SRT on BBC Top Gear

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the Viper episode doesn't air until November 7.

I'm curious, did anyone out there see the Pagani Zonda episode? What were the track conditions? I'm surprised at its (relatively) slow time. Given its power and weight, I would have expected the Zonda to beat the 360CS, particularly as it is supposed to be a very fine handling car.

Porsche Carrera GT - 1:19.8
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1:20.9
Ford GT - 1:21.9
Ferrari 360 CS - 1:22.3
Porsche GT3 RS - 1:22.3
Murcielago - 1:23.7
Zonda - 1:23.8
Koenigsegg - 1:23.9
Noble - 1:25.0
Gallardo - 1:25.8
Corvette C6 - 1:26.8
Lotus Exige - 1:26.9
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1:27.2

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... Like I said, some of what the SRT-10 loses in not having a spare is put back on through heavier tires.

Talk about a spin,lol. You should work in politics. Reading what you just wrot...you seem to be say that switching to run-flats wouldnt save any negligable weight. And you'd be dead wrong. Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight. They ride like they are made of solid metal so they need to save a lot of weight to make the switch worth it. Sure the tires themselves weight just slighty more (approx 10%, prolly less for the wider viper tire), but the weight savings due to skipping the jack, spare tire, spare tire well, tools, and associated bracketry MORE than outweigh that. Its also saves space and mpg, but weight is the main reason.
And I KNOW you know this! But you cant argue my points on the whole, so you have to find a little snippet and try to pick it apart in a pathetic attempt to prove me wrong.

let me give a second bottom line: motortrend says
http://motortrend.com/buyersguide/preowned/112_0408_pre_viper/index1.html
I can get a gen1/gen2 for 3300lbs which is less than any srt10. Maybe motor trend is wrong or maybe it was only 1 car ever made that was 3300lbs, or a special model that you think doesnt count- but that still wouldnt matter. My facts are taken from things i read, hear, or see and i remember them correctly to come on here every day or so and rattle off my points in 5 minutes accurately enough.. I'm not making a deposition or writing a thesis so minutia is of least importance to me. I dont have every torque spec and capacity memorized like you viper nerds do. So you can skim my posts and pick out single words and sorta argue an inconsistency with some obscure link you found on google.
But at the end of the day, all your half-ass melee mouth objections of minor details are inconsequential against my major points. Talk about testicles!

p.s. Pyschologists will tell you that people start to take cheap shots when they feel they are losing the argument

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm curious, did anyone out there see the Pagani Zonda episode? What were the track conditions? I'm surprised at its (relatively) slow time. Given its power and weight, I would have expected the Zonda to beat the 360CS, particularly as it is supposed to be a very fine handling car.

Yup, the Viper wasnt on Last night, just the Porsche S, 300C vs Monaro vs Jag type r, oh and an ice cream truck. crashing of course.

The Zonda's forte isnt handling. Its forte is power and speed and quality. It was clear in just seat of the pants testing by clarkson that the Lambo with a severe power DISadvantage should beat it simply because its better in the bends. And he ended up being right.

WEll, sort of... to be fair, the track was slighty wet with the zonda because they were stupid back then and wet down the track with a water truck on sunny days on purpose. So it should def be a little faster. I've been wondering about them doing the retest since they retested the lambo only. and of course their were people saying that top gear was biased towards lambo cuz it was their lambo anniversary week,lol-cant please everyone i guess

I agree the wet laps arent congruent enough to dry laps for me either. I would prefer a separate board since it seems to make the wet lapped cars looks slow. But its britain, and I hear they get more rain than florida! So if anything, they should wait till its raining and have all tests done in the wet,lol

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zonda's forte isnt handling. Its forte is power and speed and quality. It was clear in just seat of the pants testing by clarkson that the Lambo with a severe power DISadvantage should beat it simply because its better in the bends. And he ended up being right.

It's interesting, because this reviewer seemed to think that the Zonda's handling was its forte.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=4292

Tiff on 5th gear also raved about its handling.

The Zonda running on a wet track may explain the relatively lackluster time.

It's just loopy to try and get a decent lap time out of a car on a wet track and then try to compare that with a dry lap time.

I just watched the Top Gear Lambo vs Zonda episode. They had the Zonda beating the Lambo by almost 6 seconds, with the Lambo's track time at 1:29.

How did the Lambo go from 1:29 in the show to 1:23.7 on the Top Gear board?

From the BBC Top Gear Web site:

"So which is fastest? With the Stig at the wheel, the Lambo posted a remarkable time of 1min 29sec for a single lap - holding incredible speed through the corners. But it proved no match for the Zonda's 1min 23sec - it shaved a whole 6sec off the Lambo's time."

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Talk about a spin,lol. You should work in politics. Reading what you just wrot...you seem to be say that switching to run-flats wouldnt save any negligable weight. And you'd be dead wrong. Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight."

WRONG. The primary reason is space. The inability to store a spare that will work in all 4 corners. Look in the SRT and tell me where the spare would go.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, the internet is an interesting place...
this guy thinks the Yugo 45 is the best car ever made
http://www.carsurvey.org/review_5029.html
but whatever

I'm sure everyone who would drive it would rave about the handling. All those supercars have phenomenal handling. But its power to weight ratio is really more amazing.

