SRT Engineer Chat HERE on September 19th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay gang, sorry for the short notice but here it is: The folks from SRT have generously offered to host a chat here for Viper owners (and prospective owners) on Wednesday, September 19, 2007. It will take place here from 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (that's 5:00 Central, 4:00 Mountain and 3:00 Pacific).

Now this is your chance to chat directly with SRT employees about the Viper platform - be it old or new. Just understand that ALL questions about future product (anything beyond the already published 2008 model) will be ignored if not deleted by our moderating staff first. Chrysler/SRT personnel are strictly forbidden from commenting about future product, so don't waste your typewriting. Our moderators will be standing by and will delete without warning - other than this one. ;)

Given the short notice, we would encourage you to start posting questions here immediately. Our web staff will consolidate those questions into one reply before the actual chat starts and SRT will review them beforehand as well. As stated above, we reserve the right to edit or delete those questions that SRT cannot answer due to company policy.

We look forward to your questions and seeing you here on the 19th!

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the list of the "pre-questions" for SRT engineers that have been asked thus far (as of 5:42 PM EDT):

Kai SRT10 - Could they post an engine dyno graph for a 2008 engine?

Vipermann - Stock rear gear ratios. It would seem the 3.07 is used for optimal fuel economy, but many here feel that shorter gears, e.g. 3.33 or 3.55, provide better street drivability and performance. Is there other performance rationale for the 3.07 ratio that has been overlooked?

HPATTERN - I have an 06 Viper and have a lot of wheel hop under hard acceleration. Is this normal?

Janni - Seeing as how Autoweek let the cat out of the bag on the ACR version - perhaps we can get "the rest of the story"? Or is that top secret future product? :D
Editor's note: Future product question most likely, but we won't delete it as we don't want to be seen picking on a defenseless Comp Coupe girl... Ed :misch:

Andrew/USPWR - Can you tell our why they “did not” or “could not” give out any info about the 2008 Viper at VOI-9?
Another Editor's note: It would have been future product information and there were still quite a few unsold 2006's at the time. That wouldn't have helped anybody. Ed

Nader (several questions) - 1) I am curious to get your opinion on "real world" servicing of the Viper fluids. While I know what the manual says, I am curious to get you opinion on changing the fluids for a 2004 with 15,000 miles and driven about 4,000 miles a year. Take into consideration that I run two track events a year. It is in NY and driven in the Winter when possible.

I would like your recommendations on changing the following fluids as if it were your own car.
Oil
Tranny
Coolant
Brake
Rear diff

2) There are many Gen III Viper owners who change out their spark plugs and wires very early in the life of the car. Do you see any benefit in doing so based on what you know about the stock plugs and wires? Are there any deficiencies with the stock pieces or are the aftermarket just that much better?

3) Many of us are running aftermarket computer programs in the car for added power. I am running DC Performance programming. Aside from the performance tuning, this programming adjusts the temperature of the car by regulating the fan as well as utilizing a 180 degree Thermostat. Car runs great and is much cooler. With the added performance and cooler temps, it was my favorite mod. My question is - with the engine running cooler, are there any concerns especially when driving the car in the cold months?

4) Getting back the tuning, one of the benefits of the performance tune is it leans out the mid range. The stock program at times felt a bit sluggish in mid ranges bursts. Now with the new program, it is instant power and really screams.

Is there a reason why the car is programmed to run rich in the mid range from the factory?

5) There have been many posts here about the computer in the Gen III being adaptive and able to adjust fuel, timing etc. to compensate for better breathing via performance modifications, whether intake or exhaust. Is that true? If so, what is the approximate time or miles needed so that the computer fully recognizes and compensates for the changes or modifications?

I have also noticed that after long leisurely driving in my 2004 the car is not as responsive as after periods of driving the car hard. Is this due to the same adaptive computer controller? Is the car adapting to a driving style? Can you elaborate please...

