SSG Paint Problems HELP

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Snake Skin Green Paint 08 Viper. 259 miles on it. Paint chipping and some areas inside the wheel well paint wearing off?? Does anyone have any suggestions. I have called Customer service and the Dealer with no help so far!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck's number is: 1-914-763-3136...know that one by memory!~! See if he can help you out. Good Advice, Mark!
(BTW: Mark, love your signature...is that one for our good 'ole buddy, DAVE?????) ~juli

V

Venomiss

I have a Snake Skin Green Paint 08 Viper. 259 miles on it. Paint chipping and some areas inside the wheel well paint wearing off?? Does anyone have any suggestions. I have called Customer service and the Dealer with no help so far!

Pictures by any chance? Where inside the wheel wells and where chips?

Dealer is who- who did you speak with?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had Viper delivered enclosed carrier. Drove two houses in Reverse parked in Climated controled garage. for five weeks waiting for clear roads and salt to be washed away before driving for the first time. April 5th conditions are gerat and time for the first drive. 80 miles. next day drove 159 miles with some highway driving and parked back in Garage. I was having 3m clear bra installed as I did with my 02. When I arrived at the shop the owner said the paint was chipped on the rockers and showed me. I called dealers and wrote emails to Chrysler talked to three people in INDIA they were no help. Then SRT rep called me back told me to take it to a dealer and he will email them that I am bringing it over. I arrived the dealer knew I was coming, he took pictures but it was very difficult to see hundreds of small chips in the rockers both sides. Not the bumper cover or the rear Quarters just the rockers. the regional rep is on vacation this week so I will get some 3m work done and wait to see what the rep has to say when he returns. It is going to need paint work done if I have to pay or Chrysler, it is going to be painted and I am not happy with that at all!!!!!!!!!!! I bought new because the 06s I looked at were all repainted and I did not want that type of viper!! Now I spent an additional 30K to have a repainted Viper anyway NOT HAPPY!!!!!!

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. I have been very fortunate to not have any problems with this. Please keep us updated.

On a happier note, at least you have one of the most beautiful colors on a Viper! That should make it all a little easier to get through.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you need to clear bra it right away. Driving 250+ miles on it these tires is enough to get a lot of rocks thrown down the rocker panels. Its part of having a car with huge tires, 600hp, and the ability to rip the pavement up....

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have said this many time, the paint on vipers is the worst i have ever seen. my 2003 has more pits than paint under the side sills and there are chips in the paint on the body everywhere. This on a car that now cost us bear $100,000.00 out the door. there is no excuse and DC has done nothing for me as they state in the warranty that there is no warranty for chips. Hell I had a 1988 Ferrari that I sold recently that had just shy of 50,000 miles on it and it has zero paint chips anywhere on it. My wifes 2006 Grand Cherokee has no chips in the paint and it has 25,000 miles on it. My brother in laws 2008 Corvette Z06 has no paint problems with over 20,000 miles. Chrysler should step up to the plate and repaint all of our cars just like Ford had to do back in the 80's with their lousy silver and blue paint jobs. Why should we as owners have to pay for clear bra's? Dc should have installed this at the factory as they know they have a problem.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your paint problems. My 05 has GREAT paint, the best of any car I've ever owned. My friends NEW 08 vette has the WORST paint I have ever seen.....orange peel, uneven, etc. When it comes to the rocker panels they WILL have a tough time with "sand blasting" because they take the brunt of the road sand and tiny rocks, etc. I finally put on side sill difusers, and made an aluminum "protection plate, if you will" that is on the inside of the rear portion of the wheel well, and protects the bottom portion of the lip of the well, and travels up along the wheel well lip about 8 inches. Looks "factory" and totally protects this area from sand blasting.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my experience with my SSG and Copperhead. I did not have the side sills of the Copperhead covered in Clearbra with I got it. Frankly I didn't know I needed to...I watched as the pittting became worse When i bought the SSG I said I need them both clear bra covered. The Copperhead is so pitted (5K in miles) that they coudl not clear bra the inside of the wheel wells. I drove the SSG for about 159 miles before I was able to get it in for the full clear bra. Neddless to say the day before I brought it in I had to use a touch up pen to get rid of the already numberous pits. What really amazes me is that they have been produing this car since 2003...you would think they have seen plenty of this by now and would apply a factory clear bra to the side sills....No questions asked. Both my side sills cost $350 to clear bra from just under the "Viper SRT" emblem all the way down to the lift area...then all the way back to the tips. The cut line is right at the bend in the sills. I did far less clear bra on the Copperhead, because I know the side sills need to be repainted...really makes me mad also. If Dodge is going to give the Viper the kick...then me should make them fixx all the 2003+. It is BS that I had to cover the side sills in clear bra...knowing that the clear bra will eventually change coloors, and need to be replaced due to the amount of heat at the side sill.