I'm sure they'd prefer every test day to be dry, but you cant control acts of god. Since you cant make rainy days dry, you have to make sunny days wet. So then if every lap was a wet time, it would still be equally comparative. Unfortunately, to wet down 2 miles of track on a sunny day was arduous and expensive and actually impossible cuz the truck didnt hold enough water. And by the time they got to the end, the beginning was dry again. So they ended up with a dry track with some puddles. They gave that idea up quickly, obviously
Like i said, they retested the lambo in the dry and it took a huge amount of seconds off its time.

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look in the SRT and tell me where the spare would go.

ah, thats an easy one.. maybe in the same spot as the old car-but really anywhere they wanted it to, had they wanted it, since it was a clean sheet redesign. Yet to meet its design goals it was eliminated on purpose.

Though to be fair. I'd say run-flats will become very common in the near future because it works as a great marketing tool. To tell customers, they'll never have to change a flat on the side of the road again would surely help sell reasonably priced cars.
I think a viper driver would either not mind changing their flat or would call a limo and a flatbed and not skip a beat. But my mother certainly might pick an nissan over an accord for such a feature simply because of the ability to not have to be stranded or put up with roadside assistance delays.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said, they retested the lambo in the dry and it took a huge amount of seconds off its time.

It would be interesting to see the Zonda's time on a dry track. Too bad they couldn't re-test them both.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they could have had a spare. Or the undertray with diffuser. But unfortunately not both. Since aerodynamics that provide high speed stability was a requirement the choice was easy. BTW have you ever ssen the trunk or underbody of an SRT? It seems not by your comments.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get a gen1/gen2 for 3300lbs which is less than any srt10.
Why don't we settle this? Here's how: You find me a test of any production gen1/gen2 Viper that weighs 3300 lbs. I already explained to you that when MT finally listed the production gen1 Viper, it was over 3400 lbs. What part of this are you not understanding?
The 3300 lb figure is only an estimate that was put out by Dodge before the production version hit the street. Even R&T listed this figure in their Viper articles, before they finally weighed one. What are the odds of MT and R&T both listing 3300 lbs before they tested the production car? Doesn't it seem strange to you that both publications cite a figure that's rounded off to the nearest 100 lbs? I know it's a stretch for you, but c'mon guy, use your brain.
Are you seriously trying to tell us that the gen1 car is lighter than the gen2 car? Thanks for the laugh. All of the magazine listed curb weights say otherwise. In any event, you'll note that MT wrote of the SRT-10:
"Overall vehicle weight is down by about 80 lb..."
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/112_0206_viper/index.html

I asked you before: Are you reading off from that 2002 issue of R&T??

repete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

when they were tested on the same track conditions(wet)..the zonda murdered the murci...but for some odd reason..they gave the murci another run on a dry track later in the series...another funny thing..the murci was ran around the n'ring twice..once before the zonda ran..adn once after the zonda bested its time..the zonda has only run the n'ring once

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight.
Really?

"A driver will find the XLR, with its 18-inch, Michelin run-flat tires, to be a well-mannered, responsive car that's easy to drive in city traffic, too.
These run flats, by the way, are standard because trunk space that might be used for a spare tire in a regular car is used here for a bit of cargo room and, most importantly, stowage of the XLR's retractable hardtop."
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/job.aspx?make=Cadillac&model=XLR&src=
(If Cadillac were so concerned about weight, they wouldn't have equipped the car with a folding hardtop.)

"'Like space savers, manufacturers prefer run-flats because they solve the problem of where to put the spare when they are designing a car.'"
http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/archives/newsmay02.asp

"The Run Flat is a development that will revolutionise not only the way the car is used but also the way it is made. If the absence of the spare wheel is a major opportunity for supersport car designers and developers, the elimination of the risk of a puncture will be a real destroyer of nightmares and certainly a huge personal safety factor of advantage to all motorists."
http://www.pirelli.com/en_42/tyres/euforia/run_flat.jhtml?s1=4400002&s2=10200004

"CTS-V drivers, riding on Goodyear run-flat tires, shouldn't have to face any worries about being stranded with a flat tire. They can continue on their way until they have the tire inspected."
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:7ouxcQz0xqYJ:biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040109/clf047_1.html+cts-v+"riding+on+goodyear"&hl=en

"'The Eagle F1 provides excellent performance for the F430 and at the same time Goodyear's run-flat technology guarantees the highest possible level of safety should the driver have a puncture'"
http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=2353558
No mention of the weight savings in not having a spare...

"Run-flat tires come standard on the Z4 to get rid of the spare and free up space in the trunk for the often talked about 'two golf bags.' The Z3 trunk barely had room for a bowling ball bag. The run-flats gave us a few jolts as we ran over road kill on a few South Carolina back roads, but the trade for the trunk space is fair."
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=184&sid=184&article=5466

"Numerous Benefits
With run-flat tires, there is no need for a spare wheel or a car jack, for that matter. This frees up space for luggage, lowers cost and saves some weight, which makes for a small gain in fuel economy."
http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4021164&src=News
I see 3 reasons for having runflats, not only one as you claim. "...some weight...small gain in fuel economy" Perhaps they listed that last for a reason?
Rolls Royce Phantom has runflats? Now, do you really think the engineers behind this car were that concerned about saving weight? Getting out to fix a flat in the middle of highway traffic (or at night, in perhaps an unfamiliar part of town in your RR Phantom)...now, that makes for a far more compelling reason to have runflats, wouldn't you say?

