Stereo Install Problems with Cigar Lighter Fuse

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I lacked the patience to install my Pioneer AVIC N4 myself considering the threading of the wires under the carpeting and mounting the GPS/brain under the seat, etc. so I had a local shop with a good reputation do it. I noticed right after that both my cigar lighter outlet was not working, as well as the outlet in the console. The guy at the shop overcharged me far beyond what we had agreed upon, so I was already mad at him, and assuming it was just the fuses, I drove off and figured I would change them later.

Today, I dropped my viper off at the local dodge dealership for an inspection sticker, and I told them to replace the fuses for me. I just got a call saying the issue was not the fuses, and the whole setup involving the lighter and what not will need to be replaced, the dash removed, etc. with a parts and labor charge of $300.00.

I’m not really sure where to go from here as the dealership has really ripped me off before, so I am going to get a second opinion before I pursue anything. They did agree to put their statement into writing though, so if the second opinion checks out, I will probably be knocking on the stereo shops door.

Has anyone had this experience before, with or without the installation of an aftermarket stereo? Is this something common that can be fixed with a different approach?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It might just be a disconnected harness under the center console. Easy enough to pop up and look at. I wouldn't think the shop would have needed to tap into the cigar lighter for power with the factory radio wiring right there, but they may have had the console apart for more room and forgot to plug it back in.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might just be a disconnected harness under the center console. Easy enough to pop up and look at. I wouldn't think the shop would have needed to tap into the cigar lighter for power with the factory radio wiring right there, but they may have had the console apart for more room and forgot to plug it back in.
Reputable and car audio shop seem to be mutually exclusive, LOL. Great suggestions. Chances are very good they forgot to connect back what they disconnected. Hopefully they used an adapter plug for the radio instead of hacking up the OEM wiring.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the dealer offer some Vaseline at least with complete dashboard removal? Wow...

OP
OP
R

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am hoping its a disconnect... And I am finding what you say about the audio shops to be true. I am planning on doing my interior and cluster with LEDs in the near future, so I think I will just check out the wiring on my own when I have it open. Hopefully I wont need my radar detector until then.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I am hoping its a disconnect... And I am finding what you say about the audio shops to be true. I am planning on doing my interior and cluster with LEDs in the near future, so I think I will just check out the wiring on my own when I have it open. Hopefully I wont need my radar detector until then.

It takes literally 5minutes tops to pop that console piece up and look. Just pull the shifter ring hex bolts, then pull up on the back of the trim piece, it just snaps in place. Pretty sure the cig lighter power plug is right at the front. That would drive me nuts to leave that for any length of time.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would agree with this. It's more than likely something that is not connected. Don't get hosed anymore. Do it yourself! The stuff comes appart really easy and more than likely you will find the problem right away.
I replaced my head unit and all the speakers as well as sound proofed my entire car. Here is my thread http://socalviper.com/message-board/index.php?topic=1642.msg16638#msg16638
Good luck PM with questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave