SRT retakes Laguna Seca record with 2014 SRT Viper TA!!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats SRT.....This is what the Viper should have done from jump even with those tires. Not a beat down but certainly bodes well for things to come. So much more improvement to be had its scary. And Im not even talking about the upcoming ACR.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great time indeed for performance wars! How will the models, or should the models, of Viper and Corvette be compared? Base C7 vs GTS, C7 Z06 vs Viper T/A, ACR vs ZR1? I know the C7 performance models are a few years out but maybe finally the comparisons will be apples to apples.
No comparison! There are no base vipers, unless you talking trim. As far as performance there is fast and faster in the viper vocabulary.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job srt!! This is what people expect to see, job well done. Nice to see the production car get a bump in 1/4 mile trap speed.

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.08 Hardly a win. But a win is a win. With that said, this was the latest and great Viper who is still using the out going 2012 ZR1 as a benchmark. When the C7ZR1 gets out, I suspect it will wipe the floor with the "Trans AM" version of the 2014 Viper. With rumors of the New ZR1 being over 700hp, don't think for a moment that this "record" is going to stand for long. The viper is going to need some super flappy paddles, Carbon/Ceramic brakes, big ACR areo and a big bump in power to keep up. While Chevy drew 1st blood, SRT came back giving the ZR1 a minor blemish. Chevy's turn next....could it be the KO blow to the Viper or will it be a swing and a miss?

Go back to the CF forum and. "NOT TALK" about an entry model Viper, one again putting Chevys top model to sleep.

I like corvettes but brand loyal trolls like yourself, make me never want to own another one, if you think that a performance model C7 is
Going to outperform the Gen 5 ACR, you are smoking crack, keep dreaming

Unlike the previous ACR's, Ralph has indicated that the new ACR will have a higher performing engine, unlike previous models, that shared
The same drivetrain, truth is that the viper has ,and will always be the superior car, they only make 2k units / year vs 40-50k a year, no mater what. Motor is in the corvette, it still looks like the other 40k vettes/ year, which is the main reason I switched form vette to viper, a
Choice I will never regret, corvette diehards have bad feeling toward viper, because since it was introduced its been whipping it( yea in recent years corvette will win a test , only to be knocked off a month or two later.

I'm about 30 years to young to drive a vette anymore, most vette guys are old and grey, they are certainly sour in this defeat
As all the posts that were allowed when the ZR won the test were locked when the viper won.

They couldn't come up with excuses, like the still crappy tires on the viper, so what to do?, be a bunch of 60 year old babies,and lock
All the posts

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing like a "Crusher Orange" Viper with a bit of aero and a newly tuned set of shocks to set the record straight.. Hats off to Ralph and the SRT Boyz :2tu:! A set of race headers, light weight competition clutch kit, track alignment, a set of those new Pirelli slicks and good luck chuck (competition)!!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Last edited:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations SRT.

Great car, great color.......just one thing and I am not bashing the "TA" but why not call it the Track Edition......we have First Editions....Final Editions....why not stay with the theme :dunno:

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.08 Hardly a win. But a win is a win. With that said, this was the latest and great Viper who is still using the out going 2012 ZR1 as a benchmark. When the C7ZR1 gets out, I suspect it will wipe the floor with the "Trans AM" version of the 2014 Viper. With rumors of the New ZR1 being over 700hp, don't think for a moment that this "record" is going to stand for long. The viper is going to need some super flappy paddles, Carbon/Ceramic brakes, big ACR areo and a big bump in power to keep up. While Chevy drew 1st blood, SRT came back giving the ZR1 a minor blemish. Chevy's turn next....could it be the KO blow to the Viper or will it be a swing and a miss?