"Goodyear, pioneer of the run-flat tire, developed it for such cars as the Corvette and the Plymouth Prowler. These specialty two-seaters have humongous tires and no space to tote a spare. Run-flats were born of necessity."
http://www.roadandtravel.com/carcare/runflattires.htm

No mention of weight here (although they do cite convenience, safety, and space savings):
http://www.runflat-system.com/sr_e/sr_top_e.html

Again, only a passing reference to weight is made (but the themes of convenience, safety, and space savings are revisited):
https://www.bmw.co.za/Products/Runflat/benefits.asp

"Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight."
village idiot

Seriously, if Dodge wanted to really save weight with the Viper, it would do what BMW does for the M3 and what GM does for the Z06: simply equip the car with standard, lighter non-runflat tires, but with a can of fix-a-flat. That would also do away with any need for a tire-pressure monitoring system (as cars with runflats tend to have), which only contributes to even more weight. But that wouldn't be as convenient or safe, now would it? And how much space would be left in a Viper's trunk if it came equipped with a spare tire and wheel anyway? Obviously, there must be some other reasons for having runflats. I think even you might be clever enough to figure it out.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you can skim my posts and pick out single words and sorta argue an inconsistency with some obscure link you found on google.
I didn't find this one by google:
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/magazine_articles/Motor_Trend_article02.14.jpg

Nor do I need google to find the curb weights for the Vipers by C&D and R&T. The actual print articles right in front of me seem to be sufficient.

I dont have every torque spec and capacity memorized like you viper nerds do.
p.s. Pyschologists will tell you that people start to take cheap shots when they feel they are losing the argument
Not too bright yourself, huh guy? :2tu:

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the tire manufacturers that market their run-flats as safety and convienence features (or upgrades).
Weight is a bigger concern of manufacturers. Especially since they have to meet very tight CAFE standards. Its not easy to make up for the Viper when it gets only 12mpg in the city. The worst car out there is the H2 at 10mpg. So every ounce of weight out of the viper where you can is important. Trade off for a hard ride? big deal, that wont hurt sales. But if they dont meet their CAFE, they have to pay fines i believe.
As for the XLR hardtop. As long as the SL has a hardtop, it MUST as well. That would be like offering a cassete player instead of a cd. Canvas tops will be a thing of the past one day.
When I say weight is the only reason, its the only reason it must use them right now because of the back breaking ride. I cite lexus as an example which taught the industry a lesson:
They put those solid rock tires on the new SC430 as a 'safety and convienance and more golfbag' feature for their new car. Except the ride was so murderously hard, customer complaints forced them to switch back to regular tires.
Once they perfect them into softer riding, cheaper and lighter, they will be as standard as power brakes..
but we arent there yet and so they have only one major advantage right now.

And i dunno about the fix-a-flat. I had that in my ferrari and 2 years later, the one time i actually needed it, i go to use it and the can was empty!!!
I think Porsche had the best solution. They use a collapsible donut to save space. Then they position it in a way that it becomes part of the crash structure and crumple zones. The undercarraige is completely smooth and there is room for 2 golfbags as well. :2tu:

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw topgear last night and it looks like they had a zonda convertible. So hopefully the stig gets it in the dry. My bet is that it will beat the lambo due to its power/weight in the same way the Ford GT and C6 p/w payed dividends.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autostream - How the hell do you know what the automakers reasons were for changing to runflats? Also, how do you know that some of the people you have been arguing against regarding that very reason do not work for one of the OEMs? Read into these 2 questions and you should be able to understand why when you tell someone in the "business" why they did something, when it really wasn't the reason, they may tend to disagree with you.

Enough said?

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite right. Autostream, you need to read a little better. Or at least lose the tunnel vision that makes you so confident that you know more than anyone else.
BMW is not a tire manufacturer. Last I heard, they build automobiles, and have tires supplied to them. Go ahead and try to dispute that.
Regarding the XLR...thanks for confirming yet again that having a folding hardtop without major penalty in space is more important to Cadillac than the weight savings from not having a spare. Of course, this refutes your earlier position (that it only could have been done for reasons of weight).

Lexus...what are you talking about? They still offer runflats as an option:
"With the optional run-flat tires, you can drive your SC up to 100 miles at 55 miles per hour, with no air pressure at all [4]. Meaning you don't need to carry a spare, and you don't need to take risks changing a tire at the side of a busy road.
http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/safety.html#disc4
Notice how they put that under "Safety" and not, say, "Performance." And they don't mention any weight savings. Are you trying to convince us that Lexus is a tire manufacturer?

More on the Lexus:
"...stowing the roof eats precious cargo space.
That problem is exacerbated by the standard trunk-mounted temporary spare tire, located aft of the area reserved for the folded roof. With the roof raised, there's enough storage space for a weekend getaway, but with the roof retracted, there's barely room for a toothbrush.
Optional Bridgestone or Goodyear run-flat tires (245/40ZR18s) eliminate the need for the onboard spare (they also come with a built-in tire-pressure monitoring system that checks tire pressure every 15 seconds), greatly improving cargo capacity. Even with the roof collapsed, the run-flats ensure enough trunk room to carry a full-sized golf bag. We can't believe that anyone with this kind of money to spend would fail to consider opting for these optional tires."
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/lexus/sc430/100320550/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=44864

"Porsche...The undercarraige is completely smooth and there is room for 2 golfbags as well.
Not in the trunk there isn't (unless those 2 golfbags are completely empty or designed for mini golf). The 996 has only 4.6 cu ft of trunk space. Compared to 8.8 cu ft for the SC430 and 11.6 for the XLR with their tops up. If you use the interior compartment space of the Porsche (it's a 2+2), then yes, you can fit 2 golf bags in it. But that doesn't say much compared to other 2+2's, now does it?

