Spring is here! What is your Zaino technique?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time searching over the winter for just what to buy and what is best for a car that has been waxed but has never seen Zaino. I want to use a clay bar also so I understand I need "Dawn" to wash it and a clay bar but the Zaino product line is confusing and there is conflicting information here as to what you are supposed to use. What is essential these days as I understand some products replace others?

Sorry for the post, in advance, but I'd like to get it right.

Thanks,
Santo

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been using maguiers products, and have been happy with them. they have a clay bar kit that is easy to use, shampoo, wax, between wax spray, interior spray, tire stuff and the list goes on.

They also have a very good website with alot of help.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, ya. Sorry but unless I completely missed something I'd really just like a map as of today like ...

1. Wash car with Dawn
2. use claybar with ...
3. Apply "Product A" to remove swirl marks
4. Apply "Product B" to polish
5. etc.

Unfortunately, with Zaino's stuff changing fairly regularly (for the good I assume) so a list like this is only good for the latest products at time of writing. To top it off, the product list depends on what side of the border you are on. I don't see the "Z-CS" on the Canadian site at http://www.zaino.ca.

I am confused and I would really like to start this year with Zaino,
Santo

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Plum. I used Mequire's NXT last year. I thought I'd try something new.

I'm still searching websites and the Zaino instructions are hard to follow if you have never purchased any of their products before.

Example:
If you use "Product A" you can use that instead of "Product B" but you can use "Product A" on top of "Product B" even though "Product B" is used as an initial coat with several other products that layer over top (if you can figure out the order and which ones to use) but "Product A" is a finishing product.

I just don't get it. As a newbie, what are the best and least amount of products I need to buy today and what order do I use them in? Seems like a simple question. If I had a local detailer that used Zaino, I would just get them to do it once and learn the "secret combination".

Santo

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am a bit of a "newbie" myself but this is what i got....... Z7 (Shampoo), ZPC (Swirl remover), ZFX (mix to lock in polish), Z2 Pro (polish for clear coated cars), Z6 (gloss enhancer), Z8 (spray seal).
Also got applicators for the polish.

I have put three coats of polish on and it looks great! Im going to put one more on then use the gloss spray :)

Hope that is of some help.

Jonathan

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cars have never looked better.

1. Wash car with Zaino carwash shampoo.
2. Claybar Car
3. Wash off again.
4. Apply Zaino AIO, use ZFX, wipe off.
5. Apply Z5 pro with ZFX, wipe off.
6. Apply gloss enhancer spray.
7. Apply Z2 pro with ZFX, wipe off.
8. Apply Clear-Spray
9. Apply Grand Finale Spray.

Smile as you just spent 4 hours to make your car look better than new.

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn't this topic have its own forum?

:p

Jay K.

I have asked as well and was told that they are in the process of making the forums a little bit friendlier...so guess we will have to hang tight. :D

Hopefully there will be a care car and detailing topic section.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the whole Zaino process, including the clay bar. I did Not like the clay bar and found that I saw no change whatsoever with that process. I don't know if it was because my car only had 1500 miles on it when I bought it last year or if I did something wrong. The only thing that I could think of was that this process would be better for older cars, or for cars with more miles on them.

I used the wax for the swirls including the hardener which was recommended for the first wax. The question I had was when I waxed the car again, should I use the hardener again or not.

Overall, I did like the finish that was left on the car, and didn't mind the wax, as long as I did not put it on too thick.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am a bit of a "newbie" myself but this is what i got....... Z7 (Shampoo), ZPC (Swirl remover), ZFX (mix to lock in polish), Z2 Pro (polish for clear coated cars), Z6 (gloss enhancer), Z8 (spray seal).
Also got applicators for the polish.

That sums up the problem with Zaino. $150+ in products, 12 hours labor, same result as a coat of most other high quality waxes on and off in an hour. And I have used them all. Zaino, MaGuires, Pinnacle, Menzerna, Klasse, you name it.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the whole Zaino process, including the clay bar. I did Not like the clay bar and found that I saw no change whatsoever with that process. I don't know if it was because my car only had 1500 miles on it when I bought it last year or if I did something wrong. The only thing that I could think of was that this process would be better for older cars, or for cars with more miles on them.