Hahahahahha yea just like the ZR1 wiped the floor with the ACR at the ring:rolaugh:, no wait the ZR1 got stomped,
Then all the tire excuses, forget it fanboy , the viper has dominated the vettes for over 15 years( a couple months went to the vettes) it's over for the vette, it has already been stated that the ACR will have more power, and 1500lbs of
Downforce, the gap is only going to get wider, go read your magazines and drink your Starbucks , the only floor that is going to get mopped is the vetts, sad thing is, that you know I'm right .

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Just a little Side-by-side comparison of the Cups (left) to the Corsas (right) It's amazing the time the TA ran on those tires!

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ***** is MT reported the TA had no radio, so everybody thinks the TA is some kind of Stripped down, 10% track-focused machine

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The radio has no effect on lap times. Just because GM isn't smart enough to sell a ******** track focused car doesn't mean everyone else has to sell cars with pleather couch seats.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The radio has no effect on lap times. Just because GM isn't smart enough to sell a ******** track focused car doesn't mean everyone else has to sell cars with pleather couch seats.

Not the radio itself, but the accompanying speakers are HEAVY.4 high-end mid-range speakers with integrated tweeters could easilyweigh at least 20 lbs, with another 10-15 lbs for the subwoofer. I wouldn't go as far to say that 30-35 lbs would make or break the Viper's performance, but to say that the weight has NO effect at all contradicts the laws of physics

Junk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had just watched the previous episode because my father-in-law (corvette fan) wanted to put it in my face. I just sent this back.

Thank you SRT

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the radio itself, but the accompanying speakers are HEAVY.4 high-end mid-range speakers with integrated tweeters could easilyweigh at least 20 lbs, with another 10-15 lbs for the subwoofer. I wouldn't go as far to say that 30-35 lbs would make or break the Viper's performance, but to say that the weight has NO effect at all contradicts the laws of physics

In endurance racing, yes 35 lbs may make a difference in fuel consumption, brake and tire wear, but for 3 laps. No. Try it for yourself. You can add weight, depending where it is and go faster. Radio will not have an appreciable affect on times.

Caddylac10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT still beat the ZR1 with the MPSC. If SRT decided to replace the tires for track ones like the Trofeo. the difference would be around 0.5 sec i think.
So there are good news for the Viper. Vette guys should be afraid with the new ACR that will come with more power, maybe again with full aero and Trofeos on it.
It would probable hit a high 31's at Laguna Seca and maybe a lows 7 min at Nordschleife or under 7 at best

It would be fair to give the Viper the opportunity to have equivalent tires and breaks but that's where it stops. The ACR never was and never will be a true competitor to not only the ZR1, but cars in its class. The ZR1 would easily have smashed the TA with an ACR set up.

The aero on the ACR is unlike any other street car. The GTS already dynos more than the ZR1 so people can't complain there's a power issue. Of course more power will automatically help. The aero on the ACR makes the biggest difference. What do you think would happen if the ZR1 had an equivalent setup? Honestly? The Viper would still be catching up. It's not a fair comparison. You have to be honest.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be fair to give the Viper the opportunity to have equivalent tires and breaks but that's where it stops. The ACR never was and never will be a true competitor to not only the ZR1, but cars in its class. The ZR1 would easily have smashed the TA with an ACR set up.

The aero on the ACR is unlike any other street car. The GTS already dynos more than the ZR1 so people can't complain there's a power issue. Of course more power will automatically help. The aero on the ACR makes the biggest difference. What do you think would happen if the ZR1 had an equivalent setup? Honestly? The Viper would still be catching up. It's not a fair comparison. You have to be honest.

You're right, the Viper would be catching up and by the 4th lap pass the ZR1 because it would start to get heat soaked.....you'd have a better chance of staying in the race with a Z06 and big aero. In my world, laps only matter if I can do more than a couple at a time.