"Trunk space? Forget it. There's 100 litres of what Porsche calls luggage space under the front hood, actually just enough room for an overnight bag. The real cargo space is inside the car. Fold down the rear seat back and you can fit a surprising amount of groceries, or a golf bag or two, in the 201 litres of cargo space you've created."
http://www.fyiedmonton.com/cgi-bin/niveau2.cgi?s=sport&p=43348.html&a=1

I'd be very surprised if even one golf bag fits comfortably in there:
http://ckautos.com/img/items/item_1376_34f.jpg

And does Dodge really make enough Vipers to meaningfully affect CAFE standards? I seriously doubt it. If they were so concerned about economy, they wouldn't have equipped it with such wide tires. (Or even a V10 for that matter! LOL.) In any event, there's negligible difference in EPA figures for the '92 Viper vs the SRT-10. What's the effect of 20 lbs (saved by omitting the spare) on fuel economy of a 3400-lb car anyway? And the effect of 10 lbs (or probably even less), after you consider that larger wheels and those runflats and the tire pressure monitoring system are put on the car?

Since you've failed to answer the question (twice already), I'll go ahead and print it out for you:
"Curb weight is down about 100 lb. to 3380."
---R&T on the SRT-10, October 2002

When they weighed it on the scales for their S&GT issue, it was within 10 lbs of that figure (3390 lbs). That's 95 lbs less then the Gen1 Viper they weighed.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not easy to make up for the Viper when it gets only 12mpg in the city.

It always surprises me when people site the Viper as a gas hog. :shocked:

The far LESS powerful Ferrari 360 is rated at only 10MPG in the City/16 highway! With an easy average of 13MPG for mixed driving. For a car with similar acceleration to the Viper, the Lamborghini Murcielago is rated at 9MPG and 13MPG! For an average of 11MPG in mixed driving.

So the Viper's 12/20MPG put in perspective is pretty awesome with it's 16MPG average. :2tu:

Coincidentally, 16MPG is what I average in daily driving, with a best of 26MPG on a couple longer trips.
I get better gas mileage than most of my friends with SUVs, and I regularly drive my car with enthusiasm :laugh:

I remember that Clarkson was getting ribbed on Top Gear that the Ford GT that they tested averaged 4MPG. :eek:

But most people who can afford high performance cars can afford a few bucks more a month for gas anyway.

How did this discussion digress to run-flat tires and MPG anyway?

I saw the latest Top Gear and they ran the Chrysler 300C, a Holden, and the Jag X-Type-R against one another on the beach! With one comparative test being which car could dig a hole in the sand the most quickly!

And then tested the new 997 Porsche on a rain soaked track! :p

I understand that the show is more for entertainment purposes than for any realistic automotive performance appraisal, but some people don't realize this. :eek:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... Like I said, some of what the SRT-10 loses in not having a spare is put back on through heavier tires.

Talk about a spin,lol. You should work in politics. Reading what you just wrot...you seem to be say that switching to run-flats wouldnt save any negligable weight. And you'd be dead wrong. Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight. They ride like they are made of solid metal so they need to save a lot of weight to make the switch worth it. Sure the tires themselves weight just slighty more (approx 10%, prolly less for the wider viper tire), but the weight savings due to skipping the jack, spare tire, spare tire well, tools, and associated bracketry MORE than outweigh that. Its also saves space and mpg, but weight is the main reason.
And I KNOW you know this! But you cant argue my points on the whole, so you have to find a little snippet and try to pick it apart in a pathetic attempt to prove me wrong.

I can get a gen1/gen2 for 3300lbs which is less than any srt10. Maybe motor trend is wrong or maybe it was only 1 car ever made that was 3300lbs, or a special model that you think doesnt count- but that still wouldnt matter. My facts are taken from things i read, hear, or see and i remember them correctly to come on here every day or so and rattle off my points in 5 minutes accurately enough.. I'm not making a deposition or writing a thesis so minutia is of least importance to me. I dont have every torque spec and capacity memorized like you viper nerds do. So you can skim my posts and pick out single words and sorta argue an inconsistency with some obscure link you found on google.
But at the end of the day, all your half-ass melee mouth objections of minor details are inconsequential against my major points. Talk about testicles!

Is this your special way of saying, "My name is Autostream, and I am wrong."? So I guess we can all agree the SRT10 is the lightest Viper ever produced. Oh yeah, and if were talking 'special models' there was a SRT10 at SEMA (light wheels and carbon fiber peices) that tipped the scales at 3,150 (if memory serves).