Andrew/USPWR, Part II - I get clicking sounds coming out of my speakers in my 05 SRT/10 when I turn it off sometimes?

Kai SRT10, Part II - I would like to settle once and for all the question of how the 2008 PS2 tires are different from regular PS2 tires

Flyntgr - I have an '08 GTS blue with white stripes (all else is stock) SRT convert on order, with serial number assigned, and wonder if this color has begun, or not?

rcl4668 (several questions): 1) Any updated information on the availability of the Mopar Cold Air Intake featured on the 675 hp Viper Concept Coupe?

2) (edit - duplicate from Kai Part II)

3) I plan on installing an Autoform roll bar (bolt-on not welded to the frame) on my 2008 when it arrives. I assume the answer is no but is there anything about the frame or structure of the car in the cabin area that would be different compared to the 2003-2006s?

4) Can you confirm whether the factory fill motor oil is still Mobil 0w40 synthetic?;

5) Can you confirm the break-in procedure for the 2008s?; and

6) Can you confirm what the factory-recommended tire pressures are for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? The owners manual specified 29 psi all around for the previous Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires. Is this still the case for the new tires? As a side note, the older 2003-2006s had a greater tendency to understeer than the 2008s (at least according to recent magazine tests of the 2008). On my 2006 Viper, I set the pressures to 34 psi front and 30 psi rear for track and "spirited" driving to dial out some understeer. Would you still recommend this staggered air pressure or would you recommend the same pressures all around given the 2008s more neutral handling characteristics?

7) I plan on dynoing my 2008 Viper after about 500-1,500 miles of driving. What is the driveline loss percentage for the 2008? From a previous post on this forum, someone stated that 12% driveline loss was the correct figure. Is this accurate?

Tony Spina - I have an 06 coupe, I read on a post that in order to go to the PS2s instead of the run flats, the suspension has to be redone or reset. is that true? And will the shop know what has to be done and to what specifications that you the SRT engineers require? I dont like messing with something highly educated engineers have found to work best. Or am I just better off keeping the runflats because the 06s are set up for them ? Is there a real improvment ?

Canyon707 - The issues I had were after i removed my corssover exhuast and went with the Corsa with stock cats which I like but, it seems to be a bit sluggish and doesn't explode out of the hole as it once did. I am running 3:73 gears and needless to say I could chase bullets before the exhaust change and battery disconnect. Now its even hard to spin up the tires from a slow roll. I did disconnect the battery to do the install as in the service manual instructions. So now I was told that I need to replace my wires and plugs after 16000 miles of not hard driving. I purchased some Magnacore wires for a small fortune and find out that its another $660.00 plus gaskets at $113.00 a pair to install them as the manifold needs to be removed etc. a good part of a day no doubt to do this. So my question is this should I spend the money or is this fix really not going to do much? I am really perplexed as I was told there would be and increase in power not a decrease. I have not put this on a dyno but my ass knows ..... Do I need to drive this hard to get the computer to respond?

SRT10 - The new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s were specifically designed for the 08 Viper, which has increased camber 1.4 degrees front and rear. Since these new tires are not runflats what does SRT recommend for replacing 2003 runflats?

viperjim - I think we were expecting a bigger blow out of the Corvette Z06 by the 2008 600 HP Viper. Most of the magazines have the Viper beating the Z06 by only a tenth in the 1/4 mile. With 95 more horsepower I would have expected a much stronger showing even though the Viper weighs 300 lbs more. Any thoughts?

viperbilliam - What's the inside diameter size of the headers on the '03-06? Is it 1.5 inches? If it is, why so small for a cylinder that size? Is it the same size for 2008?

2snakes - Will There Be A Heat Issue In The 08 ?? How Long Until They Build Violet ??

