SRT-10 DRIVING IMPRESSIONS (pic too!)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post (both VOI and SRT related).

Well, I just came in from doing four "hot laps" at the autocross with a new silver SRT. Our favorite Bill Pemberton suggested I would enjoy it and gave me his earlier slot. Even though we all know it, I will still say it again: Bill Pemberton is simply one of the best guys in the whole Viper nation, and he sells Vipers too!

Okay, quick impression before I head out to the track one last time: <FONT COLOR="blue"><FONT size="5">INCREDIBLE!!!!</FONT s></FONT c>

The car is absolutely fantastic. And let this be said right up front: While the styling just is not that stunning (I will take my GTS over it any day in that one department), the performance AND functionality will simply BLOW IT AWAY. For you heel-and-toe guys, the pedals are PERFECT. Placed in the middle this time (and can be adjusted electronically), they are aluminum with raised cutouts for better grip. The power was noticably stronger, especially playing largely in second gear. Very responsive - tap the gas pedal and it will launch smoothly and easily. Nail it and it will launch like the space shuittle. The car handles beautifully and tracks much better than the other cars. Pretty easily corrected if you do happen to break loose. For those that like to play with the parking brake on the autocross (or that like Starsky and Hutch), it has it's own caliper on the rear brake disk and does an admirable job. Oh yeah, and the brakes? YOU WILL BE BLOWN AWAY. This car stops HARD, straight, and with no noticable fade after a brake-happy guy like me nails 'em (yeah, not really enough time to see fade anyway). In the autocross you can absolutely nail the throttle and then late brake into a hard corner. The car is on rails and goes where you want it to. FAR more predictable than either the Gen I or II.

So, to paraphrase the mighty Chuck with Two Vipers: If you are a poser (and there is nothing wrong with that, as I may be one to some degree), keep your GTS or RT/10. If you want to DRIVE your car any place outside of a car show, the new SRT-10 is the car you will want, even after a short drive. Was I alone in this opinion? Nope. Every single person that came out of those cars after the drive (an easy 30+) could not believe how vastly different and improved this car is over what they are driving today. These were not automotive journalists or DC spin doctors, these were Gen I & II Viper owners just like you and me. ALL of them, without exception, were blown away by this car.

You must be registered for see images

Now I have no doubt that somebody will come away and say "Eh, it was so-so". It may not be the "exotic" that the current Vipers represent, but when you get this car moving, you will forget that fact within a few seconds - and never look back. Now if I can just figure out how to be able to afford the black one I have on order...
supergrin.gif

Chris

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris;

Great pic, great report!

I sold my RT-10 because I just knew the SRT was going to be a far better driving experience all around; in fact, I really lost interest in my RT after reading about all the serious improvements. It isn't that I didn't like my RT (I loved both I have owned) it is that the new Viper would DRIVE better, perform better, and a top that works quickly when I need it.

Those folks who moaned constantly about the looks were forgetting that the appearance changes (more aggressive) were going to affect the performance! When the performance stats Dodge predicted weren't met (apparently) at VOI, I have to question what penalties were paid for the visual enhancement? If the performance of the SRT is suffering, I say the moaners got what they asked for.

I'm with you Chris. Driving the beast is what I look forward to; thanks to your report I am even more stoked about the SRT.

Thanks,
Jim

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Those folks who moaned constantly about the looks were forgetting that the appearance changes (more aggressive) were going to affect the performance! When the performance stats Dodge predicted weren't met (apparently) at VOI, I have to question what penalties were paid for the visual enhancement? If the performance of the SRT is suffering, I say the moaners got what they asked for.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

You're talking about 1/4 mile ET? I guarantee you, even if the styling tweaks increased the drag coefficient of the car slightly, that would make no difference in 1/4 mile ET. The effect due to the much larger difference in Cd between the Gen II RT/10 and GTS is something like a few hundredths of a second ET.

The difference in Cd (if there is any due to styling tweaks) may affect top speed by a few MPH, but who cares?

--Mike

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike and Mike;

Please let me clarify about the limited performance reports posted about the SRT at the drags. I was getting the impression that folks were hoping for/expecting sub 12sec 1/4 mile runs. Needless to say, 12sec sounds pretty nice, but 11's were not in the picture that day for the SRT; is that correct?

I was theorising that perhaps the design enhancements had hindered the SRT on the track because of possible aerodynamic changes. I am no expert on any of this, and I am glad to read venom lover's post that body changes would have no effect on 1/4 mile times.

I am very excited about my SRT (Silver) and can't wait until it arrives. I wish there had been more reports on the new beast; I am obviously not alone because others have been begging for info too.

That said, how did you like the SRT in person? How was the sound, body changes? Is the SRT Silver the same as on 98'etc? I am really looking forward to the info.

I apologise if my post was taken as being down on the SRT. With one coming, I am nothing but excited about it!

Jim

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I'm not at VOI 7, so unfortunately, I have nothing to report on how the silver SRT looks in person. The photo above looks pretty good, and also the black looks good in the VOI photos I've seen -- the SRT I have on order is black, so I was pleased to see this.

I don't think we have anything to fear that the styling tweaks will have any significant impact on performance.

--Mike

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Hey, even if you DID hate the SRT, that's fine with me
smile.gif
I didn't mean to come across as jumping on you for a negative SRT comment
laugh.gif
am I that bad?
laugh.gif

I just know you're real excited about your car and I wouldn't want you to think the car was screwed up due to the people who comaplained over the styling. It seems the SRT was running alot quicker than the other cars. 12.0@120 is a *very* good time for any Viper, but it's especially good for a bad track with a... uhh... less than optimal driver
smile.gif

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the above comments regarding silver and black. The car looks really good with those colors, especially black. For some reason red (in the pics) doesn't look as good.

S

SUN RA KAT

That silver one looks pretty darn good, better than the black and red, IMHO.

But it's still not Yellow!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jwwiii:
Chris;
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What performance stats were not met? I hope folks aren't taking a time run by a DC guy at an event and extrapolating that to what other people have run in other cars at other tracks on other days.

The SRT ran a 12.0@119, as far as I have heard. When I talked to Joe Houss, he told me the same driver ran a GTS and pulled a 12.6@115 or so.

Everyone (including the "fast" guys) seemed to be about 3-5 tenths off their game, so if the SRT on a bad day with a non-optimal drive is pulling 12.0's at 119mph, it won't be long before the good drivers are running 11.4's at 124mph.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's what I saw at the dragstrip:

Stock coupes (LOTS AND LOTS) with talented and novice drivers were running 12.5 - 12.9's

SRT-10's running with PVO drivers, AND TOPS DOWN (Much higher drag) ran 12.1! ... and even pulled a mid 12 with a passenger!

Personally, I think you'll see low 11's with a talented drag racer and better conditions.

Not to quote 1bad... but, if Evan can pull an 11.7 with a stock RT/10, he should be in the VERY LOW 11's with this baby (with top up)!