SRT Viper vs SLS AMG Black Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MB has nothing to be ashamed about, that is a BA car.
However, the 2 are not directly comparable. The target market is not the same.

A 1-3 sec difference on a track I will never race at will not make a difference at all on a car I would intend to drive on the street. Buy which ever one stirs your soul, regardless of price or what some magazine put down for a lap time.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that whining about driving a manual transmission is instant grounds for revoking your man card. Anyone know what Lieberman daily drives? Probably a Volkswagen Jetta. This guy isn't a car guy.

I do love the SLS Black Series, however. I just don't think the negative comments about the Viper were deserved.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think there are valid criticisms of the Gen V

It being a manual and it being loud, is absolutely insane.

Saying it isn't a drivers car, means there is zero credibility.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are being a bit too tough on the tester.

Impressions:

1. Multiple tests have now confirmed that Gen V, while a technically superior car to previous Vipers, is a cut and paste Gen IV.1. Most of the performance changes are easily made in the aftermarket (not all, such as some quality of forged pistons).

2. The drag race appears to have been lost (and not barely) based on gearing and the DCT. Was the Viper Trap Speed in the 1/4 much less than the 129x mph of the SLS Black?

3. No excuse for the massive Viper handling shortcomings on the car. Even in the Video it is apparent that Randy is tip-toeing through the the corners (probably explains the much slower than possible lap times). My Gen IV Coupe feels very planted in corners and the ACRs certainly are. Hopefully Dodge/Chrysler/SRT will retrofit all owner cars with fixes free of charge.

4. It is to be expected that SLS Black will be more refined. But to give up 120 trq. or so and still be faster--that was amazing.

5. This level of cars = big leagues. Viper is coasting on incremental improvements in a solid Gen IV plus leather and gadgets. The Next C7 Z06 and ZR1 will have big R&D and the Porsche GT3 already does. The Next Porsche GT2 will likely be fearsome as well. So SRT will need to get very serious (without increasing price beyond about $125k) to continue to run with the pack or else just stay on the porch as a curiousity product. This means redesign of chasis, cockpit (roomier and lower step in), engine redesign, transmission and (IMO) looks. The Viper has been and should continue to be about dominating performance with increased refinement.

I love my Viper and the Viper concept. However, sometimes it is best to get the recipie complete and tested before releasing the product. It is hard to blame anyone but SRT for the results of that Video.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Subaru WRX's are manual trans. But, Johnny seems to prefer mooching the press cars daily since his own car is a teenager's econobox. Hard to imagine someone buying a WRX that dislikes the Viper so much. WRX is like the entry level enthusiast's car.

I really figured him for a Jetta or Camry type.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does anyone put stock in anything associated with this rag? Once again MT is just an unprofessional group and organization. Can not believe this Lieberman still has a job after all these years. The guy is a waste of skin. Just tired of the comments, the bs, the showmanship to try to make entertainment out of the most trival of issues or complaints. Tired of Randy and his drama on the track. The thumbs up, the this and that. Yes he has skills and much greater drivng skills that I will ever have, but all this MT and ass kissing by that rag to his ego has just made him a bought and sold driver. There is nothing objective in his driving anymore. He does what he is told, period. SRT bent over and kissed MT's behind with the TA hype only to be trashed once again. Why deliver a single vehicle to Motor Trend? Publish your best SRT times and that is that, end of debate. Who cares what a bought and sold agenda magazine has to publish.

What SRT should do is not provide a single Viper to any of them for a test, none to them for review. End of story, let the community just decide on purchases. Just stop the complete marketing department and build the car. Knock a bunch off the MRSP and call it a day.

My only comment I will make good or bad is after owning a Gen II Viper now (actually Gen 1.5) and hearing the exhaust note out the back (just Borla cat-back) and how sweet it sounds even compared to the full Bellanger race set up I had on my Gen III, I firmly believe SRT should have sent the exhaust out the back. I do feel out the side was a mistake. It will always sound a little funny spitting 5 cylinders out the side. That may have fixed a lot of the interior drone comments the owners have put in the reviews and the magazines keep harping on each and every review.

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Used to date a journalist for a few years. She informed me that:

To get a story posted, there are 2 questions:
-Does it provoke emotional response (ie controversial)?
-Why now? (Versus something that is no longer new).

Knowing this puts the video in perspective. The goal isn't to inform, offer buying advice, it is to inspire controversy. Hence our somewhat whiney tester spends a few minutes telling how bad the Viper is, then a few minutes telling how great the Viper is.

One can see how accuracy gives way to controversy goal. If wanted to be more accurate, would compare base SLS to base Viper or the souped up track version head to head like ie
SLS black and Viper TA.

