SRT retakes Laguna Seca record with 2014 SRT Viper TA!!!

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big deal SRT doesn't offer this to a new generation of buyers...:lmao:

You must be registered for see images attach

EDIT: I found out what this is. A concept from Callaway that will cost in the range of 15k for a wagon/hatchback C7. I think it actually looks pretty good personally, but am very happy that something like this isn't potentially in the works for the GEN V.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the GenV will only get better and faster as the platform gets refined! The only problem I see is some in the viper family have no patients. They spill doom and gloom or threaten to jump ship if our beloved car doesn't perform as they think it should! Even if the car hasn't
hit the production pavement yet! I have one word for those......Aftermaket!

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great time indeed for performance wars! How will the models, or should the models, of Viper and Corvette be compared? Base C7 vs GTS, C7 Z06 vs Viper T/A, ACR vs ZR1? I know the C7 performance models are a few years out but maybe finally the comparisons will be apples to apples.

Caddylac10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to see SRT make some quick changes. The GTS should have been the TA from the start.

However, it's almost an insult to the Viper when so many people brag about the Viper finally beating the ZR1. It wasn't done the first time around so a special edition had to be made. 0.08 is the difference between Randy blowing his nose or not before the drive to save weight. It's not even a second, or a tenth of a second, it's 8 hundredths of a second.

A win is a win and it's clear the Viper has more potential but I wouldn't jump up and down because SRT's newest and best beat a car on 8 year old architecture; albeit a good one with great components, but still old.

It's kind of scary to think what's going to happen when the C7 Z06 and ZR1 come out. Ironically, this is better news for the C7 than it is for the Viper.

And no, the ACR is not justifiable competition to the C7 Z06 or ZR1 and everyone knows that. It's just that the ZR1 is so good it's the only Vette SRT has the ACR to compare to.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're an admitted troll on other forums and are surprised your threads got locked? Perhaps you should read the reasons why they're locked: CF has an "Other Cars" section and that's where the Viper's excellent accomplishments should be announced and celebrated.

But you're free to believe what you like.

jas

Except the last go around where the Viper and ZR1 were mentioned in a MT article CF celebrated it in the ZR1 section. He obviously wasnt the only one who thought the ZR1 was the appropriate section to share the news, as the mods over there locked 5-6 topics on it. You are right, they moved it to the basement "other cars" subforum where any one hardly reads.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except the last go around where the Viper and ZR1 were mentioned in a MT article CF celebrated it in the ZR1 section. He obviously wasnt the only one who thought the ZR1 was the appropriate section to share the news, as the mods over there locked 5-6 topics on it. You are right, they moved it to the basement "other cars" subforum where no hardly any one reads.

Government Motors Conspiracy Theory:D

phavyarden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to see SRT make some quick changes. The GTS should have been the TA from the start.

However, it's almost an insult to the Viper when so many people brag about the Viper finally beating the ZR1. It wasn't done the first time around so a special edition had to be made. 0.08 is the difference between Randy blowing his nose or not before the drive to save weight. It's not even a second, or a tenth of a second, it's 8 hundredths of a second.

A win is a win and it's clear the Viper has more potential but I wouldn't jump up and down because SRT's newest and best beat a car on 8 year old architecture; albeit a good one with great components, but still old.

It's kind of scary to think what's going to happen when the C7 Z06 and ZR1 come out. Ironically, this is better news for the C7 than it is for the Viper.

And no, the ACR is not justifiable competition to the C7 Z06 or ZR1 and everyone knows that. It's just that the ZR1 is so good it's the only Vette SRT has the ACR to compare to.

The SRT still beat the ZR1 with the MPSC. If SRT decided to replace the tires for track ones like the Trofeo. the difference would be around 0.5 sec i think.
So there are good news for the Viper. Vette guys should be afraid with the new ACR that will come with more power, maybe again with full aero and Trofeos on it.
It would probable hit a high 31's at Laguna Seca and maybe a lows 7 min at Nordschleife or under 7 at best

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has been quick to point out that it was ONLY 0.08 seconds, but they shaved 2 seconds off the previous time, and the tires weren't changed. That's pretty significant in my book, special edition Viper or not.