I used the wax for the swirls including the hardener which was recommended for the first wax. The question I had was when I waxed the car again, should I use the hardener again or not.

Overall, I did like the finish that was left on the car, and didn't mind the wax, as long as I did not put it on too thick.

I have to agree. I was using Mequiars long before Zaino was around, and realy like their products.. I especially like the fact that when I run out, it's as simple as going over to the local Advance auto parts, to pick up some more.

The corvette guys love zaino :rolleyes:

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Zaino gives a longer lasting shine than any other product. All you need is a good quality car wash and Z2pro- unless you have a lot of swirl marks. The first few times I used it with the ZFX flash cure accelerator- but if you wait 15 to 20 minutes before removing the z2pro I don't think you need to use the ZFX. Then you can finish it with the Z-6 gloss enhancer spray. If your car doesn't get too dirty when can just wipe it down with the Z-6 spray.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone will give you their opinions, and this topic has been discussed OVER and OVER and OVER. As far as "which" product goes, everyone has their own opinion. Personally I use Adams Polishes and waxes. I do feel the final result is the best personally, but the main reason I have to say is solely based on the EASE of use the product offers. I can wax my viper with adams butter wax on and off in literally 20-30 minutes. Even if you get it on plastic parts or windows or anything not intended for wax, it comes RIGHT off, and you can wax in direct sunlight and leave it there with no negative side effects. No other wax goes on and off easier. It makes me detail my car more often, rather than spending an entire day going through all the steps, with complicated other systems. I prefer to drive the car rather then spend all day detailing.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my polishing ritual down to 45 minutes including wash. Even though I don't use their wax and polish line, I notice the Zaino Gloss Spray works
very effectively.

"Longest Signature in the VCA"
---------------------
70 Charger R/T 440
99 Viper R/T 10 Intake, Exhaust
01 Sears Lawn Tractor 300 HP, Belanger Headers, Eradispeed Rotors
04 K-Mart Barbecue 30,000 BTU with High Flo Metallic Cats
06 Frigidare Air Conditioner 250,000 CFM, Cold Air Induction Mods
04 Amana Refridgerator Sub Zero, Nitrogen 250 Shot
03 Toro Weedwacker,175 Rotor Horsepower,12:1 Compression,Sodium Filled Single
Valve

05 Stihl Leaf Blower 280Hp, Forged Internals, Single Turbo Intercooler,
7,000 CFM on only 9lbs. of Boost

04 Husqvarna Chain Saw, Dyno'ed 400hp/420tq at the tree, titanium blade,
Sapphire/Ruby cover over Gold cognac handle, Runs only on Cam2 100 octane

06 Crappy Seaside Condo: Has Cracks and Holes in Sheetrock, Hardwood Floor
with splinters(I had to pay more for those), Roof with holes, Leaky Faucet,
and a POS ceiling fan that crashed down on my head when I was sleeping,
condo sold to me by some character named Tiger Keith, made me think I
was getting a bargain at the auction. If I ever come across this guy I am
going to beat him with what's left of the POS ceiling fan. Let me
know if any of you see him.

"New Edition"
07 Rascal, 20000 AMP Motor, Live Axle, Wheelie Bars, Skinnies in the front, High Torque distributor capacitor, Carbon Fiber Battery Cover, 2 stage automatic transmission, Diamond Cut 4:55 Gears, Dynoed 1900 HP @ the adult home walkup ramp. Launches Hard. Old folk drool when they see this thing.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their advise. I sorta knew this thread would bring some "use this wax instead" answers but this year is Zaino year for me and I just wanted to try it out and see how it held up.

As far as "which" product goes, everyone has their own opinion.
I guess that's my point. Why does everyone have their own opinion as to which of the Zaino product goes in what order? Shouldn't there be a step-by-step guide somewhere that just tells you what to use like Wash -> claybar -> swirl remover -> polish -> wax?

