SRT Engineer Chat HERE on September 19th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I have an `06 Coupe. All four of the sensors in my rims that monitor the air pressure went bad. The dealer told me that if I let the car sit for a month or two they will go bad again. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this (besides driving the car). With winter coming this is a concern.

This seems very strange. Try driving the vehicle above 20mph, at this speed the TPM's will "relearn". If that doesn't work ask your dealer to try the magnet "relearn" procedure. Make sure the schrader cap is in place for that is the transmitter for the system. Your dealer should be aware of these procedures. It seems very strange for all (4) to go south

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When will 08'***** the showrooms?
Why can't I order the stripe color and interior color combinations I want?
Is it true that certain colors are already sold out?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader - "5) There have been many posts here about the computer in the Gen III being adaptive and able to adjust fuel, timing etc. to compensate for better breathing via performance modifications, whether intake or exhaust. Is that true? If so, what is the approximate time or miles needed so that the computer fully recognizes and compensates for the changes or modifications?"

Nader - The ECU will adjust for closed loop fueling - i.e. when running part throttle at stoichiometric mixtures (based on what the O2 sensors see). When the ECU says the engine should be closed loop, it will always adjust the mixture regardless of any engine changes. We call this adaptive fuel. We do not apply adaptive fuel trims in open loop or WOT therefore if you make you engine breath better, it will lean out. Depending on how much things change, it could run dangerously lean and possibly damage the engine. The ECU does not "adapt" spark at all. On the 2004 - 2006 engines (and the 2008) the knock system will reduce spark if it "hears" knock. It will never add spark or adapt for engine changes.

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought so to. He asked if I had done something (modified) to the car, which I hadn’t.

Thanks for your assistance, you SRT guys and gals are the best.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Are the overall performance parameters of the 2008 Coupes (not the CC) more condusive or favorable to some forms/classes of racing where Dodge has been absent in recent years -- like ALMS?

The Comp Coupe recieved type approval by IMSA for entry into ALMS just this spring so that is why you are starting to see a few teams get their feet wet. The '08 car actually has too much HP for GT2.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the development of the stock 2008 headers. There have been several forum discussions about rather significant HP/TQ benefits of aftermarket headers. Does your R & D support such a claim and/or can you shed some light on this subject.

Added:

Please excuse my rudeness. Welcome and thank you!

Can't really comment on other people's stuff. We did do quite a bit of work to come up with the best possible stuff for the stock headers.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader (several questions) - 1) I am curious to get your opinion on "real world" servicing of the Viper fluids. While I know what the manual says, I am curious to get you opinion on changing the fluids for a 2004 with 15,000 miles and driven about 4,000 miles a year. Take into consideration that I run two track events a year. It is in NY and driven in the Winter when possible.

I would like your recommendations on changing the following fluids as if it were your own car.
Oil
Tranny
Coolant
Brake
Rear diff

Nader...Since you do track your car and drive it in sub-freezing temps Schedule B in the owners manual is right up your alley. More important than the change intervals is you periodically checking the fluids especially before and after track events and at end of the year....thats the only way to ensure and happy and healthy snake!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
When will 08'***** the showrooms?
Why can't I order the stripe color and interior color combinations I want?
Is it true that certain colors are already sold out?

The design office had a little heart burn on some of the color combos, such as red stripes on a green car. Go to http://www.drivesrt.com/en/index.html to see all of the available combos.

We are no longer taking GTS Blue orders, because we want to make sure we get in all eight colors this year.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys great you're here,

How come we have ESP and traction control on a 1500 Ram truck but not on the 08 viper.There are a lot of folks out there that couldn't drive 400 hp much less 600.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Seriously, do any of you guys mess around with the old muscle (Vipers distant relative)?

Hey Randy - I have four old muscle cars and love them but they are not necessarily of the MOPAR variety! But hey, I love all those old 60's - 70's cars! I got to tell you though, I'm thinking about selling one to get a '08, they are awesome!

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your experience with the Tire Repair Kit...I know the 08 no longer has run flats, what can we expect from the kit...does it work. Our Charger has the same kit, right?

Also...regarding the Charger SRT8 is it true the throttle is only 75% in 1st and 2nd gears (and why if so?), and is this going to happen in the 08 Viper?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No really why no ESP and Traction control.I know we don't want it to get turned into a vette but a little safer for those that need it would make sense.Considering customers are paying several thousand dollars to have it added.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the comp coupe engine mounts and the oem street engine mounts? (I know the tranny mount is different, but what about the engine mounts?)

