Speedometer does not work - need help

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hy I´m new here. I am a proud new owner of an 2002 RT10. :)
I live in Austria and have importet the snake to Europe 2 months ago.
In Europe we have other frequencies than in the U.S. and so i bought a new radio.
The radio works perfect, but now the Speedometer does not work.
The fuse Nr. 11 (Chimes/Gauges) is o.K. - thats not the reason.
But because i had to take apart the whole middle-console for adapting the sleeve,
a connector has detached and i haven`t found where it was.
When i connect the Fuse-Cavity Nr.11 with the loose conector with a connecting-tester,
i get a positive connecting signal. Must be something with the speedometer....
I add a picture of the connector.

Can anybody pleas help me ???
Thanks a lot !!

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its something to do with the stock radio being connected to the speedo, there is nothing wrong with your speedo as such, when you go faster the stock radio volume go's up

you've changed the radio its just a wire that needs sorting,
not sure which one but i know someone that does... Baz

This happened to Bazs RT when he swapped out the US radio for a european one, its a simple wiring problem

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a wire that goes from the head unit to the speedo that needs to be disconected ..
You can do it from the plug end (headunit) tiny screw driver and a gentle tug and it will pull straight out with no damage...

Cant remember what colour the cable is but i will go check for you......

OP
OP
R

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi BAZ

Thank you very much for your fast help !!!

I have cut the Radio plug end completly and conected
the new radio as followed:

GND to Radios Ground
BAT to Radios Constant 12V
ACC + AVC to Radios "switched" 12V
ANT to the "Remote" of the originaly Amplifier

The Rest of the "radio plug" cables are isolated.

What could be wrong ?

Greetings from the "Kontinent" ;-)))

Rainer

OP
OP
R

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Rocket 62

A HiFi-Guy told me that "ANT" is an +12V outlet to remot an electrical antenna
or some other equipment such as an amplifier....

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Rainer--Welcome Aboard the Viper forums!!!! Glad that BAZ and Neil could help you, they have wealth of knowledge....so you imported a Viper to your neck of the woods, how many Vipers are around where you are? Do you have good driving weather most of the year? Can you post a pic of your Viper? Again, welcome aboard!!! ~juli~

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your welcome:2tu: one question on the board or hours of frustratoin and pulling your hair out:omg:
Glad you got it all sorted:drive: Thats what the VCA is all about....

OP
OP
R

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Mike and Juli

No, there are not very much snakes in my area. Its a very rare car in Austria, even in Europe. Last week we made a short trip to Monaco / Monte Carlo.
It a very small micro-state at the mediterian sea, where a lot of very rich people live.
There you can see a ferrari every five minutes, and nobody cares about. But when we drove the Viper down the harbour, lots of people looked at the snake. An when we parked the car lots of people made photos.... It was a nice experiance.
Where i live, we have a lot of mountain-streets where driving the viper is really a big fun.
In the attachment i send a picture of my snake. There we were on an altitude of about 7.000 feet in the swiss alps.

Last edited:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Desktopbild-Viper-SanBerardino.JPG

Good looking viper and some great roads you have down there....

Done Monaco and the south of france as well and realy enjoyed it....(but not in the viper:( )

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rainer you need to hook up with the Swiss, German, French, Swedish clubs they all are pretty active and do lots of events, there are quite a few vipers in Europe now its just knowing where to look when they huddle for meets, and then making the effort to travel

one of our UK members just did France, Monaco, through italy and upto Nurbergring
a few weeks ago.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=407294

if you ever want to swap your speedo to a kmph let me know, over here we get kmph and everything is mph, we've done a few straight swaps with our euro brothers

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mike and Juli
No, there are not very much snakes in my area. Its a very rare car in Austria, even in Europe. Last week we made a short trip to Monaco / Monte Carlo.
It a very small micro-state at the mediterian sea, where a lot of very rich people live.
There you can see a ferrari every five minutes, and nobody cares about. But when we drove the Viper down the harbour, lots of people looked at the snake. An when we parked the car lots of people made photos.... It was a nice experiance.
Where i live, we have a lot of mountain-streets where driving the viper is really a big fun.
In the attachment i send a picture of my snake. There we were on an altitude of about 7.000 feet in the swiss alps.

(First test of updated AVATAR from big-n-italian~~yessss, it works, THANK YOU...I'll thank you in a different forum)....Rainer-yeah, I kinda figured a Viper would be a rare car where you are, and I'm SURE it gets more 'whiplash' looks than the Ferraris...The viper is a very exquisite BEAST, and we wished we lived in an area such as yours for driving.
Your Viper is absolutely beautiful~~congratulations and thank you for the info! :2tu: ENJOY~
~juli