BTW - I'm not sure if you're addressing this post to me, since I made the previous 'spin' comment. FYI - I never made the comment about run-flats. "My name is Onerareviper, and I am right." :D

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, again arguing my minutae!
And all that time you spend in your library flipping through pages to tell me what i already know! You need to read my posts more carefully

I NEVER said:
SC430 doesnt have run-flats as optional (they did a quick U-turn and removed them as standard after complaints).
U could fit a golfbag in the trunk of a Porsche (but you can fit 2 golfbags in a porsche)
The Viper was a gas hog compared to ferrari (only compared to the other CAFE cars -average car chrysler makes)
run-flats dont save space (contrary to your googles press release quotes, manufacturer's always have ulterior motives--->there bottom line)
yada
yada
yada

my whole point which i've said twice, is:
Today's Viper is over-priced and has lost its heritage.
That alone is enough for top gear to dislike it and the sole reason I've made 30 posts in this thread-nothing else
Remember, Jeremy's pet pieve with sports cars (or any car) is hard harsh ride. He said he loved the C4's looks, sound, engine, etc. But the ride was so preposterously stiff that he hated the entire car. (Hated it enough to shred it with a gatling gun)

I would characterize TG like this: Top Gear's Power Laps are very scientificly oriented. The rest of the show is one highly experienced man's opinion along with lots of sarcastic entertainment.

p.s. remember my point! try to argue that. nothing else. And if by some chance, you happen not to agree, state your point for the sake of argument as well. thanks, have a great day :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
run-flats dont save space (contrary to your googles press release quotes, manufacturer's always have ulterior motives--->there bottom line)

You are full of it and cannot read!

My point is that you speak opinion as fact and are full of [******]! Clear enough?

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, again arguing my minutae!
And all that time you spend in your library flipping through pages to tell me what i already know! You need to read my posts more carefully.
If you knew it already, then why would you continue to insist that the SRT-10 weighs more than the old car? You need to think about what to post before you post it. It's apparently a novel concept to you, but don't knock it until you try it.

I NEVER said:
SC430 doesnt have run-flats as optional (they did a quick U-turn and removed them as standard after complaints).
I never said you said that. ;)
But, you did fail to mention it. Wouldn't want us to know the whole story, now would you?
Besides, from what I've read, the SC430 has had runflats from the very beginning. C&D in their preview of the SC back in 2001:
"Only three options will be offered to inflate the SC430's as-yet-estimated $59,000 base price. They are the tail spoiler, the navigation system, and run-flat tires, which add a tire-pressure monitoring system to the car's instrumentation and allow the deletion of the mini-spare to increase luggage volume by 0.6 cubic foot."
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=3092&page_number=2

When R&T first tested the SC430 for their March 2001 issue (meaning they had probably driven it in January), it was equipped with Dunlop SP Sport 2030 non-runflat tires. And edmunds.com's First Drive of the SC back in January of 2001 also says runflats were only an option:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/lexus/sc430/100002017/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=44864

Now, wouldn't you think that if Lexus were concerned about CAFE numbers, they'd equip their higher volume cars (like the LS and ES) with runflats as well? To my knowledge, they don't even offer them as an option on those cars. But then, those cars aren't lacking in trunk space now are they?

I NEVER said:
U could fit a golfbag in the trunk of a Porsche (but you can fit 2 golfbags in a porsche)
But we were talking about runflats and their effect on trunk space. Not on the rest of the interior compartment of a car.
If you recline the passenger seat, you might even be able to fit 3 golf bags in a Porsche. But then you could do the same in something like an Infiniti G35 Coupe. In which case, three letters come to mind: BFD.
Are you saying that there's no more space in the trunk of a Porsche when you remove that spare wheel? Of course there is. Simple mathematics/physics will tell you there is.

The Viper was a gas hog compared to ferrari (only compared to the other CAFE cars -average car chrysler makes)
And that's why Chyrsler doesn't give a hoot about mileage in the Viper: they will sell many 10's of thousands of Neons each year to dwarf Viper sales. And the Neon doesn't come with runflats. By your theory (that manufacturers only use runflats to increase CAFE numbers), we'd have to think they would equip the Neon with runflats. But to my knowledge, they don't. Then again, the Neon isn't exactly lacking in trunk space now is it?
Yeah, the Viper is a real gas hog. Then what does that make these other two cars that were driven over the same exact roads:
C&D Viper GTS vs 993 Turbo S vs NSX-T

run-flats dont save space
Asleep in high school math/physics, I see? Think!: Volume of a cylinder. And then apply that to what your eyes see here:

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

my whole point which i've said twice, is:
Today's Viper is over-priced and has lost its heritage.
That alone is enough for top gear to dislike it and the sole reason I've made 30 posts in this thread-nothing else
Remember, Jeremy's pet pieve with sports cars (or any car) is hard harsh ride.
But if you read Jeremy's article, you'd see that he doesn't think the Viper has lost it's heritage. Even though it's more refined than the old model, it's still rude and crude.
If you think the Viper is over-priced, go ahead and adjust the '92 car's price for inflation. Then add on what it costs to have all of the extras on today's car (while at the same time reducing weight). Not to mention those early Viper engineers didn't have to contend with OBD-II certification, etc.

I would characterize TG like this: Top Gear's Power Laps are very scientificly oriented.
Haha, that's pretty funny.
Yeah, let's lap some cars in a torrential downpour, others on a bone-dry surface. While we're at it, let's fail to note on the scoreboard that some laps were done with another driver (and that the track layout has changed slightly over the years). And if you think that's representative of the SLR's performance, you're sadly mistaken.
Well, at least it appears you're conceding that their "dragrace" segments aren't scientifically oriented. Well done. :rolleyes:

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are full of it and cannot read!

My point is that you speak opinion as fact and are full of [******]! Clear enough?