The Comp Coupe and '06 street Viper have the same front engine mounts. However, the 2008 Viper has stiffer front mounts to handle the new powertrain.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
What is your experience with the Tire Repair Kit...I know the 08 no longer has run flats, what can we expect from the kit...does it work. Our Charger has the same kit, right?

The tire repair kit works and is a nice convenience. It multi-tasks and can be used to fill up balls or floats. Become familiar with the kit and you will have no issues.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader - The ECU will adjust for closed loop fueling - i.e. when running part throttle at stoichiometric mixtures (based on what the O2 sensors see). When the ECU says the engine should be closed loop, it will always adjust the mixture regardless of any engine changes. We call this adaptive fuel. We do not apply adaptive fuel trims in open loop or WOT therefore if you make you engine breath better, it will lean out. Depending on how much things change, it could run dangerously lean and possibly damage the engine. The ECU does not "adapt" spark at all. On the 2004 - 2006 engines (and the 2008) the knock system will reduce spark if it "hears" knock. It will never add spark or adapt for engine changes.

since I am no engineer, does this mean the computer always is adjusting or compensating in closed loop no matter the modifications? And, the inverse, in open loop or wide open throttle it does not change adjust the fuel mixture therefore tuning would be required?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
No really why no ESP and Traction control.I know we don't want it to get turned into a vette but a little safer for those that need it would make sense.Considering customers are paying several thousand dollars to have it added.

It really comes down to a question of philosophy. We have always been about back to basics.......

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question I have recently upgraded my suspension with motons and eibachs - 500 front 800 rear. I run aftermarket wheels and tires which are certainly lighter than the stock setup. I like the setup and wonder if you have any suggestions on setting the car up for street and some track events?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
since I am no engineer, does this mean the computer always is adjusting or compensating in closed loop no matter the modifications? And, the inverse, in open loop or wide open throttle it does not change adjust the fuel mixture therefore tuning would be required?

The ECU will always try and adjust fueling to the proper mixture (14.6:1 air fuel) when in closed loop conditions (generally part load and speeds less than about 4000 rpm) - always as long as the O2 sensors are switching. When in open loop (higher loads and speeds over about 4000 rpm) there is no adaptive fueling - period. So yes, tuning would be required to compensate for engine modifications.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question I have recently upgraded my suspension with motons and eibachs - 500 front 800 rear. I run aftermarket wheels and tires which are certainly lighter than the stock setup. I like the setup and wonder if you have any suggestions on setting the car up for street and some track events?

We think the fronts are a little heavy and the rears are a little light for track use. The 2004 One Lap Viper with stock tires had Motons with 350 fronts and 850 rears. Bigger (like 315) front tires like more front spring. You need to test to find what you like at the track.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtengineers
The Comp Coupe and '06 street Viper have the same front engine mounts. However, the 2008 Viper has stiffer front mounts to handle the new powertrain.[/quote]

Will these mounts work on the older engines?

Yes. The mounts look the same and are interchangeable. Only the durometer of the rubber is different.

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
purchased a 96rt10 a month ago and had had new plugs installed,efi cleaned.pcv valve replaced,new fuel pump and new k&n air filters.
The car has 38k miles,it starts just fine and usually idles around 500rpm is that normal?
Sometimes the idle spikes from 500 to 1200 or will drop almost to 250 and jump up around 1k.
Any ideas what might be going on here?
Any help would be appreciated

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tire repair kit works and is a nice convenience. It multi-tasks and can be used to fill up balls or floats. Become familiar with the kit and you will have no issues.

Thank you for the answer to my first questio but can you answer the second one?

This pertains to the electronic throttle body in the 08? Drive by wire; it also pertains to our Charger...thanks

Also...regarding the Charger SRT8 is it true the throttle is only 75% in 1st and 2nd gears (and why if so?), and is this going to happen in the 08 Viper?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult...

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently changed out the stock throttlebody with an aftermarket single blade one. I did notice an improvement in throttle response and some top end power. But what i have noticed lately is the car can not figure out where to idle at times. Sometimes it stops at 1100 for a few seconds then falls to 800 or so. It used to idle at exactly 750 with no problems. Do you have any thoughts on what it is doing and how to correct it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave