Starting issue is back...AGAIN!

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to Larry Macedo for tring to help me out on the phone.

What happens is the starter just acts as if it doesn't get power, like it's locked out. The car always has power. So it's not a dead battery/low power situation.

I've wired arould the clutch safty swich.

Swaped start relay (ABS light to Start)

Re-set PCM

Dis-arm / arm alarm system

Anytime this happens I can push start the car. And its fine for a few weeks.

After talking to Larry, here is what we came up with for possible issues

Starter Solenoid

Alarm system

Intermintant harness

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard many cases like these and it turned out to be the alarm that somehow got into the way of the indeed locked out starter. That's my guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll be picking up a new starter today. We'll see if that solves it, if it doesn't, I'll be in need of a new alarm system. :mad:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like bad brushes in the starter to me. Sometimes make contact sometimes not. To confirm power to starter when no crank put a volt meter on the + at the starter and hit the key. That will tell if all the switches and relays work. If no power start back tracking the voltage to where it isn't.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like bad brushes in the starter to me. Sometimes make contact sometimes not. To confirm power to starter when no crank put a volt meter on the + at the starter and hit the key. That will tell if all the switches and relays work. If no power start back tracking the voltage to where it isn't.

Good advise from RAYSIR. Also look at grounds and ground straps for good clean connections.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can push start it - does that not rule out an alarm issue? I was under the impression that the alarm system cuts the fuel.

bingo! It is not the alarm if you can bump start it, if must be the starter or wiring harness to the starter (sometimes the fuseable links fail also)