I think what we're seeing is indicative that both platforms are about at their limit of what handling and braking will buy you...in order to get the times lower in off-the-production-line form, the power is going to have to go up. Everyone is assuming that the C7 will be this magical beast that will outperform all in base form, and the C7 ZO6/ZR1 will only be better, but I don't think you'll see significant drops in lap times like have occurred in the past, and I personally doubt the C7 will be vastly better than the C6 Grand Sport that is being used as its benchmark.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what we're seeing is indicative that both platforms are about at their limit of what handling and braking will buy you...in order to get the times lower in off-the-production-line form, the power is going to have to go up. Everyone is assuming that the C7 will be this magical beast that will outperform all in base form, and the C7 ZO6/ZR1 will only be better, but I don't think you'll see significant drops in lap times like have occurred in the past, and I personally doubt the C7 will be vastly better than the C6 Grand Sport that is being used as its benchmark.

That's a good point. GM will have to wait at least a year, maybe two to have a shot at getting the record back with the Z06/ZR1 which leaves plenty of time for more Gen V improvements. Which makes SRT's response time to these events even more awesome. GM had the record for all of a few short months. SRT has made Laguna it's Nurburgring and are defending the top spot fiercely.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! I think i'm in love with that car ... Trying to change my order now to the TA. :omg:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LED's always do that. Don't know the technical reason why, but LED's always blink when recorded on camera. They are not blinking for real, it's the daytime running lights shining but showing as blinking on camera.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LED's always do that. Don't know the technical reason why, but LED's always blink when recorded on camera. They are not blinking for real, it's the daytime running lights shining but showing as blinking on camera.
They are blinking for real - but you just can't see it :)

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is great to see some good news! Well done SRT. It looks like a tie now with the outgoing ZR1 wearing slightly better rubber.

I view the TA as a place-holder for what I hope SRT develops with the ACR. I also liked the Carbon Fiber bits on the car and the brakes. There were probably some intersting conversations between SRT and Stoptech since Brembo basically booted the Stoptech rotors... .

The existence of the TA shows that SRT is committed to top-tier performance and I count that as a very good thing.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has been quick to point out that it was ONLY 0.08 seconds, but they shaved 2 seconds off the previous time, and the tires weren't changed. That's pretty significant in my book, special edition Viper or not.

I'm pretty sure they'll need to do lots of aero work on the C7 ZR1, cooling the forced induction engine and to generate more downforce to make it stick better. Otherwise making more power on a Front engine rear wheel drive set up is very much a situation of diminishing returns even with the new generation of tires available right now.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how the new Snake will do with a few mods and suspension tweaks. Once there are folks out running the tracks , there will be data coming forth and the Viper will slither even faster. Always the case with a new model, that after a bit of seat time, folks figure out the small things that make it faster still. Looking forward to seeing what Mr. Jorgensen and an MCS suspension can do to a 2013??

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What they should have done was also throw a wet skid pad test in there to show how each car handled under wet conditions... I vividly recall the journalists thrashing the new viper (preprod models nonetheless) on a wet track where there were standing puddles....

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What they should have done was also throw a wet skid pad test in there to show how each car handled under wet conditions... I vividly recall the journalists thrashing the new viper (preprod models nonetheless) on a wet track where there were standing puddles....
That video (if we are talking about the same) they were doing it on purpose to get pics

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All light and sound operate on a frequency. Camera's record at a "slower" frequency than LED emits, causing the strobe effect. So the frequency is slowed on camera for the human eye and voila, blinky, blinky. But enough physics...

GO SRT.

Aside: we seem to have a couple of grumpy vette trolls in this thread. Sorry guys, you got beat on lesser tires. You should be used to the beatings by now anyway. Your brief moment of "victory" was against a pre-pro car with a ringer. lol

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking about a Gen V ACR make me harder than a diamond in an ice storm.;)

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviuosly SRT wants the VCA to name the TA:

I'll be back with more, but here are some starters:

Terrified
Terrific
Tire
Track
Tread

Ablating
Abolisher
Abomination
Abracadabra
Abridged
Absconder
Acclaim
Acclimated
Accommodated
Adapted
Addition
Add-On
Adept
Adhesion
Advantage
Apocalypse

I like "Tire Abracadabra", "Track Adhesion", "Track Adapted" and my pick "Tread Absconder" :lmao:

I just got off the phone with Sergio and confirmed that TA actually stands for "Track Aire"

As we speak I'm having my decal vendor produce new "Track Aire" decals to replace my SRT-10 decals so I don't feel left out. If anybody wants some, just let me know.

Cheers,
George