Cheers,
George (aka TA)

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't be upset just because SRT/Dodge cares enough to send the very best!! :rolaugh: So GM fanbois, tell me exactly what the SRT TA would do with the same tire equivalent as the ZR1 (MPSC) or better yet the Trofeo? No need to hypothesize. We all know it would be an even larger margin. Well, would you like some whine with that cheese? I can see that your ******* are all twisted so please exit back to CF. lol

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But Caddy-Lack, the ZR1 doesn't have an ACR set up and who is to blame for not offering that? SRT? Ha! Ha! I think GM is it's own worse enemy at times.

The SRT TA made better on that day at LS, so just accept it. It happens to everyone. Someone else will step up and beat the Viper TA, it is inevitable. Such is life in the car world. The true meaning of being a champion or how great of a champ you are is how you rebound after a loss. The Viper TA, while not by a huge stretch of the imagination, did come back and shave 2.2 second off it's time in the matter of months to barely edge for the crown. I am sorry but I don't see this rebound happening quickly like this with most all other manufacturers out there. GM would still be narrowing down the committee members in that time period. The margin of 2.2 seconds still tells all that there was sure a lot moer left in the first test car that was not utilized as that is a HUGE margin for the laps talked about.

The great thing is the Viper Nation can live again in the real world, not this hypothetical, sand box politics world it seems most of these other manufacturer bench racers live in these days. Again past performance does not guarantee future performance. No guarantee the next ACR (whenever it arrives, if it arrives) will beat the TA or whoever trumps it. But then again if I was a bettering man and had a farm to leverage, I sure would not bet against the ACR.

For now the Viper TA has the crown and all must bow to the King! I mean let's be fair and let's be honest with ourselves, a real world record sure holds a lot more clout than a theorectical fantasy world record doesn't it. If it doesn't, I am sure one the of the members here can hook you up with the guy who paints dolphins and lil' ponies on the hood of cars for your next vette. The great thing is after a few laps we would not have to look at it in the rear view mirror anymore. If would be back there further and futher each lap until it is eventually just a spec of glitter dust.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that you are aware of the 2013 model year cars available now. For instance, the Porsche 911 GT3RS has aero easily equal to the Gen IV ACR. The aero on the Gen V Viper TA is minimal. It only produces 300 pounds of additional down force. If you analyze the photos of the ZR1 utilized in the comparo test, it does have some aero on it. Probably close to what the Viper aero kit produces.

As someone already noted, Chevy does not use the ZR1 in competition. The ZR1 engine is subject, as also already mentioned, to heat soak.

The Gen V Viper with the mini aero kit beat the previous record time of the Gen IV ACR at Leguna Seca. When the Gen V ACR comes out with a full ACR aero treatment, its time will be MUCH faster. In fact, I would not be surprised to see a time that is more than two seconds faster.

The SRT team is lean and mean. Think of them as a special ops team capable of retasking and pivoting as necessary to produce a winning result. The Viper is one of very few production vehicles that has always had a policy of rolling improvements - even within a model year. I do not think that the Corvette development team has the same flexibility.

Bottom line. The Viper is back. It will, once again, eventually dominate its class in road racing. It will, once again, eventuall dominate its class in endurance racing. And everyone in the automotive world knows it. Why? Because the SRT Team is a very special group of people who have been through very tough times together and appreciate what they now have and their duty to use it to take on all comers and crush them.

[/QUOTE] The aero on the ACR is unlike any other street car. The GTS already dynos more than the ZR1 so people can't complain there's a power issue. Of course more power will automatically help. The aero on the ACR makes the biggest difference. What do you think would happen if the ZR1 had an equivalent setup? Honestly? The Viper would still be catching up. It's not a fair comparison. You have to be honest.[/QUOTE]

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that you are aware of the 2013 model year cars available now. For instance, the Porsche 911 GT3RS has aero easily equal to the Gen IV ACR. The aero on the Gen V Viper TA is minimal. It only produces 300 pounds of additional down force. If you analyze the photos of the ZR1 utilized in the comparo test, it does have some aero on it. Probably close to what the Viper aero kit produces.