I prefer to drive the car rather then spend all day detailing.
Mine is my daily driver starting next week, probably (if not tomorrow) so I don't mind spending a little more time up front to make her look her best. I hear ya about driving it. I'm chomping at the bit ;)

As for the final list for the "first timer" this is inspired by MAVPR and Buckeye's list and reading more in depth at the Zaino site:

1. Wash with Dawn to remove old wax (I don't like using the Car Wash soap because it's not supposed to remove wax, I thought?).
2. Clay bar car with Z18 Claybar and Z7 Car Wash soap or Z6 Gloss Enhancer
3a. Apply Z5 Pro with ZFX a couple of times to see if it removes swirls
3b. If swirls are still present, Apply Z-PC to remove swirls
4. Apply Z5 Pro with ZFX
5. Apply Z6 Gloss Enhancer
6. Apply Z2 Pro with ZFX
7. Apply Z6 Gloss Enhancer (if you want, you can do steps 4-7 again and again)
8. Apply Z-CS Clear Sealer
9. Apply Z-8 Grande Finale Spray

If re-applying, I think you do steps 4-9. All's I know is that it BETTER look damn good after that! I think our cars are worth every damn minute of buffing, every grunt and most torn muscles that will result from this ... ;-)

Now my only problem is that I can't get Z-CS in Canada (or it's not on the Canadian site, at least).

I think this is right. Thanks again,
Santo

P.S. Isn't there less steps in "AA"? If I start on the beers when I get started on the car, I may actually need them ;)

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
best thing to do is find a good wax. DONT use zaino.

I agree with above, lots of great waxes out there for FAR LESS MONEY, AVAILABLE
and DOES AS WELL IF NOT BETTER.

I WOULD NEVER EVER USE A CLAY BAR ON MY VIPER :nono: DO SOME RESEARCH ON THIS.

THE STEPS ZAINO WANTS YOU TO USE IS A JOKE AND IF ITS SO GREAT WHY ARE THEY
CONSTANTLY CHANGING IT. :confused:

good luck if you use zaino but WOW what a waste of time. :D

tom

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it depends on the type of claybar you use. Example, Meguiars has a "smooth surface quick clay kit" that is GREAT. AS long as the surface has been washed and you use plenty of quick detailer as lubricant. the clay bar WILL NOT scratch or swirl your paint. I used it recently on my black silverado and the results were amazing.

Also, I would NEVER wash a car with dawn. Over time it eats away at the window sills. Buy a dedicated car wash detergent.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clay bar: I use the Mother's claybar kit. They don't work you say....prove it:

Before:

You must be registered for see images

After:

You must be registered for see images

These pictures were taken after washing and drying the car thoroughly. The key to any good claybar is FREQUENT kneading, plenty of lubricant, and STRAIGHT LINES ONLY.

I'll just say that I use Zaino and love it...Z2 on paint in good condition is all you need. I will say that I prefer the Z6 over the Z8, but given my choice, I'll use Meguiars quick-detailer. Works as well as the Zaino spray detailers and is a heck of a lot easier to get off.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here's my take on it for what it's worth. First of all, let me start by saying that I worked for PPG Industries, Coating and Resins Division (Automotive) for 16 years. I have a little knowledge of automotive finishes, but I'm certainly no expert in detailing or detailing products.

Clay bars work and will not damage any decent finish as long as they are used properly. The surface should be clean before beginning, plenty of lubrication should be used, and the bar should be replaced as soon as it becomes contaminated to the point that it will scratch the surface. The only other choice for removing contamination that is left behind after washing is polishes and compounds applied with a mechanical buffer. This is far more damaging to the surface than a clay bar as it usually removes some of the paint surface.

As far as polishes and waxes are concerned, most of the waxes available today will do a perfectly acceptable job of protecting the finish and producing a "shine" on the surface. The major difference tends to be duration, clarity, and ease of application. As far as duration goes, there are many factors that can affect this. Application process, the care of the surface following application, ambient conditions, exposure to sunlight and other environmental factors, and the amount of product applied to the surface.