Anonymous - We have heard that headers and exhaust will let the new heads breathe to their potential that is currently being held back by the EPA restrictions. Would an additional computer flash be required since the air flow is increased both ways? Or would the headers and exhaust be plug and play without additional work? And what kind of flywheel horsepower can be expected with those mods?

bluesboy - This might seem like a simple question but the service person at the Dodge dealership put 11 quarts of oil instead of 10 when I had the oil changed. Should I just leave it alone or go back and have the extra quart removed. I have a 2004 SRT.

sssweet (two questions) - 1) I own a 2002 GTS Final Edition... Would like to change the wheels to the five-spoke which are on the Gen 3 and Gen 4. Will they fit or are modifications necessary? I know the rears would be 19" instead of the original 18", but the new wheels would be for street application only and I would retain the old wheels for track use.

2) My 2006 300 SRT8 is extremely sluggish/lazy with the acceleration if I do not use AutoStick and keep the RPMs at 4000 or higher. Dealership states this is in an effort to comply with emissions standards. Any thoughts?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Kai SRT10, Part II - I would like to settle once and for all the question of how the 2008 PS2 tires are different from regular PS2 tires

"All replacement market Pilot Sport PS2 have to be designed with a wide spectrum of possible applications, therefore the tire designers are limited in terms of design options. However, each Original Equipment fitment provides the designers the freedom to tune the tire design for one specific application with a known weight and suspension/chassis characteristics. Therefore design options are opened up for a limited range as long as the tire is in line with the performance envelope of the Pilot Sport PS2 line. The design details of these tires are proprietary to Michelin but one thing that we can clarify is that the 2008 Viper Pilot Sport PS2 tires have tread depth of 9/32nds vs. most other Pilot Sport PS2's with 10/32nds tread depth. "

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
6) Can you confirm what the factory-recommended tire pressures are for the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2? The owners manual specified 29 psi all around for the previous Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires. Is this still the case for the new tires? As a side note, the older 2003-2006s had a greater tendency to understeer than the 2008s (at least according to recent magazine tests of the 2008). On my 2006 Viper, I set the pressures to 34 psi front and 30 psi rear for track and "spirited" driving to dial out some understeer. Would you still recommend this staggered air pressure or would you recommend the same pressures all around given the 2008s more neutral handling characteristics?

We need to stick with the factory recommended pressures. Many hours of development was spent tuning to arrive at these values

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for being here! Feel free to address some of the "pre-questions" as people continue to arrive. We are glad to have you!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions... This is a great source of information for us enthusiasts.

Lets begin...

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Kai SRT10 - Could they post an engine dyno graph for a 2008 engine?

- Our 2008 rating curve for the SRT10 has been submitted to and approved by the SAE. The curve will be available through SAE (don't think it is public yet) so you will be able to get the curve from them. I cannot release the curve until that time - sorry.

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much for hosting this Q&A!

I am the proud owner of an '04, and was wondering if you could address numbers three and five of the above pre-asked questions. They both pertain to computer programming and it's effect on the engine and longevity.

Thanks!!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious about the development of the stock 2008 headers. There have been several forum discussions about rather significant HP/TQ benefits of aftermarket headers. Does your R & D support such a claim and/or can you shed some light on this subject.

Added:

Please excuse my rudeness. Welcome and thank you!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I plan on installing an Autoform roll bar (bolt-on not welded to the frame) on my 2008 when it arrives. I assume the answer is no but is there anything about the frame or structure of the car in the cabin area that would be different compared to the 2003-2006s?

The frame has not changed. Go for it.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect they are furiously typing out the answers as we refresh our browsers. Now if they were marketing guys they would be sipping a double latté just daring somebody to ask another question... :lmao:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I suspect they are furiously typing out the answers as we refresh our browsers. Now if they were marketing guys they would be sipping a double latté just daring somebody to ask another question...

Hey easy there. I'm trying to fight my way in for some of the pizza.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Seeing as how Autoweek let the cat out of the bag on the ACR version - perhaps we can get "the rest of the story"? Or is that top secret future product? :D

We were as surprised as anyone. We have no idea what they're talking about.....call their editor......