Hey Michael Moore, this was a perfect example of you people taking what I say out of context in a futile attempt to cast doubt on my comments..
I NEVER SAID run-flats dont save space
And really, you cant be that stupid! Is this what viper guys do when they start losing an argument- take cheap shots and lower their integrity?
If you knew it already, then why would you continue to insist that the SRT-10 weighs more than the old car?

Geez, I went over this 3 times already, I posted the motor trend article saying the older viper was available with 3300lbs. And that is less than the lightest SRT.

The whole story? I could possible write 10 times as much info per post, but i summarize my cogency because that is all that matters. I could provide supporting references, but you arent my professor and you can just google a search to see I am right.

But again, just because a car mag drove an SC430 in 2001 with non run-flat tires, that does NOT prove me wrong. In fact, you have never proved me wrong yet. And everyone has definetly tried, so just start taking what I say as gospel since I have a perfect track record. Just trust me. as for the 'standard' lexus run-flats... Auto Express wrote, "The ride suffered from super stiff run flat tyres, highlighting the surprising lack of rigidity in the car with the roof down. To address these criticisms Lexus has ditched the run flat system..."

Sure there would be more room in a porsche with the spare removed, but so would there be with the back seats as well. But for a purpose sports car (unlike the g35), the porsche holds a helluva lot of space for its size compared to a 360 and a viper.. but thats neither here nor there. Again, it was just a miniscule example to prove a point, whereas since you cant argue my point, you result to arguing stupid facts.

quote]
Yeah, the Viper is a real gas hog. Then what does that make these other two cars that were driven over the same exact roads:
C&D Viper GTS vs 993 Turbo S vs NSX-T
I just wrote before i never ever said that!!! READ!!!

run-flats dont save space
Asleep in high school math/physics, I see? Think!: Volume of a cylinder. And then apply that to what your eyes see here:
I just wrote before i never ever said that!!! READ!!!READ!!

How are pics of trunks supposed to prove Lexus doesnt use run-flats to save weight? Because they save space? well duh of course they do. they also are a safety feature. They also are a convenience feature. They also save mpg. blah blah blah. You may buy a car like that because it has more space, so the company might put that in the brochure to sell more cars. Never mind the fact that CAFE standards neccesitated them anywayz. It wouldn't make much sense to publish a press release saying, 'to meet government standards we've decided to use run-flats.' but it does make sense to say, 'as a companys who cares about practicality and safety, we offer run-flat tires.' when the real reason is the same. Its called marketing and this is just a simple example. Read EXAMPLE. There is no way to definetivly prove you or I either wrong or right anywayz on the run-flat manner. But clever marketing can be deceiving.

Even though it's more refined than the old model, it's still rude and crude.
Alright, now were getting somewhere.. Your first good attempt at making a point.
But i said its way off of its heritage because of all those things added that I mentioned a few pages before. Sure its still wayward and hopeless, but those werent the goals of the 80's viper team. Just the inevitable results of its back to basics design and budget. So in which case I dont see your point. But a valid try :)

... go ahead and adjust the '92 car's price for inflation. Then add on what it costs to have all of the extras on today's car (while at the same time reducing weight). Not to mention those early Viper engineers didn't have to contend with OBD-II certification, etc.
And you'd be right (cept the weight part), yet porsche accomplished moderization with its turbo with even more extras and without a problem and at only 13% more money versus 60% for the viper.

...Yeah, let's lap some cars in a torrential downpour, others on a bone-dry surface. While we're at it, let's fail to note on the scoreboard that some laps were done with another driver (and that the track layout has changed slightly over the years). And if you think that's representative of the SLR's performance, you're sadly mistaken....
First i never conceded anything, but thats obvious
2nd, what ru inferring about the rain? obviously you only compare dry times with dry times. The wet times arent really consistent enough to be of comparable value because they list a few wet variants ('wet',mm''damp'), but you do get a good idea. But they cant control acts of god, so why hold that agaisnt them. They only have the cars for a certain amount of time. A wet lap is better than no lap!

And what car was NOT driven by the Stig???
They changed a few names of the corners, but which part of the track is changed???
And what was wrong with the SLR's 2nd place finish!
btw, still, no one has yet argued my point so i assume you are all in agreement.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you'd be right (cept the weight part), yet porsche accomplished moderization with its turbo with even more extras and without a problem and at only 13% more money versus 60% for the Viper.

You have made that comment more than once here, and it still has no real merit. :eek:

The 911 Turbo was more expensive than the Viper then, and is still far more expensive today, even though the Viper has evolved into a full convertible that can now run against the quickest $$$ Lamborghini built today! :2tu:

Even though you are driven by image and technology as chief signs of value, the key judgement (superior performance) still eludes you. :p

How can you speak of poor value when the SRT-10 Viper can keep up around a racetrack with the $300K Murcilago, $200K Porsche GT2, and the $200K Ferrari 360CS? And it's a convertible! :laugh:

It's just a weak argument. Nobody cares about percentage of price increase. :(
The NSX's price went up to more than the Viper, and yet it is nowhere close to the same level of performance today.
And the 911 Carrera Cabriolet costs the same (or more) than the Viper, but cannot even begin to keep up on a racetrack.

