't make it out.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan's been doing a great job with the Roundup in Austin and Austin is also a great city that has no VOI history (just Dallas).

Great.

Austin it is!

Brring Brring Brring!

Hello? Ryan here!

Yes Ryan, this is the VCA calling. We're having VOI 11 in Austin and need your support.

Um, do I have to cook the BBQ for everyone? My grill is kinda small.

Ryan... We need to be sensitive to all of our members. Can you grill tofu and mix a martini?

I think my dog can do that. We eat meat and drink beer here. Don't worry, I'll have Dave help out. He can fabricate the equipment we need.

Fine then. Just have some chicken for the ladies. And make sure he doesn't put white vents on that grill! :lmao:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, ok...
I'll go to Texas, but only if I can hang out in Dave's garage:smirk:

Its going to be hard to wear a cowboy hat in my GTS, looks like I will have to drive the Copperhead:sombrero:

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If VOI - XI is in Tejas we're going to need a couple of these!

You must be registered for see images attach

No catering no b/s just some good ol BBQ and beer!

We can all chip-in for 2 cows and like 500 chickens.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 of 10 VOIs have been held west of the Colorado river. One has been held east of the Appalachians (sp?). Place the locations on a map and see how close the epicenter is to the population center. Bet it is pretty close.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be time to revisit the home of (one of) the founder(s) of VCA, Maurice Liang

Monterey California.

Scheduling the week before or after speed week could allow attendees to stay over for the auctions and track events.

This was the site of the original VOI. Maybe everyone that attends can get a free hardtop instead of goodie bag. (inside joke).

They have access to Laguna Seca, and perhaps some of the best driving roads in the world.

If Detroit is the Mecca for Vipers, perhaps this is Mecca light.

In the past there were concerns about having to use more than one hotel for the event, but with the success at Detroit, where we used two main hotels, a simple bus loop kept everyone together. (except for those who made the stop at White Castles...bad driver).

Nobody doesn't like Monterey : >)

We could eat at Tarpy's in shifts.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it was VOI 2 in Monterey. And they had to give hard tops away for free to get enough participants. The club was much smaller then so that may not be directly comparable.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...
Vipers_by_State.jpg

Yes there are more in the East but also please not that there are over 2800 Vipers just in California. Many of the other western states show great numbers as well.

Once again I think you are incorrect in your logic. This would sell out in the West even with low participation form the East.
That being said I still don't believe that even if it was all the way on the West coast that the ********* members from the East wouldn't make it out.

I would still make it, but I'm more the exception than the rule. You might want to not just look at those numbers, but also look at a breakdown in the numbers of who attends from where for the past several VOIs, to get an idea of who would continue to attend.

Also, the logic still applies just fine. Sure, CA has the most, but out of the ones with 500 cars or more, California and Texas are the only ones west of the Mississippi or middle of the country, while east are New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Florida, which equal the # of cars in California and Texas combined. West has only a few other states with significant numbers, while east has many.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay...
Vipers_by_State.jpg

Just a note. It appears that owners that are active in Viper events are usually VCA members. I don't see alot of red numbers west vs. east.
I'll go wherever it is...... just a thought.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets have it in North Dakota for the same reasoning the DC is not a state. If its in a neutral state with the least members then everyone has to drive and nobody has the benefit of having the VOI in their 'backyard':rolaugh:

Just a thought

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The only way to keep everyone happy would be to get in a East/West, North/South rotation. I do like Pemberton's suggestion of having it in more of smaller, more intimate setting and his thoughts on Denver or Salt Lake City sound great!