The ailing magazines best day when they did their old Viper test and then got Ralph's attention to make TA.
Somehow I don't think they are going to get Ralph to make a Viper gullwing

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well on the plus side, print is dying at a rate of 20% annually so unless someone goes on their site to view, magazines are a dinosaur anyway. 8-P

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freaking loud exhaust out the side is what I love about this car. My C6 Z06 had it out the back and I could barely hear it. Now I scare the heck out of old ladys and children, and even myself. I love the sound when I rev match to downshift to 3rd and the sound just bellows out the side and scares the crap out of the guy next to me. Hahahaha. Oh well, different strokes...

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MB has nothing to be ashamed about, that is a BA car.
However, the 2 are not directly comparable. The target market is not the same.

A 1-3 sec difference on a track I will never race at will not make a difference at all on a car I would intend to drive on the street. Buy which ever one stirs your soul, regardless of price or what some magazine put down for a lap time.

I agree with you, but SRT is marketing the car now to compete with these cars. Old viper out and new civilized viper in to be a daily driver like your Mercedes. But the reality is it is still crude and for the ones who desire luxury with speed the Viper will fall short. Sales might suffer because of that or once luxury buyers driver them for awhile will end up selling them. I like my '96 GTS because it is crude, shakes, rattles, love that lumpy cam and it is LOUD. Paddle shifting to me is pointless

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canuck,

You are 100% correct, the comparison should have been the Black Series against the Gen 5 TA.

Having said that, I do think the Gen 5 in that story would have won the road course time if it had equivalent tires. The AMG had Sport Cup 2's which I assume are the latest and greatest R-compound from our French friends. Look at 7:29 of the video, that tire on the AMG has very, very little tread void. Also, there is very little tread depth, especially on the shoulders. Our German friends wouldn't shave down a tire for a little added performance, would they?? Since the Sport Cup 2 doesn't even show up anywhere on the net that I could find, maybe they are molded that way :smirk:

My understanding is this new Sport Cup 2 is only available on Black Series AMG cars.....how do you say "Ringer" in German?

The AMG weighs 400 lbs more than the Gen 5, yet runs 130 mph speed in the traps in less than ideal conditions. Even with 8000 rpm and DCT, that is one very strong motor for the stated horsepower.

Since the Gen 5 already has stability control and traction control, I do think it is time for SRT to step up with an electronically controlled differential to compete with what is out and coming out on the market.

Cheers,
George

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets all remember as well, MT serves to get eyeballs on their site. What does that better than controversy.

A more apt comparison would have a GTS with an optioned out interior. A bit stacking the deck to compare the base SRT with the top of the line interior of the SLS Black. While the faux leather is nice inside the SRT, the wrapped leather dash is fantastic.

In the end, doesn't really matter. Those with the Gen V are happy, I assume those with the SLS Black will be happy as well.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $300,000 I'd rather have this:

You must be registered for see images

AND this:

You must be registered for see images

Fastest track car that requires more skill to drive - Viper TA, plus a beautiful, comfortable car that's fast and easy to drive - The SLS Roadster.

~Jay

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what we all need to remember is why we love the viper. It is a car that constantly reminds you of YOUR shortcomings as a DRIVER. All the other cars compared to the new Gen V to date basically drive themselves with all of the added computer technology. It takes a real enthusiast to appreciate the Viper in this day and age when one can go buy a GTR or a SLS and drive fast with little to no skill letting the traction control and stability systems do all the work.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would I buy 3 Vipers for the price of 1 Mercedes..... Well, ok, if I could afford 3 Vipers I would LOL.

Yes, the Mercedes was faster on the track. I'm sure if I invested say $20K more in the 1 Gen V .......I'd still save another $180K or so over the Mercedes and I could apply some of this to the interior he didn't like as well.

I'm sure if we ran a Veyron against the SLS --the SLS might lose this comparison :)

Seemed to be a glass 'half-empty' comparison in favor of the Mercedes. The reviewer just as easily.....and in my opinion, 'even easier' could have said, you get 99% of the performance at 1/3rd the price of the Mercedes.

SRT--please LEAVE the manual transmission. Some of us think it is a 'drivers car' and enjoy manually shifting....... THANK YOU RALPH!

Last edited:

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This comparison isn't equal, even with the TA. The equal comparison would be Black Series against ACR. Regardless, I enjoyed the video :2tu:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listen to Randy when he races both cars, you can tell the AMG is boring as hell, as he is much quieter. It isn't like he has to think more, he is paddle shifting! Anyways, I am really annoyed at the "should have brought out the TA!" comments. I really hate the TA, if anything it was a sore loser bandaid by SRT to create it just to get ahead of the ZR1 when the SRT/GTS models should have handeled it outright from the BEGINNING!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our (Viper owners) butts are red from all the a$$ kicking the GEN 5 is getting. I'm sad.

Where's all the new gen 5 coupe owners drag times? .....So I can stop reading all our excuses (more excuses at .org then a White House press conference) on why we are getting waxed...

(I'm holding out for a vert but, starting for the first time EVER to think twice.)

Status
Not open for further replies.