Still Need to Know What Kind Of Paint Is On A 2000 From The Factory`

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all...I posted in October trying to find out what brand paint was used on the 2000s. I got one response that said "Sikkens", and that was what was on my '96 too.

I did contact the Wizard,who recommended Sherwin Williams.

I need to get an exact match for a tiny touch-up on my GTS. We have tried test panels of R-M, the metallic was off. And, we tried Sherwin Williams, where the flake was right, but the hue was slightly off.

If we can find out the brand used from the factory..we'd be set.

Anyone know? Or, know who I can call at Chrysler to find out?

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt: look at posts by member IDG23. Apparently he paints vipers for the factory. He can probably tell you.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look under SRT forums for a post on 2/8/06 called
"how do your paint jobs look" ?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The paints probably don't look right due to lack of primer. I would find the right color primer first and then try the paints you bought. Dunno...might help. I remember I was doing the same thing to my black NSX...the reason the touch didn't look right was because even though the car was black, the primer was white. It made a huge difference on my car.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
go to any good body shop and they can mix a small amount and tint the color until it matches perfect.The type of paint manufacturer has nothing to do with wether it will match or not, its all about the person mixing the paint. you may have to give them 5-10 bucks, but when they are done matching your color take what they made for later touch ups.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
o and don't go to a paint supply store, all they will do is look at the formula and make the color, they don't get into make your color perfect by any means, they just go off what the manufacurers formula tells them

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also don't forget to wait until it drys. The color might be a perfect match when wet, but once it dries, its shade can either be darker or lighter. I learned this the hard way during Art school.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QuickV10...not looking to argue...but the paint maker will indeed play a part ion how the color matches..or doesn't.

My shop mixes their own, and tints, etc for a good match. We found on a '96 GTS that no other company but Sikkens had the correct metallic flake for a perfect match.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
QuickV10...not looking to argue...but the paint maker will indeed play a part ion how the color matches..or doesn't.

My shop mixes their own, and tints, etc for a good match. We found on a '96 GTS that no other company but Sikkens had the correct metallic flake for a perfect match.

Matt, That may be true with the metallic flake theory, But from experience, the paint company wether it be sikkens, dupont, r-m or any other, also have variences to there own colors. So you could type his code into your computer and come up with 2 to 3 different variences even with sikkens. Variences could be lighter, darker or bluer, greener and so on.

Lets remember here that he wants to touch up a small spot on his car. So I don't car if you do a spray out with sikkens or any other company and the spray out is a deadnuts match. If you are using the paint the way it was not intended to be used, like a blob of touch up, 99.9% of the time it will not match and dry to dark and the metallics won't come to the surface and flow like they are intended, too.

Hence a good paint man should be able to come close to matching the paint with touch-up, but would gaurantee you he would have to play with even sikkeens to lighten or darken to match the color as close as possible with the naked eye for touch-up.

I have been in the autobody business for 18 years and my dad for I think a gazzillion, and this info is bye personal experience. And if any one needs any other info on parts or painting I will be glad to help.

QUICKV10