stand still or on a roll

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious, on a Gen II would you rather race from a dead stop or on a roll in 1st or 2nd? say against a ZO6 up to about 80 - 90 mph.

OP
OP
M

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matter of fact it does. I always learned to pick my fights with the odds tilted in my favor. I have had many modded cars from 1.2 litres to 7.4 and each had their own strengths. I was just curious how you would rather pick your fights with the V-10.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a roll. The Viper's really a roadrace car, not a straight-line machine, and it has horrible traction problems on the launch. From a roll, there's no traction problem unless you're running 500+ RWHP, and the Viper's massive torque curve comes into play.

An ideal Viper drag race would start about 25 mph and end around 140.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always try race from a roll if possible 20-30 mph. The Z06 will nearly be even with you from a stop up til 50-60 mph. 1st and 2nd in a Z06 is geared for maximum straight line acceleration.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree! I ALWAYS go from a roll. I still have trouble with traction in 3rd gear.... But the acceleration is incredible.

Now if you have Albert's setup, you can pretty much do whatever you want!

Good luck.....

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but you beat somebody "on a roll" and it doesn't mean squat. When John Force and all the quarter mile dragstrips convert to "on a roll racing" then I'll put some value to it...maybe. Go to the Fbody, Mustang or Ricer boards and read about them running some guy from a 40mph roll and hanging with him up to 80mph. Give me a break. Line up on Gandy some night and watch the Mustangs and ricers next to you try to lure you into a roll. Bogus. Learn to hook that bad Viper up! Dead stop to the end of the 1/4 is the only way to go.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question was not "what's normal drag racing?" or "what's 'honorable' racing?", the question was "what's best for a Viper?" The answer to that question is "from a roll". You appear to be answering a somewhat different question.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"would you rather race from a dead stop or on a roll"

"curious how you would rather pick your fights with the V-10."

I'll never brag about winning a fight that doesn't mean anything. It's like the Florida Gators playing all those wimps at the beginning of the season and then bragging about their record. - that one oughta get some excitement going.

BTW I enjoy the mod updates.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Ben summed it up most accurately. Our cars were designed for road racing. Our most impressive STOMP capability will be from a roll. PERIOD.

I used to have a 72 455HO Trans Am. Now that puppy was set up for dead stop Drag Racing. MIckey Thompson's on the back and Skinnys up front with 3.90 gears and traction bars. It was practiacally unbeatable to 100 - 7.5 Sec. But so what??? If I ever ran into a Viper on the street - he would dust my a$$. I had no highway pull at all. What was I supposed to do? Yell NO FAIR, lets do this from a STOP?

Anyway, I think your best bet against that Z would be just a slight roll. If he will give you that, give him the move and then pass him like your Grandma on her Rascal!

Regards,

OP
OP
M

Mike L

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My intent was not to ask what what was most "honorable" or what mattered the most, I wanted to know how you would rather pick your fight to play to the Viper's strength given either option. I agree that the standing 1/4 would be the most important measure but usually you don't have that option. Thanks guys, I hope to soon find out firsthand when that V-10 is sitting in my own garage!