There was an "old" Stig, and the "new" Stig, but their track numbers are separated (at least on one TG website), but there aren't separations of dry track times and wet track times overall. :rolleyes:

They certainly can't control the weather, but they should know enough to postpone a track test until the track is dry! Otherwise the numbers are basically pointless and cannot be comparable between cars.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I went over this 3 times already, I posted the motor trend article saying the older viper was available with 3300lbs. And that is less than the lightest SRT.
And I posted for you to show me any (ANY) road test by Motor Trend of a production gen1 RT/10 that weighs 3300 lbs. I also posted a link to MT's test of the RT/10 in which they cite the weight as over 3400 lbs. I also posted the content of that R&T article on the SRT-10 in which they said weight is down 100 lbs to 3380 lbs. If the '92 is 3300 lbs (as you claim), shouldn't the SRT-10 therefore be 3200 lbs?? If you're saying it's the gen2 Viper that weighs 3480 lbs, I'd like you to show me where that is? This is getting old, guy. Either you put up or shut up. Everything I (and others) have shown should tell you the SRT-10 is lighter.

But again, just because a car mag drove an SC430 in 2001 with non run-flat tires, that does NOT prove me wrong.
When a mag (actually more than one, remember) writes in a preview test of the SC430 that the car comes with runflats only as an option, AND you provide nothing to prove that they had them as standard, then ditched them, no wait, then offered them only as options...it does a pretty good job of proving you wrong.

In fact, you have never proved me wrong yet. And everyone has definetly tried, so just start taking what I say as gospel since I have a perfect track record.
Perfect? LOL. Talk about denial. Take a look back where you said the CL65 has a 6.5 liter engine, and when some of us tried to correct you, you tried to assure us that it indeed had a 6.5 liter. When confronted with the evidence (from none other than MB themselves), all you had to say was:
"well then, looks like i'm gonna stop reading Autoweek from now on."
Ermm...maybe you should stop limiting your reading of Autoweek to only one preview article, and treating it as gospel. Maybe you should read what else is on their site:
"Further, the CL65’s 6.0-liter, intercooled twin-turbo V12 produces a thumping 714 lb-ft of torque between 2000 and 4000 rpm."
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=466
"an even hotter CLS65 AMG, featuring the same 6.0-liter, 600-hp twin-turbo V12 used in the CL65 and SL65 AMG models, will be available as a special-order-only car."
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100240
"The CL65 AMG is new, with 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12..."
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100809

Hmm...taking one early preview and treating it as gospel. With later figures turning out to be NOT what was stated earlier. There's a lesson here. But I don't think you're smart enough to figure it out.
And it's all been downhill from there. You were wrong when you said only the tire manufacturers market runflats as safety or convenience (no answer to the BMW site, I see). For a moment, let's say you're right, and accept that Lexus' real reason for having runflats on the SC430 is for CAFE reasons (despite the fact that their volume sellers, the ones that have the greatest impact on CAFE figures don't have runflats). That still does not get around the FACT that Lexus markets runflats as safety and convenience. Ie., your claim that it's only the tire mfrs that do this is WRONG.
You were also wrong when you said:
Any manufacturer who switches to a run-flat system on a production car does for one reason only. To SAVE weight."
You yourself even explained why this is wrong, when it came to the case of the XLR. (Ie, competing with Benz by offering a folding a hardtop that doesn't eliminate usable trunk space is the reason. Saving weight is NOT.
...and on and on.

as for the 'standard' lexus run-flats... Auto Express wrote, 'The ride suffered from super stiff run flat tyres, highlighting the surprising lack of rigidity in the car with the roof down. To address these criticisms Lexus has ditched the run flat system...'
That does nothing to support your claim that the runflats were made an option only after customers complained.
Also, just because something is written in Auto Express does not mean it's applicable to markets outside of the UK. Do you live in the UK or something?

Never mind the fact that CAFE standards neccesitated them anywayz.
Someone else asked may have asked this before, but I think it's a good time to bring it up again (for you to actually answer): Do you work in marketing/PR for Lexus (or any other manufacturer)? Do you work in engineering for Lexus? How do you know that CAFE standards necessitated them?
Answer me this:
Which cars sell more: SC430 or the ES and LS?

But i said its way off of its heritage because of all those things added that I mentioned a few pages before.
But a lot of those things were added because for the Viper to be a sustainable car (even in limited production), it had to meet the demands of the market place: there are people with $80K to burn out there, you know, who would want (gasp!) real side windows, a tight operating top, electric conveniences, and there are still those who might want something more raw and elemental than you could otherwise get today without having to build the thing in your garage. Is it stupid of DC to appeal to both types of people? Only time will tell. More some people, raw and elemental only go so far; the '92 was nice, but maybe it's time to move on. Point still stands: I'm certain that you'd be still be ******** whether the Viper stood still in time, or if it gained all of those attributes that you desire in a nice luxo Euro ride: it can't win either way.

yet porsche accomplished moderization with its turbo with even more extras and without a problem and at only 13% more money versus 60% for the viper.
Like I said, Porsche wouldn't want to price the Turbo into Ferrari or Lambo territory. Plenty of people out there who'd drop a Porsche and go for the Italian exotics in a heartbeat, should the two cost the same.
The point is: the Turbo got fatter (indisputable) and you think it's OK, while the Viper adds features and weighs less, and you don't think that's OK. Does the Turbo really need AWD? Judging by the GT3 and GT2, the answer appears to be no.

A wet lap is better than no lap!
But that doesn't make it scientific. Why don't I dispel the theory that rubbed two sticks together can create enough friction and heat to start a fire...by doing so in the rain?