Sorry done with my RANT.

Every SRT owner needs to jack the car up and look at the side sills....not just glace at them...the damage is occuring underneath and in the wheel well. For God sakes they painted an aluminum panel that can't flex...therefore the paint chips.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Everyone thanks for all your questions, and advise. The paint problem on my 08 SSG coupe is going to be covered by DODGE!!! I received this word the other day. I still have not been paid for this but I took care of it myself and have turned in the bill to the dealer. I will let you know how this ends. I am hopefull it ends well!.
Thanks again!

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any update on the final ending? When they repainted the side sills, did the paint match perfectly? I assume it would because the car is new but with all the pearl/gold color changing effects in the paint, it might be a bit harder to get a perfect match even on a new car. How did it turn out?

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just paint, If you don't want paint chips, park it in the garage and leave it there. Here in Atlanta, if you drive your car, expect sand and road debris and have your paint touched up as you feel it needs it. A good paint shop will take care of your worries when the time comes.

Reaction score
Just a thought but could the heat along with the rockers being aluminum be making the paint more brittle? This would explain the excessive chipping that you don't see on cars that the exhaust runs under the car. If this is the cause do you really think there is anyway to actually eliminate the problem without clear bra from day one?

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any of you have seen an older SRT with higher mileage, say 30K+, you will see that the paint is virtual gone where the aluminum side sill wraps into the fender well. If you look under the car it is chipping away as well.

Here is a paint process we are going to try on our Copperhead, some time soon.

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/

I am having it painted on my 2005 Cadillac CTS-V within the next couple weeks (entire front end virtually...plastic bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors). Unlike clear bra, size is not an issue ("do you want 12", 16", etc...") nor are bends, curves, bubbles, that funky look it has sometimes, and the hard edge it has that makes it look like a scratch at certain angles. They can paint this material on old paint or new paint. It must be a clear coat finish though. The shop that is doing my CTS-V, has been painting this on for the last three years. My only concern...which is the same for the 3M clear bra we put on the 08's entire side sill...is what the heat will do to the color. The owner of "ArmorCoat" said it will not be a problem (but, can you really trust that comment, until this has been done on a Viper SRT's side sill?). It is like paint...and our clear coats don't discolor with all the heat, so I hope the same whould be true for the Copperhead and this product. The shop has a lifetime guarantee on the work so there really is no risk in trying.

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was concerned with that problem on my 08, so I fabricated sort of splash guard out of plexiglass, sanded and painted with the body color. I have mixed emotions as to whether or not they look OK. Here's a pic.

viperbaypines004A.jpg

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I managed to make it 500 mi. with out any chips. had clear bra installed 2 days ago and can't even tell it is on th car. TEXAS VENOM (Thom) did a great job.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was concerned with that problem on my 08, so I fabricated sort of splash guard out of plexiglass, sanded and painted with the body color. I have mixed emotions as to whether or not they look OK. Here's a pic.

viperbaypines004A.jpg

Can you post some closeup pics of those flaps.

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post some closeup pics of those flaps.

The first 2 pics are the front and the 2nd two the rear.

SplashGuard001.JPG

SplashGuard002.JPG

SplashGuard003.JPG

SplashGuard004.JPG

I've got a little over a 1000mi on mine with no chips or pits. They get pretty dirty inside and out so I guess they're working.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SplashGuard004.JPG

I think if you lose the angle bracket and cut the glass to curve
with the body it wouldn't look so mud-flapish. Great idea and guaranteed
to work. Nice job.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck's number is: 1-914-763-3136...know that one by memory!~! See if he can help you out. Good Advice, Mark!
(BTW: Mark, love your signature...is that one for our good 'ole buddy, DAVE?????) ~juli

Chuck is great for this sort of stuff.

By the way, when did you get the 08 Juli?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck is great for this sort of stuff.
By the way, when did you get the 08 Juli?

Just Monday evening, Keith. Haven't had much chance (rain/no time) to really try it out yet...GTS Blue w/silver stripes vert (would've preferred a coupe, but this is the ONLY '08 available in this area)...H-spoke wheels, swapping out the shifter and air filter and that's it, it's gonna stay STOCK!!!! Hope to meet up with you guys at SOME point this year! Missed ya at tatortoga, Keith! ~juli

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 08 GTS Blue has those same chips after about 1000 miles. I then applied the clear bra over the chipping. The clear bra has hid most of the chips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456