Again, most chemically complex waxes will do a fine job, avoid pure waxes such as carnuba. That stuff was great in the days of laquer and even single stage acrylic enamel, but on modern multi-stage, clear-coated urethane finishes, it will do nothing. Also, Teflon is not an effective component. In order for Teflon to be effective, it needs to be heated to high temperatures, either chemically or mechanically.

At one time several years ago, we tested several dozen waxes from major manufacturers and some smaller companies as well. They were tested for clarity, reflection, duration, surface tension, and ease of use (somewhat subjective but based on dry time and mechanical effort necessary for application. We never released the results because the company did not want to disassociate any of the product manufacturers that might be involved with current or future customers. But I will tell you that the results of all test except the subjective one were too close to call.

As far as personal experience, I've used Meguiar's products with great success for many years. I use the new NXT on my Hummer, my boat, and my work car. It really looks good and seems to hold up well, expecially on my boat. When I bought the Viper, I bought a bunch of Zaino products and tried them all. I like the fact that the wax leaves no residue on rubber and plastic adjoining surfaces, and the glass polish is the best thing I've ever tried. Good leather stuff too. The shine is nice, but I don't think it's any better than NXT or any other good product out there. There do seem to be a couple extra steps involved, but it does apply much easier than most waxes that I've tried. We'll see how it holds up.

Bottom line, use what you like best as long as you use something. Waxes are critical to keeping the finish on your car looking good and keeping it protected.

Hope that helps.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree about the pure Carnuba waxes, I have used Pinnacle many times and it gives a very deep liquid shine, more so than most synthetics. The downside is it does not last long at all. But the application and removal ease makes it a 45 minute job, so if you have to do it once a month no biggie. If you are a twice a year wax guy, it's not for you.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with carnuba waxes is not just the fact that they do not last as long, it's the fact that offer such minimal protection. Waxes should not only provide a good shine, but also protect the paint from minor scratching and scuffing, but mostly from the elements we expose our cars to. Pollution, acid rain, tree sap, road grime and tar, gasoline, oil, etc. will all easily ********* carnuba wax. Carnuba does leave a good shine, but so does Armor All, but I wouldn't coat my car with it. However, that said, if you're happy with using it...continue. As I said before, any wax is better than nothing. It's a debate that will go on forever, or at least until somebody PROVES that one is better than the rest, just look at how many times this topic has been discussed.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deep cleaning of car, removing all old polishes and dirt -this can involve anything from using Dawn to a clay bar, or both

I've used everything from Zaino to Meguires to Adams

I personally like Adams products, simple to use and it wipes off very easily

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a detailed list from a guy that uses Zaino and has zero swirl marks in his car...I was going to try it and copied it down, but it took me three days to read the list, so I never got to try the actual process....I fell asleep getting everything ready.

"ITEMS YOU WILL NEED:
Porter Cable # 7424 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search...5370078-9890562

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze # 05996 Napa Auto Stores

3M Perfect it Rubbing Compound # 39002 Napa Auto Stores

Micro Fiber Towels http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=88

6" Porter Cable Velcro Pad holder

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcabvelpad.html

6" Velcro Foam Polishing Pads: http://www.buffandshine.com/index.html Call the factory and tell them you need 6" Yellow, Black, and White Velcro Pads. I no longer see them at Top of the Line Co. This is where I got mine. http://www.topoftheline.com/polisherpads.html Or just call top of the line too. Tell them the pads you want are 6" x 2 " wide. (thick) Velcro.

