SRT Chat HERE on March 18th!

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of people, writers included don't "get" the Viper and never will. That's fine. We don't make the car for them. We make the car for you,

Thank you SRT (and you too Herb!) for not trying to make a car that everyone likes, and staying true to Luts` original theory of 1 out of 4 liking it! Too many products start to get watered down when companies try to please everyone who does not like it the way it is.

Thank you thank you for keeping the grail the way it is!:hail::hail:

Robert

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin - If you are bending pushrods then you could very well have valves hitting pistons. The other possibility is that your valve springs are weak or are set too close to or at coil bind. Do you have stock heads, valves, springs, cam, piston drop? Have the heads been milled which will put the valves closer to the pistons? Is the cam timing correct? Something is wrong with one or some of your components so I’d suggest checking all of them; this is not a normal condition.

It's all 100% stock, and not a high-mile engine.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that Dodge and/or SRT have stayed out of the Viper "aftermarket" until recently. It seems as if most of the parts development has been left to aftermarket suppliers quite unlike Ford Racing, GM Performance, and other Mopar vehicles. I would like to go to my Dodge dealer and have a "one stop shop" for my performance needs. Why has there not been much support for Gen I/II as far as aftermarket/performance parts? Will that change in the future?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Chrysler 300 SRT-8 question. Dads 2007 is still having issues with the car bogging off the line. Dealer has no clue anymore and they say it makes no sense.:(

With the traction control off, you floor it and it will sometimes go like a bat outa hell and tires break loose. Has good continuous acceleration. We like that!:D

Other times the motor seems to de-throttle and bog down for a second or two, then will go. Tires never break on these starts.

Oh yes, car has 4000 miles so far.

Any ideas.

Thanks!

Robert

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Another Chrysler 300 SRT-8 question. Dads 2007 is still having issues with the car bogging off the line. Dealer has no clue anymore and they say it makes no sense.:(

With the traction control off, you floor it and it will sometimes go like a bat outa hell and tires break loose. Has good continuous acceleration. We like that!:D

Other times the motor seems to de-throttle and bog down for a second or two, then will go. Tires never break on these starts.

Oh yes, car has 4000 miles so far.

Any ideas.

Thanks!

Robert

This is almost impossible to diagnose on a webchat. Data is your friend.

If the tires break loose, the revs will rise more quickly. If they hook hard, it can feel like a bog compared to the tire spinning, but it will likely be faster. Are you sure it is not due to traction differences?

There are some aftermarket products that will track the throttle position to help with the diagnosis of what is really going on.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good evening.

1. Any news on the window regulator issue we have previously chatted about? I have had two driver's side regulators replaced and one BCM and it still occassionaly fails to drop. It has been properly trained.

2. Please discuss the benefit or detriment of using five gallons of 98 octane race fuel mixed with 93 octane fuel at a track day. In a stock car and in a car with a Paxton kit.

3. Have you had a chance to try out the MGW performance shifter mechanism yet that we mentioned the last time? It really is a significant improvement.

Regards,

Bob

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this is not a dumb question but...

Is there a way to identify Viper spec PS2's from the sidewall of the tire to make sure we got the correct ones?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
It's all 100% stock, and not a high-mile engine.

It sounds like this is a condition that has changed – it was not doing this initially, it started and is now getting worse. This would seem to indicate that something is going wrong. Are you the original owner? Can you be sure that it is indeed stock? Can you tell us which cylinders bent the pushrods?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
This is almost impossible to diagnose on a webchat. Data is your friend.

If the tires break loose, the revs will rise more quickly. If they hook hard, it can feel like a bog compared to the tire spinning, but it will likely be faster. Are you sure it is not due to traction differences?

There are some aftermarket products that will track the throttle position to help with the diagnosis of what is really going on.

There is also heat soak which affects engine torque. If you are sitting with a hot engine idling, then jump on it, you'll get a gulp of hot air and even maybe some knock as a result that will need to be run though the engine. An aftermarket intake is even worse than the stock airbox.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, Thanks to ALL the SRT engineers for taking the time to answer our questions.:headbang:
You told us about the new paint shop but could you tell us if any improvements will be made to the process .? I would like to know if the paint chip issue has been addressed.? Their was talk of maybe painting the rockers,facia,and wheel openings with a different stronger chip resistant paint such as a crinkle coat.? Kevin

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the bog is not connected to traction as de-fueling is also sometimes felt prior to 1-2 nd shift. By then traction is always good.

Also never felt that type of hesitation in any other SRT/Performance Mopars we have. And the 300 is all stock so far!;)

Thanks for the help! I will look into one of those aftermarket TPS systems and see what we can find!

Thanks again!:hail::hail::hail:

Robert

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi again. I recently replaced the shifter bezel with a billet piece which is lower. It is also powder coated black. This produced two effects. First, it is more comfortable when shifting or resting the hand in preparation to shift. Second, the change in color is less distracting to the eye and, at least to me, looks better. Have you considered a lower shift bezel?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also heat soak which affects engine torque. If you are sitting with a hot engine idling, then jump on it, you'll get a gulp of hot air and even maybe some knock as a result that will need to be run though the engine. An aftermarket intake is even worse than the stock airbox.

