SRT 10 spun a bearing

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the final process of purchasing an 04 SRT 10. Its a recovered theft.

The good news? - its in great shape except for a scratch on the front bumper.

The bad news? the sucker was dogged and they burnt the motor up. Spun a bearing which damaged the crank and bent two rods.

I'm pricing out a couple of options and wanted the board's advice. I also called Sean Roe today and he was very helpfull as well - thank you Sean!

Why consider a recovered theft? Well - the price is right!

I really would like to have the block rebuilt with a new crank, stronger rods and forged pistons. Is this available for the Gen 3 motors yet? Can someone suggest a builder? I'm in Atlanta GA btw. What kind of cost should I be assuming?

Option two - can I just purchase a short block from DCW?

Option three - speaking with the parts guy at the local Dodge, he thought I might be better off purchasing a total crate engine from Dodge that even includes the intake, fuel injection and pcm. I didn't even know Dodge had Gen 3's available. He says they are and will have a price for me tomorrow. I could then just sell what it replaces to help defray the cost.

Finally, the clutch is cooked too. Need some suggestions on aftermarket clutches.

I'm hope to put a SC kit on in a couple months so I would like to do any upgrading and/or strengthening now.

I'm still reading and learning but I would be super interested in hearings others thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you very much.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There goes the break-in method of drive it like you stole it. Not with that kind of damage. I think I now appreciate my gentle break-in more than ever!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Call Arrow, they are the place to go for rebuild advice. Sorry, don't know the number, but I'm sure you can find it with the search function. Best of luck to you.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spun bearing due to poor oiling.Car with stock oil pan pu is capable of turning in one direction only.Not a sports car.Deficient shameful DC engineering. Bruce

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Gen 2 cars had oiling problems too.Solved by acr oil filter parts,baffled oil pan,different windage tray and some earlier cars a deeper pan too.Ain't DC eingineering great?Oiling ok as long as you drive like an old lady or balding fat guy trying to attract chicks and Fred Flintstone brakes on Gen 1&2 cars.The handling quirks of a gen 2 car don't bother me too much cause I'm used to driving sideways all winter long in my pu truck.Brakes suckx but are better than my dodge(drag your feet) pu truck.Not as good as corvette,Ferarri, or VW on steroid cars but easy to improve. Bruce

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I can't find a number for Arrow anywhere. I did get their website www.arrowracingengines.com but they don't have a phone number listed. I had sent them an email but haven't heard back.

A forum search did not find their number either. ANYONE HAVE IT? ;)

So it sounds like upgrading the oil pan and pickup is a good idea too?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce - the poor oiling issue is to the best of my knowledge only when the oil level is low or you are running slicks. While at Gingerman I noticed low oil pressure in a hard left turn. I immediately pitted and found it 2 quarts low. No previous oil pressure issues that day with th eoil level higher. We found a defective oil cap o-ring that was the cause for being low. So unless you are using slicks just keep the level at the top of the full range and you are good to go. Otherwise it may be appropriate to buy the swing arm pick-up (used on comp coupes).

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also - any suggestions on upgrading/replacing the clutch. Should I stay with the stock setup or go aftermarket?

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've installed and sold the RPS clutch and flywheel setup with great results.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am north of Atlanta 1.5 hours. I can do anything you need and you MUST let me price your new Dodge parts before you get screwed over by an Atlanta dealer.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
build a motor with better pistons if your doing the superchager.The stock clutch has worked best for me. :2tu:
Max

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to consider purchasing a crate Comp Coupe motor from Dodge. Better cam and a few other goodies. I also have one new and one slightly used clutch (taken out after one weekend and replaced with the Tilton World Challenge set up on my CC) I also have the slightly used factory Comp Coupe lightened flywheel. Let me know if you are interested.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So unless you are using slicks just keep the level at the top of the full range and you are good to go.

Ditto for what Ron said. I ran my car at Heartland park all day sans any oil pick-up issues and then drove it home (5 hours away). She ran like a champ the whole time!

Womster,

There are two tuners in Houston ( one is J. Hennnnnesssssey and the other is RSI) who both build stroker motors (bump the 505 to 522) out of stock engines. They both utilize JE forged pistons and beefier rods. These built motors are the foundation for their twin turbo cars, which run 10lbs and 7lbs of boost, respectively. So, I'm sure they would be a great start for any blower you might want to add later.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bearings are like a 2 piece shell that go around the crank journals either nestled inside the main caps or inside the rods.

They are supposed to sit in one spot. They have an oil hole that lines up with an oil hole galley in the block that feeds oil through the bearing onto the bearing surface that lubricates the gap between the rods and the crank, and the block mains and the crank. If the bearings "spin" it means they have moved, and that closed off the oil hole

and that is a very bad thing :p

it goes "knock knock"

you do not answer "who is there?"

if you do - do not pass go and do not collect $200

The correct answer to this kind of knocking is shutting the engine down - otherwise the "knock knock" can be followed by the occupants of the bottom end coming outside the block to say hello...

It is never a good thing for the inhabitants of any bottom to come out at an inappropriate time.... so the technical term for this on a main failure - leading to broken crank = "the motor crapped its pants"... but if the rod lets go after spinning a rod bearing then the technical term is "throwing its leg out of bed"

Sorry for all the technical jargon :D :2tu:

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do not mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any pics of the ACR oil filter adapter, or the baffeled oilpan? Perhaps of the windage tray?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torquedude -

Thanks for the write up! I was trying to figure out the spin thing and you hit it on the nose!

I hope I never throw a leg out of bed while crapping my pants...

JD

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
"Why consider a recovered theft? Well - the price is right!"

Do you mind shooting me a PM about exactly how right the price was? :laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456