Yellow....More Abrasive for deeper swirls/scratches
Black...Less Abrasive for minor swirls/scratches
White...Buffing Pad For Finishing

Some tips and facts :

The Viper has 3 thick coats of clear coat on it. As do the rims.
You CANNOT burn thru the paint or clearcoat, you can stand on the PC, and there will be no damage at all.
Stay away from sharp edges or corners, there is less paint in these areas, be gentle on these areas.
Do NOT use the PC and 3M products in the SUN.
Only do the areas with swirls, no need to do the complete car.
Do not rub the PC against the black plastic door button areas.
DO NOT use the wool pads or any others that come in the PC Box.
You can also use the 3M products on your rims. But use a small Micro-fiber towel instead of the PC.
You cannot believe everything you read on the VCA or Internet. I have learned to trust only knowledgeable sources.

Ok now for the Process!

Wash Viper with dawn detergent and use claybar. After drying Viper , take car outside in the sun and look over real well for all swirls and make a note or sketch of the areas of swirls.

Use Porter Cable with 6" Yellow pad on Swirls and scratches. Use a quarter size dab of 3M 39002 on pad, place pad and PC on swirl and set for 5-6K rpms. Work 1/2 pad pressure at all times. If the pad is 2 " wide ..compress it against Viper 1/2 way. Move Buffer "slow" back and forth. Remove after 15-30 seconds. and wipe area with a Micro-fiber towel and inspect swirl area. If you create any HAZE..don't worry, Just apply more 39002 and go at it again , BUT move the buffer "faster", back and forth.

When swirls are all removed from your Viper, you can use the Black pad and the 3M Glaze 05996. The Glaze is a wonderfull product. It is actually a milder abrasive containing micro-scopic glass beads that crush down. Use 5-6 K rpms, BUT go faster back and forth. Buff to a high gloss. Aply the same amount on the pad, about a dime to quarter size to work a 2ft. x 2 ft. area. then wipe with the micro fiber towels. You will like the results.Now take car out in the sun and inspect it. If happy then you can apply wax.

NOW WAX ON!!!

Go get your Zaino Z-2 and ZFX and go to it! Use Micro-fiber towels to buff Zaino off.

Then take your PC and the white pad and use it at 3K rpms..and buff that awesome finish out!!!! NO PRESSURE ON THE WHITE PAD! You are finishing.

Then use the spray! Z-8, or Pinnacle Crystal Mist!
You will be impressed with the results!

The first times you get the swirls out you will start laughing and say to yourself..this is cool! It is Easy!!! I myself have never had a buffer in my hand untill I had the Viper. It is really easy and once you get the hang of it...you will look forward to doing it on a regular basis.

As far as the deeper scratches and stone chips use the Langka. I have never used it, but I hear it is simple and effective to use. And one of my best detailing guru buddies says it is the best out there.

Remember :

SLOW moving buffer at high rpms 5-6 K removes SWIRLS
FAST moving bufferat high rpms 5-6 K removes HAZE
MEDIUM moving buffer at 3K rpms makes your wax job SHINE

Good Luck and don't be at all afraid of hurting your Viper. It is fun.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input.

I had planned to do my detailing this weekend but the weather really sucked so I had to stop after I completed claying the hood only (it started to rain). I decided that after some excellent feedback here, I would just use up what I had for this year so I simply bought a Mother Claybar kit, some Meguiar's Scratch X and I am set to go. I have a Porter Cable 7224 which should help but I have not used it yet. I think now is the time.

So my plans are as follows (using the PC 7224):

1. Mothers Clay Bar
2. Meguiars Scratch X
3. Meguiars No 7 Show Car Glaze
4. Meguiars NXT Tech Wax Paste wax
5. Meguiars Gold Class Liquid wax

Meguiars website and forums are amazing for someone who doesn't keep up with products like me and all of my questions have already been asked. It's amazing customer service and that made the difference to me. We'll see how it turns out if the weather will co-operate.

Santo

P.S. Is it just me or is the Mother's Clay bar made of the same stuff that Silly Putty is made out of? Has anyone checked to see if it bounces?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino is the only way to go. It is a hobby of mine trying different products and I have not found anything that gives you both durability and great looks like Zaino. They also just release two new products that are awesome, Z-AIO and Clear Seal which is a spray/wipe on and walk away product. Check out www.detailersclub.com for some great info.