:hmmm: Hmmm. That would make a little more sense as it is off a stop. :hmmm:

Robert

Grailkeeper

VCA Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that Dodge and/or SRT have stayed out of the Viper "aftermarket" until recently. It seems as if most of the parts development has been left to aftermarket suppliers quite unlike Ford Racing, GM Performance, and other Mopar vehicles. I would like to go to my Dodge dealer and have a "one stop shop" for my performance needs. Why has there not been much support for Gen I/II as far as aftermarket/performance parts? Will that change in the future?

Let's talk about the future first.....as a new company we will finally be able to devote the right kind of resources to be able to help out on aftermarket kits/parts for the early cars. The new company when it is born realizes that this is desired by the nation. Historically, Chrysler has always had resource issues trying to find the time and money to properly develop lots of Viper aftermarket parts. The SRT guys have always wanted to work on aftermarket parts but the odds have always been against them...GK

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
question on 1997.......occasionally the idle will not come down to normal, and remains above 1,200 rpm, when the clutch is in. occurs when moving and not moving. what could causes be on that?

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's talk about the future first.....as a new company we will finally be able to devote the right kind of resources to be able to help out on aftermarket kits/parts for the early cars. The new company when it is born realizes that this is desired by the nation. Historically, Chrysler has always had resource issues trying to find the time and money to properly develop lots of Viper aftermarket parts. The SRT guys have always wanted to work on aftermarket parts but the odds have always been against them...GK

Great news! THANK YOU!!! :2tu:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
First of all, Thanks to ALL the SRT engineers for taking the time to answer our questions.:headbang:
You told us about the new paint shop but could you tell us if any improvements will be made to the process .? I would like to know if the paint chip issue has been addressed.? Their was talk of maybe painting the rockers,facia,and wheel openings with a different stronger chip resistant paint such as a crinkle coat.? Kevin

Yes the new paint shop will have a few process improvements. The appearance quality will be equal to or better than the previous paint work. We are still looking at the paint chip concern. It is definitiely a consideration in our process planning.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like this is a condition that has changed – it was not doing this initially, it started and is now getting worse. This would seem to indicate that something is going wrong. Are you the original owner? Can you be sure that it is indeed stock? Can you tell us which cylinders bent the pushrods?

The first time I had the problem, it was on cylinders #3 and #7 (I think that's the numbering, the second and fourth cylinders on the driver's side). #3 was bent like crazy, and #7 was just bowed. Recently, I heard a tapping sound, so I pulled the valve cover, and #1 exhaust (first cylinder on driver's side) was slightly bowed. I'm the original owner and it is indeed stock.

What is a little strange is that when I originally took delivery of the vehicle in '97, I took it back to the dealer because I was hearing a slight tapping coming from the driver's side valvetrain. He just told me that the injectors make a ton of noise and I was probably just hearing that. Now, after replacing those pushrods, no more tapping...

Grailkeeper

VCA Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi again. I recently replaced the shifter bezel with a billet piece which is lower. It is also powder coated black. This produced two effects. First, it is more comfortable when shifting or resting the hand in preparation to shift. Second, the change in color is less distracting to the eye and, at least to me, looks better. Have you considered a lower shift bezel?

Hi Bob.....

Truth is, we have never considered a thinner shift ring. The ring and the way it looks has been a styling domain and we let them have their way. Hope that billet piece doesn't weigh more.....more weight is bad....remember.....GK

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi & thanks for doing these little "chats"!!!

I have an `09 ACR.

Question 1:
I'd like to put the front splitter piece in. I was wondering if I should drop the rear wing from the stock #2 position to maybe position #3. I drive on the street and really do not want to drop the ride height.

Question 2:
How many `09 ACRs have rolled off the line (Herb was looking into this as well).

Thanks!!!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On page 31 of the current Viper magazine, the underbody of a 2009 is shown. It appears that the oil pan is black and I think my 08 is natural aluminum. Is this a change and if so why? Thanks!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bob.....

Truth is, we have never considered a thinner shift ring. The ring and the way it looks has been a styling domain and we let them have their way. Hope that billet piece doesn't weigh more.....more weight is bad....remember.....GK

It is about one half the weight of the stock piece. ( Shorter means thinner. ) Making the ring shorter really does improve the overall shifting experience. Give it a try. I do not want to plug a vendor in this forum. If you want to know where to get the piece I am using, please PM or email me.

Best,

Bob

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another quick question:

Is there any breaking advantage of changing the factory Brembo Calipers to StopTech Calipers to "match" the StopTech rotors on the ACR?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 ACR question. The factory ACR suspension settings where determined by what. Best ride, best handling, just middle of the road for avarage use, light race use, etc.

Just curious as mine is still CAAP set....

Robert