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From post #2

3) Many of us are running aftermarket computer programs in the car for added power. I am running DC Performance programming. Aside from the performance tuning, this programming adjusts the temperature of the car by regulating the fan as well as utilizing a 180 degree Thermostat. Car runs great and is much cooler. With the added performance and cooler temps, it was my favorite mod. My question is - with the engine running cooler, are there any concerns especially when driving the car in the cold months?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Anonymous - We have heard that headers and exhaust will let the new heads breathe to their potential that is currently being held back by the EPA restrictions. Would an additional computer flash be required since the air flow is increased both ways? Or would the headers and exhaust be plug and play without additional work? And what kind of flywheel horsepower can be expected with those mods?

Mopar is working on something. Stay tuned.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/member.php?u=22101
Tony Spina - I have an 06 coupe, I read on a post that in order to go to the PS2s instead of the run flats, the suspension has to be redone or reset. is that true? And will the shop know what has to be done and to what specifications that you the SRT engineers require? I dont like messing with something highly educated engineers have found to work best. Or am I just better off keeping the runflats because the 06s are set up for them ? Is there a real improvement?
The '03-'06 suspension was tuned around the PS1 runflats. The new tuning is integral with the tires for the '08 improvements. If you do part of the changes, you will get part of the benefit. SRT Vehicle Dynamics recommends going all the way to the '08 suspension setup if you want to run the new tires. This means '08 springs, shocks, alignment, and rear swaybar. Michelin has told us Viper spec runflat PS1 will be made for quite a few years for you guys to have replacements.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader (several questions) - 1) I am curious to get your opinion on "real world" servicing of the Viper fluids. While I know what the manual says, I am curious to get you opinion on changing the fluids for a 2004 with 15,000 miles and driven about 4,000 miles a year. Take into consideration that I run two track events a year. It is in NY and driven in the Winter when possible.

I would like your recommendations on changing the following fluids as if it were your own car.
Oil
Tranny
Coolant
Brake
Rear diff
And thanks for visiting with us!
PBR

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s were specifically designed for the 08 Viper, which has increased camber 1.4 degrees front and rear. Since these new tires are not runflats what does SRT recommend for replacing 2003 runflats?

Runflats and non-runflats are totally different animals. Michelin has assured us they will continue to make the PS1 Viper spec runflats into the future.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
viperjim - I think we were expecting a bigger blow out of the Corvette Z06 by the 2008 600 HP Viper. Most of the magazines have the Viper beating the Z06 by only a tenth in the 1/4 mile. With 95 more horsepower I would have expected a much stronger showing even though the Viper weighs 300 lbs more. Any thoughts?

That comparison turned out a little different when we ran the two cars! Wait until you see some real world match-ups....

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an `06 Coupe. All four of the sensors in my rims that monitor the air pressure went bad. The dealer told me that if I let the car sit for a month or two they will go bad again. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this (besides driving the car). With winter coming this is a concern.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Stock rear gear ratios. It would seem the 3.07 is used for optimal fuel economy, but many here feel that shorter gears, e.g. 3.33 or 3.55, provide better street drivability and performance. Is there other performance rationale for the 3.07 ratio that has been overlooked?

We strive to get the best balance between performance and economy. Remember we have to maximize performance on the EPA test cycle because that can mean $ in your pocket...of course 1/4mile is where it's at for us.......

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
bluesboy - This might seem like a simple question but the service person at the Dodge dealership put 11 quarts of oil instead of 10 when I had the oil changed. Should I just leave it alone or go back and have the extra quart removed. I have a 2004 SRT.

Chances are the added oil isn't going to hurt your vehicle as an everyday driver. However, if you race your car you may notice a slight difference in performance from the increased windage.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Will There Be A Heat Issue In The 08 ?? How Long Until They Build Violet ??

You will see an improvement regarding heat. The louvers have been moved forward on the hood and the cross over exhaust has been replaced with straight side out exhaust.
The Violet paint option will be out later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.