As someone already noted, Chevy does not use the ZR1 in competition. The ZR1 engine is subject, as also already mentioned, to heat soak.

The Gen V Viper with the mini aero kit beat the previous record time of the Gen IV ACR at Leguna Seca. When the Gen V ACR comes out with a full ACR aero treatment, its time will be MUCH faster. In fact, I would not be surprised to see a time that is more than two seconds faster.

The SRT team is lean and mean. Think of them as a special ops team capable of retasking and pivoting as necessary to produce a winning result. The Viper is one of very few production vehicles that has always had a policy of rolling improvements - even within a model year. I do not think that the Corvette development team has the same flexibility.

Bottom line. The Viper is back. It will, once again, eventually dominate its class in road racing. It will, once again, eventuall dominate its class in endurance racing. And everyone in the automotive world knows it. Why? Because the SRT Team is a very special group of people who have been through very tough times together and appreciate what they now have and their duty to use it to take on all comers and crush them.
The aero on the ACR is unlike any other street car. The GTS already dynos more than the ZR1 so people can't complain there's a power issue. Of course more power will automatically help. The aero on the ACR makes the biggest difference. What do you think would happen if the ZR1 had an equivalent setup? Honestly? The Viper would still be catching up. It's not a fair comparison. You have to be honest.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

OK Bob, who is going to make the first T shirts and hats with the logo "SRT Team Six" on them? Gotta good ring to it. I dig the special forces comparison you made :2tu:

Cheers,
George

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on digging the special forces comparo! The Navy Seals of the supercar design world.

Did I miss something? I thought the recently-tested ZR1 dynoed quite a bit higher than the Gen V, hence all the controversey about the ZR1 being considered by some as a ringer.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that same day, same dyno comparison on Viper Alley yesterday. The ZR1 made considerably more power, up to 85 ftlbs in the midrange, and still a significant amount at the top. Made me wonder how the TA managed basically the same lap times as I thought the two cars are similar weight.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that same day, same dyno comparison on Viper Alley yesterday. The ZR1 made considerably more power, up to 85 ftlbs in the midrange, and still a significant amount at the top. Made me wonder how the TA managed basically the same lap times as I thought the two cars are similar weight.

I think I recalled the TA had the suspension option of "rough track" and "smooth track" settings. I read that to mean on smooth track the car is lowered and optimized for cornering. Add to that a very good performance alignment, a little better brake upgrade and in the hands of a pro driver like Randy, you're going to get much bigger gains than a hack driver like me (and 98% of every other Viper owner) could deliver. I don't even know if you can lower the ZR1 easily if it has the magnetic shock option without going aftermarket. The secret to the better time in this case is the ride height IMO.

Horsepower is not really going to be the key...it's hard to hook up 640 instant h.p. as it is. Better tires, suspension, aero and weight reduction is where you'll see the most results. You really get diminishing returns per dollar spent on h.p. vs everything listed above for better track times. Luckily we get to start with 640 h.p. so adding another 60 h.p. might make the car slower if the rest of the chassis isn't up to the challenge.

Cheers,
George (aka TA)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take another 60 hp and be happily slower if I was in the market. Then again I am not a competitive racer.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was very disappointed at the 1st round loss. But I'm glad SRT was able to get it right the second time around......I'm Pretty sure Ralph was visibly upset having the New Viper beaten by The Old Vett ( This Should Never Have Happened!! ). But they were able to make so minor tweaks with the Brakes and suspension which brought the car up to *****. We can make excuses why the Viper lost during the first round; as Ralph stated: " Randy has always struggled with The Viper ". But the bottom line is Randy Pobst is a professional driver; The New Viper should have Never lost to The Old Production Vett. This kinda makes you wonder what Chevy has in store for the new ZR-1...Hope I'm not ******* anyone off....But the 1st round loss was embarrassing!!

One a side note: If I were a gambling man; I would bet that new TA model would go into production as the New ACR....