Speed sensitive ticking noise from the rear end?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit a pretty rough bump in my car yesterday driving back from Tampa to Miami, I feel like the car bottomed out on the shocks, anyways not sure if this is related but today driving I noticed a speed sensitive ticking noise coming from the rear of the car. Any idea what it may be? It does go away when I apply any pressure to the brakes. I have heard the speed sensitive rubbing noise before when I pad lightly hits a the rotor with each rotation but this is more of a ticking noise. I just noticed it today but from what I have noticed, it won't do it at first but maybe like 5 min into the drive, I will try to diagnose it better tomorrow, hoping to also take the wheels off my car tomorrow and just take a quick look under there to see if I see anything. Just hoping I didn't bend an axle or mess something up in my rear end, would that be a possibility if you bottom out the suspension? I would just imagine the noise would be a lot worse if I did something major as it almost gets drowned out by the stereo when I am listening to music.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bottomed out my rear suspension a few times with no adverse affect. (not that it matters -not the same car / maybe I got lucky) I just can't believe that you listen to the stereo in this car. -then again, not the same car. (my exhaust is so loud, I can't hear the stereo) -it's a good thing my Valentine-One lights up. Also, if something gets bent, you usually end up with a vibration. -hope it's nothing major............

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Also, before you remove wheels, look to see if the parking brake cable (or possibly speed-sensor cable for ABS) could be dragging on inside of wheel (and if YES, may be hitting wheel weights mounted on inside edge of wheel rim). On some early 2003's this was a problem as the cars were delivered from the factory... as posted (with solution) by Janni Cone. On our 2003, I secured the parking brake cables out of harm's way with HEAVY cable ties...and thatv solution is still working nearly 9 years later.

Obviously, there are other causes to consider. Good luck !!

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the wheels off and did not see anything out of the ordinary. It is strange because the noise does not happen right when I start driving but approximately a couple minutes in and then it does not go away except for when I put some pressure on the brake pedal. Maybe Doug Levin can help me diagnose it when I get my car to him so he can look it over.