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In these hard times the only option is indeed a central location so that as much people can attend as possible, just like it was a 100% no-brainer to head for Viper's birthplace for the symbolical number 10 VOI.
The smaller, more intimate settings can nicely fill the gap left by the disappearance of some of the manufacturer support, though I do hope that there will not be too many changes from previous VOI's. What would be great is to have a "marketplace" type of area with vendors who sell products that directly and indirectly cater to a Viper driver's various lifestyles. Instead of just parts and memorabiblia it would be ultra cool if there would be companies that show the latest, greatest and most importantly coolest in terms of tools, lifts, trailers, garage, home furniture (thinking of that couch in the shape of a Viper's rear section for instance) and whatever else us members can come up with. Something to the tune of the Snaked-in section on this forum but with a twist, where people can mix and talk about their business as there are quite many owners with an establishment of their own who I imagine would love to get together and share experiences in that regard.
Ya know... make it the VOI that everyone always wanted it to be! Make it SMASHIN' and virtually untoppable by any future VOI :headbang:!

Last edited:

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Texas has a large number of VCA members and it's pretty much equidistant between the coasts, Texas seems a very logical location.

Heel-toe driving is pretty easy in cowboy boots! :)

Texas also has a few nice tracks for a track day as part of the event -- a relatively new track, HHR, is just south of Austin and several Viper owners are members.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the most important factor in my mind is the tracks. There should be a 1/4mile drag strip, a decent road course, and a nice autocross. And all should be near enough to be able to do both at least to in the same day. Oh did I mention Las Vegas has a NHRA drag stip, a NASCAR oval, several SCCA tracks, 3 different road courses, AND another NARRA track in Parhump?????? just saying.....

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You also forgot to mention the bus ride that made JIMMY! famous! :lmao:

JIMMY!

Might be time to revisit the home of (one of) the founder(s) of VCA, Maurice Liang

Monterey California.

Scheduling the week before or after speed week could allow attendees to stay over for the auctions and track events.

This was the site of the original VOI. Maybe everyone that attends can get a free hardtop instead of goodie bag. (inside joke).

They have access to Laguna Seca, and perhaps some of the best driving roads in the world.

If Detroit is the Mecca for Vipers, perhaps this is Mecca light.

In the past there were concerns about having to use more than one hotel for the event, but with the success at Detroit, where we used two main hotels, a simple bus loop kept everyone together. (except for those who made the stop at White Castles...bad driver).

Nobody doesn't like Monterey : >)

We could eat at Tarpy's in shifts.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't hear of no bus ride yet... lemme guess there were 1 or 2 loudspeakers on the thing and you guys were driving around like Jimmy was on a presidential campaign or something?

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to knock it but...
ANYWHERE BUT TEXAS!!!!!
I cant figure out how to drive my Viper with cowboy boots on.
We take our boots off when we drive. Why don't we do this democratically and poll for where we have VOI 11. From the demographic distribution, the states with the most cars are Cafif, Texas and Fla. Thus if we move between those 3 regions won't everyone be happy since eventually a VOI will be in your very own backyard.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone give me those numbers, I'll make a pretty map out of it oh Mr P. Ronald ;)

And I do like the idea of 2 locations with the VTC on the bigscreen for a banquet etc. The expense of these types of events does not irk me, although I'd rather keep it simple. Traveling a couple thousand miles in a Viper however *****!

I travelled from central coast of BC to Detroit and back and had a blast driving my Viper! Now the guys that drove their pickups and towed trailers ... they didn't have fun. No PS3s in Viper (it's an aftermarket instal) but we do have a steering wheel, pedals and everything. Much better than a PS3. Also, Vipers only have room for 1 backseat driver so there's not usually any "Are we there yet?" comments. I gave the Nuvi 350 Nav to the wife and asked her, "Are we there yet?" instead. 6,320miles in a Viper Dave.

Did over 100mph in the central flatlands of the continent, drove the speedlimit everywhere east of Iowa and saw concentrations of Police cars parked every couple blocks along the freeway. Drove through Montana Dodgeing the Deer and drove the Rocky Mountains. Up here some of our 2 lane highways have "Slow to 15KPH" corners Dave. That's about 9mph. In my Viper I can do it at about 60mph. We have many highways that seldom get any traffic, except VCA and local people. :) :):drive:

You should all come and visit the Pacific Northwest. If you don't have passports, then you're limited to the US 'cause the US immigration won't let you back. But, Wash. and Oregon have similar scenery, just not as curvy roads.

Ted