Squeaky Door Hinges

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know if this is a common issue or not but both door hinges have a creaking sound or squeak when closed from the full open position. I have sprayed with WD-40 but it has provided only temporary help. Anyone know of a longer term fix.

Thanks,
Ron

Dale Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I had the exact same problem. I used a product called Tri-Flow. Seems to last longer than WD40. I use every three months and the problem seems to have gone away.
Dale

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
My drivers side door of my 2000 Gts just started doing the very same thing, it only started just last week. It is not just a little squeak, it's a real "wicked" sounding squeak! It too, is happening when closing it from the full open position. I'll have to give the product that Dale mentioned a try, because it is rather annoying, it sounds like some old clinker car!
Laura
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had very good luck using a precision pin oiler full of light machine oil. The viscosity of the oil is between penetrating oil and 3-in-1. You can touch the needle to any point on the hinge and squeeze ever-so-gently. The oil will flow all around by capillary action, then gravity will move the lubricant down the hinge pin and disperse it evenly over the coming weeks. It also works well on the pivots of the hood hinge assembly and latches about every 18-24 months.

I get 3 or 4 of these things every year at trade shows from lubricant wholesalers. I think you can probably find it at a good hardware store like Ace or True Value.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the best way is to remove the panel immediately in front of the door. 4 screws hold it in place (be sure to save the shims under the screws). Then you can easily see and access the hinge and detent mechanism. I have found it is the latter that tends to make the most noise and I put some heavy grease directly on it and you'll be as good as new.

Keith

vipergtsr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron
It's not the hinge pin that's noisey it's the door check. The check is what holds your door open, you'll need to lube it. Open the door and look down at the hinge with a flashlight, then get some white lithium grease or some front end lube and a long brush and lube the flat piece of metal which is your check. you'll see that it is rusty, but once you lube it it should be ok for awhile.
John