Sort of disturbing Dealer and AC quote

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my Viper (2000 GTS, 11k miles) last fall, we had a few hot days left in the season. The local seller told me his AC wasn't cold anymore, and the dealer had quoted something that - to me - sounded a bit outrageous for "a hose" replacement around $700. The seller was nice enough to deduct that from our negotiated price, and I promptly went to the dealer, who replaced said hose for "only" $525 or so. Oddly, I felt fairly good about that given the adjustment toward "my" side.

Whatever. The air blew cold for the very few times I used it.

This spring, it got hot and sadly, so did the AC. I think, "Same hose, didn't hold the pressure" and went to the dealer who agreed it "might" be the same, he'd check.

No such luck.

Said it was another hose, PLUS my condenser, PLUS some O-rings. Quote? $1,790. The condenser alone was $810. I normally don't let my disgust show so readily, but I said, "Button it up, forget it, I'll come get it". They understandably charged me $85 for the honor and I took my car to an independent, WITHOUT telling him any of this story other than my air was blowing hot.

My instructions to him were if he needed ANY dealer part to order from Tator.

Calls me today. Says refrigerant poured out of the O-rings ONLY. Two of them (in and out of condenser). He replaced, rechecked (twice), all's well. Says condenser is perfect, hoses holding fine. I don't have his bill (will report later), but can only assume it to be a FRACTION of the silly $1800 quote.

A warning to those who've gotten what they think is an exorbitant quote should get a second opinion. Further, this MAY be "Dodge policy" but an unfruitful one to keep me OUT of the dealership as opposed to keeping me in. That is, my wife's new car will assuredly NOT come from this dealership, nor sadly, will any subsequent Viper work unless flat out mandatory. Even that will be with skeptical not trusting eyes.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Chuck...too bad you're too far away to bring your car to him. Good advice there! ~juli

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, glad I still have warranty.

I'm glad you do too! I'd actually shopped for an aftermarket warranty from THIS dealership but they later said this wouldn't have been covered anyway. I think I'd have been doubly irritated with that. If your warranty is factory, you're probably fine though.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Chuck...too bad you're too far away to bring your car to him. Good advice there! ~juli

Agreed and agreed. I think Chuck could triple his income if he was willing to do "one lap of America" and straighten out select Viper mis-steps in a multi-city tour. I can see it now "Der Wizard Tour 2008". I'd buy tickets today.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is truly sad that stories like that can be told.

Who do they think they're fooling?

Maybe 9 times out of 10 they get away with it, and the profit outweighs the lost customers.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first bought my 96 RT in 2001, A/C worked for about 8 months, then went bad. Took it to the nearest dealership that had a Viper tech(80 miles away). Cost to fix=$2580. They replaced everything. Good thing I had a 3 yr/36,000 miles warranty :D. If not for that, I would have let it blow hot. :(

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The compressor gets very very hot while running - I'd say touch it, but there is a real risk you would actually burn yourself, it gets that hot. It's no wonder the o-rings get hard and leak. I've replaced o-rings on the compressor only on three Dodge cars in the last year and that has been the fix everytime.

If you DIY, an o-ring assortment at the auto parts store is a few bucks. Because each time was a so-why-not-try-it deal, I didn't evacuate the system (do the math about how much air and water is in the system as a percentage vs. the amount of r-136a you put in under pressure and you'll see it's not really worth it. Besides, the system only has r-136a in it, just not under pressure. It only gets air in it if you blow in the hose! ;) ) I'll jinx myself and say that I've only always owned a Dodge and never had a hose or condensor leak.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great input and responses all. I got the verdict today on my car - the two O-rings ($6) and 2.4hours labor to check, test, vacuum, new refrigerant, re-test mean my TOTAL AC bill was $260 versus $1790 from the dealer. Air is ice-cold.

I mean this NOT as a "dealers are bad" slam because we all know many superb exceptions. But something is awry in this dealer's shop that could cause some customers to get an inflamed greed gland faster than you can say "Plaintiff's Attorney".

Since this board is more "car aware" than the typical customer, how much MORE often does this happen to those who merely say "Go ahead and do whatever you just said" because they're not familiar with a good option? And we wonder why skepticism and distrust pervades this industry.

Seen the thread on the "Lifetime Warranty" that was anything but?

Anyway, this all makes me more appreciative of the JonB's, Tators, and ABs of the world (many others on this board worthy of mention). End result, I got a little hardened in my dealings with a previously-trusted local dealer, I gained MORE trust for the independent, and "found" about $1500 of money I nearly spent which translates to FREE MODS! All is well.