Sport Cup Tires in Rain

aqwut

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am leaving to pick up my ACR tomorrow and will be driving it back on Saturday. There is less than 20% chance of rain, approximately 1mm. Is it safe to drive these tires home if it rains? It will be a 1000 Km drive home. Thanks

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive during the day if possible and don't exceed a 100 kmph. Cruise with RPms less than 3k rpm and shift no higher than 3k rpm and you will be fine. Avoid standing water, if you hit some, don't lift your foot off the throttle abruptly. Weather I'm sure is above 10C, so go slow, enjoy the ride.
I lost my first car in cold wet weather. I was reluctant for the longest time to drive in the rain. I have had no issues or even scares by following the above. But if your uncomfortable, or the weather is really wet, trailering is a cheep alternative.

OP
OP
A

aqwut

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Drew, just the answers I was searching for. It will be 22C. Even if I drive 80Km, I would be fine. I had some bids on Uship, but somewhat afraid as I have trust issues.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man... I am actually afraid of it...
Very smart attitude.
Just when you think you are comfortable with the car and everything is all good, that's when the car will bite you.
Driving the Viper is like riding an angry bull..........very, very rewarding when you survive.
..............not so much when things go wrong. :crazy2:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Those Cups are slippery in the cold or wet weather, the production Michelins are much better all around except for the track.

My 2 cents.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very smart attitude.
Just when you think you are comfortable with the car and everything is all good, that's when the car will bite you.
Driving the Viper is like riding an angry bull..........very, very rewarding when you survive.
..............not so much when things go wrong. :crazy2:

Quit acting like a pansy!!!
I'm not only 100% comfortable with the car, but also with Road Atlanta.

OP, don't listen to people telling you to be afraid. Once you've mastered the car, there's nothing to it.

Although, I did find a wall at Road Atlanta for some reason. I still din't understand how it happened, since I'm perfect with the Viper! lol

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quit acting like a pansy!!!
I'm not only 100% comfortable with the car, but also with Road Atlanta.

OP, don't listen to people telling you to be afraid. Once you've mastered the car, there's nothing to it.

Although, I did find a wall at Road Atlanta for some reason. I still din't understand how it happened, since I'm perfect with the Viper! lol
Well,.......It couldn't have been the driver or the car,.....so there must have been something wrong with that stupid wall! :lmao:

.................................:crazy2:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"aqwat", CONGRATS on your new ride !!

While I understand all of the various suggestions offered above, I would personally suggest that you exercise caution on Sport Cups in wet or active rain conditions (as noted in the 2008-2010 ACR Owners Manual).

A good friend drove 1000 miles in his 1 year old ACR during the heavy rains that flooded Nashville, TN a couple of years ago. His safe trip was due in part to storm track avoidance (cell phone updates on storm's progress via radar tracks)..as well as his wisdom in dropping his speed to 50 mph when actually encountering wet pavement. At one point, however, the storm track caught up with him in the" hilly" section of !-75 just north of the KY-TN border...at which time the ACR was nearly un-drive-able in the heavy rain and in the dark. He managed to achieve better control by staying RIGHT ON THE TAIL of a semi at about 45-50 mph, allowing the truck to "part the waters", which allowed him to adequately control the car. He felt this was the best choice over stopping on the Interstate in the dark with the torrential rains. Fortunately, he brought the beast home without a mark. And, YES, he is a very experienced Viper driver with track time under his belt.

Do not fear the trip...just plan well..including ALL the necessary options if the weather becomes a threat...including a "weather watcher" friend.

"There are bold pilots and there are old pilots...but there are no old, bold pilots".

Best of luck.

OP
OP
A

aqwut

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-Indy & Drew. The forecast called for heavy rain, so I flew there to pick her up and had her hauled back and caught a ride with the driver. I am glad I did. I arrived at home @ about 10:30 PM and I had to take it for a test drive. It was just spitting outside and the car was fine. The weather was horrible for the next few days, as it rained. I still had to drive it because I had to get safety and emissions. This tire is very dangerous in heavy rain fall, she loves to hydro-plane. We have county roads, so all the roads are not level and very bumpy. The car hydro-planes even at lower speeds, so try to avoid puddles. I tried maintaining speed on puddles, it helps, but not that much. You really have to slow way down in heavy rain fall with the sport cup tires. I am avoiding heavy rain fall..

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update...you did the right thing in my opinion...and, YES...I AM old !!! :)

Hope to see you and your Viper sometime.

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear. All I ment by maintaing speed through a puddle was not to panic and rapidly lift your foot off the throttle. If there are big puddles and your street driving with cups, your speed should match the driving conditions. I don't see the cups as a dangerous tire, but they do have limitations and the driver needs to drive according.
Congrats on your new ride.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my 2009 ACR in the rain when we did the TAIL OF THE DRAGON in 2009 and survived.....and drove back to Florida in and out of rain on the trip home.....scary but again we made it with no problems....too much fun....