And what was wrong with the SLR's 2nd place finish!
It's not representative of how it fares on other tracks. Think about its time over the Carrera GT, its time under the Murcielago, and reconcile that with lap times at the Nurburgring, Hockenheim, and the Autodromo del Levante (in which all three cars were present on the same day).

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The studio (aircraft hanger) filming at the track is this wedneday the 3rd, they are using Richard's red RT in the studio as well, tickets are hard to come by they only offered Richard x6, which one was for me but I now cant make it. There still will a handful of UK members making the trip. All the track filming has been done, so only the studio stuff to do and edit the programme for next sunday night

Have just finished reading The Stig's book (Perry McCarthry) in his varied racing career he drove for Oreca with Justin Bell at Lemans but the viper broke down, he also got a F1 seat but the team never even qualified for a race... Top Gear was going to call the driver 'The Gimp' something to do with Pulp Fiction, but he refused to be known as this incase the name stuck !

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guy's must like Autostream or just like to argue. He's so caught up in his own delusion's of brilliance he just can't and will never see the truth. He know's it all. He can't even concede when he is wrong. This thread need's to die. It started off good[on topic] and then got dragged down with misinformation and opinionated ignorance. I'm surprised you give him this long a leash. All I care about is the result's of the "SRT on BBC Top Gear". Everything else has been brain cell killing nonsence. :rolleyes:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the debate was going in a bit of a loop, talking about spare tires/MPG, and Autostream is clearly not conceeding or learning anything from the actual Vipers owners who know the truth better than he ever could.(being biased towards European cars) :p

But I figured that this thread will linger on just long enough to actually see the Top Gear show and be able to talk about how they talk down the SRT-10 Viper (most likely).

So typical for Top Gear, in their sneak preview of upcoming shows, the only shot of the SRT-10 Viper is one where it's spinning out backwards on the racetrack, as opposed to the Porsche CGT clips (even though the Stig spun the CGT more than once). :eek: :rolleyes:
http://www.racingflix.com/downloadvideo.asp?v=877

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel so much dumber for having endured this entire thread. 9 brain surgeons arguing with a mentally challenged child will certainly win the argument. However, the child will not know that. The brain surgeons will never be able to convince the child that he has lost.

Autostream = child
Viper guys = surgeons

Any questions?

Not from you autostream. Please. You win. You are smart. Go play with your puppy.

Example: "The Viper is a budget exotic. An economy supercar. If you want the performance of a supercar without the exotic technology or refinement and finesse and price of its competitors, then the Dodge is for you." "I've not seen an SRT-10." Autostream

Ask your daddy to take you somewhere to sit in one. Then talk to me about refinement. The SRT-10 is pretty damned slick and refined. Before you talk about the 'brutality' of the car, have your daddy strap you into the passenger seat and take you for a ride. If you are still using the car seat remind him to turn the airbag off.

"Overpriced" - There isn't a car that comes close for the money. The Viper is a bargain.

"Fatter" "Heavier" - well, since they have grown lighter then I guess you just don't understand gravity. They'll teach that to you in a few years. You stay in school big fella.

He even talks about how the Viper handles poorly. What? Skidpads and braking numbers tell me something different. I guess he hasn't gotten around to coloring those pages.

I could go on, but that would just provoke another incoherent, illogical, rambling, uninformed, troll-post.

DC

Autostream

Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg, i keep trying to get out of the in-depth ancillary discussions here, but guibo keeps pulling me back in!
I cited the vipers weight and the benz's displacement from a reputable source. If you disagree, [/b]accuse[/b] them of writing erroneous info- not me! Its not MY problem. If Motortrend made a mistake-I'll edit one word out of my post just to help you and dc sleep at night.
If you want me to respond about your bmw comments, then pm me and we'll finish our discussion there cuz I prefer to talk about Top gear here since, well- you know

I feel so much dumber for having endured this entire thread. 9 brain surgeons arguing with a mentally challenged child will certainly win the argument. However, the child will not know that. The brain surgeons will never be able to convince the child that he has lost.

That is true. Especially if the 9 nerds are arguing that a Yugo is a great car because its the cheapest way to get to work? And then the under-priviledged retard's side is: "we arent talking about bicycles, we are talking about cars. And as a driving tool, its just as wayward and hopeless as its predecesors"

But I dont think you really know what is the argument here about, dc?
I never used the word poorly about its handling.
FYI - skipad numbers tell you about grip, which is totally different from snap oversteer. Either way, if you could put ridiculously wide 345's on a yugo, it would post pretty impressive skidpad #'s as well.

"Overpriced" - There isn't a car that comes close for the money. The Viper is a bargain.
You viper 'experts' have been telling me that it costs $81k or 79k or whatever. Well, the real price is $85,295. but whatever
More importanly, the Caterham 7 ran the 'Ring in 8min 6.2 seconds over 7 years ago and at $29k, its a third of the $$$ of a viper. And you can buy one with a heated windshield, leather, and a spare tire! And the stuff you DONT get, is the same stuff you viper owners have been telling me you DONT want.

And whats this crying about the SLR? All groups of cars will have different positions on different tracks. But we arent talking about the ring or suzuka or laguna seca, we are talking about top gear!
Are you sure the new and old stig are different people? Could have just been a joke. Either way, the same test driver isnt going to be around forever. Sure is nice to have a new car every week going around the same pro track with the same pro driver. What US car show does that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235